Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Guess the Grade on a couple of gorgeous 1957 Topps

Hi all -- just bought a large raw collection from someone who was liquidating an estate. In addition to some well-loved 1954 and 1956 Topps (average condition probably in the PSA 3/PSA 4 range), there were a TON of gorgeous 1957 Topps cards. Multiples of pretty much every superstar (mostly mid-grade), including four Mantles (have not submitted them yet, but expected grade range of PSA 4 up to PSA 6), five Mays, three Aarons, three Williams. However, the most exciting part was seeing the sheer number of cards included from the tough mid-series, and the condition of the cards. There are a ton of absolute blazers! I have not gotten around to scanning too many of them yet, but had a couple that I wanted to share with the board. I apologize if the scan is not good enough to render any opinion -- I am a long-time PC user who is now getting used to a new scanner, a new Macbook Pro, and iPhoto.

Here is the picture:

The Robinson looks and feels like a 9 to me, but I am setting my expectations at PSA 8. The back centering meets the 90/10 standard for a 9, but there is a slight tilt to it. Same with the Cimoli (of which there in only one 9 in existence).

I really got a great deal on the entire collection. Due to circumstances (mainly the seller just wanting to get rid of the stuff and not wanting to take the time to get 95% of the stuff out of storage to let me look at), only part of the collection was available for viewing prior to me making an offer. Most of the nice 57's were included in inventory that the seller had represented as early 90's unopened material and on which I factored very little into my offer. I'll have a hard time ever getting this kind of a deal again.

Comments

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Beautiful cards, I would agree with your opinion on the Brooks Robby card. It looks fantastic. Maybe it being ever so slightly off center keeps it from a 9? Congrats.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    That sure looks like a 9. That is an incredible find. How did you do price-wise for the group?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely beautiful pack fresh cards! 9's!Best looking raw 57's I have seen in a while. Please, more scans!! image
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options

<< <i>That sure looks like a 9. That is an incredible find. How did you do price-wise for the group? >>

Ridiculously well. I'll make a long story short. This was initially presented to me as a modern collection. The seller (who was merely liquidating an estate) provided an inventory listing of mainly early 90's sets and unopened boxes. Nothing on the list jumped out at me other than some 92 Fleer Update sets a large number of products that would contain Jeter RCs. She also said that the "most interesting stuff" was in binders that she actually let me take for a couple of weeks to peruse. Included in the binders were a number of 54, 56, and 57 Topps. Alone, it was enough to make me want to deal with the hassle of the early 90's inventory (which was a requirement of the seller). So, I put together a fair estimate of the absolute minimum value of the old stuff if I sold it piecemeal and then offered 60% of that value. I added $300 for the 90's inventory, hoping to just break even on it. Total was $2,800.

I picked up the 90's inventory on Saturday and got it home and started going through it. It was much more than advertised. There were actually three unopened boxes of 1993 Upper Deck SP that retail for around $375/each. But the kicker was another plastic bin with three binders with more 56 and 57 Topps. And that's where the Brooks Robinson and the sharpest of the 57s were located. That's not even all of it. There were two more of nearly every star from 56, including Mantle (one likely a PSA 2, the other likely a PSA 5).

The crazy thing is that the seller told me on Saturday that "It is a good thing you came along, because this stuff was headed to the landfill if you didn't want it."
  • Options

<< <i>Absolutely beautiful pack fresh cards! 9's!Best looking raw 57's I have seen in a while. Please, more scans!! image >>

Will do. I hardly have any of the really sharp ones scanned yet, but will add to this thread when I do get them scanned and ready for submitting. In the meantime, here are a few of the superstars and better conditioned semi-stars from the first binders that I have already sent for grading. Most look better in these scans than they are reality. They are mostly PSA 3 to PSA 6 in my opinion (I think the semi-stars like Martin, Maglie, Ashburn are at least PSA 7). And obviously some centering and miscut issues on a few.

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    coucher-
    Sorry to hear your bad fortune! This is a great story and the cards are extremely nice. The scans show the condition of the cards very nicely- even with the mid grade stars. I am jealous.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Wow nice pickup on the cards. We just don't come up with cards like that every day.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Do you guys think they are real? Take a look at Aaron ... he's batting the wrong way! image

Congrats on your find. Keep us informed on your grades. MORE PICS PLEASE.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    WOW!!!!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised you didn't get them for a hundred bucks if they were headed for the landfill. Landfill and $2800 don't make sense to me. Either way it looks like you did real well.
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    I want that Brooks Robinson card!
  • Options
    Nice pickup.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but both of those cards look trimmed.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice pickup.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but both of those cards look trimmed. >>

You didn't disappoint me at all. The cards actually measure perfectly. No trimming concern whatsoever.