Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1985 WWF O-PEE-CHEE Series II PSA Graded Cards...

I think this is a cool set and extremely tough condition wise so I thought I would share a few of the cards I have gotten so far from the set.

Here they are.

One of only 8 cards so far to grade Gem Mint. This set has not been heavily subbed so that number will grow for sure but the odds are very low for a Gem Mint grade relative to the cards that exist from the set.

One of the few Rookie cards from the set. The British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith was awesome!

As a tag team The British Bulldogs for the mid 80's era was a huge team. Dynamite Kid was amazing in the ring and said to be a crazy street fighter. This is his first card and his default Rookie card.

This is a great card of Andre after he won the Battle Royal at Wrestlemania II with the NFL players. As I have said in other threads these cards actually came out in 1986 but for what ever reason are stamped on the back Copyright 1985. Maybe that means when OPC got their copyright license with the WWF.

Cowboy Bob Orton was a great heal and helped make Wrestlemania I happen. He is the father of Randy Orton and was a great wrestler in his time. This is his Rookie card.

Tony Atlas is one of the few wrestlers to this day that is still huge. You see all of these photos and the guys are a fraction of their self and he is still jacked. His rookie card is in the 1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A and one of the most difficult cards in high grade.

What was so awesome about the 1980's wrestling was guys like this. A Russian at the height of the Cold War. A huge man and a great performer. This is his Rookie card.

I am working on finding Mint or higher grades of the Wrestlers singles cards. I do not like any of the action cards from any of the WWF sets.

Comments

• PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Amazing how many of the people pictured on these cards from the mid 1980's are no longer with us.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Hey Dpeck, who is the big card in the series? Also what does a nrmt raw set normally run? I've seen some of that stuff but brushed it off as "80's-90's junk"
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Randy Savage is the best card in the set.

If it is NM I would try and pick it up for $15 to $20 perhaps if you want to own it but if you are tying to flip it there is really not much margin in this set in that grade at this point. You can get vending sets for $30 to $40 that you have a shot at NM-MT to Mint cards.

• NHLfightguyNHLfightguy Posts: 525 ✭✭
    Love this OPC version.
    Is Piper and George Animal rookies in it?
    The Series I which is the same photos from the traditional Topps version has a Piper and George The Animal Steel card in it.

The Roddy Piper card that I like the most is his 1985 Wrestling All Stars magazine card.
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I just bought a nmmt set from vending for 35.00 shipped. Still waiting for it to arrive. Will be interesting to see how I make out.
  • NHLfightguyNHLfightguy Posts: 525 ✭✭
    Cowboy Bob Orton is cool card, When I was a kid, loved him as Ace and being Pipers bodyguard. Probably one of the real sleepers in the set. Same with those Bulldog cards. Never liked them guys, but I know they were popular in tag team stuff.

What deal on 1985 Wrestling All Stars cards. Were they cut outs. I see 4 Sharp has few up.
    Yankeeno good luck. I bought a large number of cards from Canada Collect and if that is who you bought your set from you have a nice shot at some good looking cards.

NHL, the 1985 Wrestling All Stars is a magzine set with cut out cards and has 54 cards in total. Every once and a while you can find one on EBAY for a good price. I am not certain how to cut them out in order to actually get a grade on them as the perforations sometimes run into the other card. 4SC is the only seller I have ever seen with graded examples.
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Yup, that is exactly who I bought it from. I dont know if I will sub any I think are 9/10 worthy. I might and then just replace the cards later on if it makes me some nice return otherwise, I'll just put the set in pages and on the shelf. I dont normally collect wrestling but 85s and 87s bring back memories so they are fun to have in my collection.
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I am happy to see collectors pick up these wrestling cards for nostalgia sake.... don't recall seeing any wrestling when I was at the National a few years ago in Baltimore. Seems like there would be someone just to be different.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    I just purchased a few more cards from the set from a great seller from the board.

Tsalems1.

Tom is a great guy to deal with.

This is an upgrade from my PSA 9. Bob Orton is very underrated and was a huge part of Wrestlemania.

Ricky Steamboat is a class act. I am very pleased to add this one to my collection. It was really cool meeting him and running home to grab some cards to get signed. I purchased the first PSA 9 and of course wanted the first PSA 10.

One of the things that still makes this set cool is that many of the cards have never been graded. When a card is the first to be graded you have to submit the cert to get it listed and this is the first Bobby Heenan to be graded. This is a tough card and a great action shot of The Brain.

Nice pickups, I agree the action shots ruin the set as far as the registry goes but I do like what you are doing and picking up the individual cards in high grade. Now you have to get them all (the individual cards) in the series...
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    The skit cards just kill this set for me and I have no interest in those cards.

I am trying to put together the base cards of the wrestlers and it is going to be really challenging.

This set doesn't have a fraction of the potential the Wrestling All Stars have but it does have some insanely tough cards and I like the challenge.

There are a few that may never grade mint which is certainly interesting to me.

• tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook

• << <i>
    This set doesn't have a fraction of the potential the Wrestling All Stars have but it does have some insanely tough cards and I like the challenge.
    There are a few that may never grade mint which is certainly interesting to me. >>

Very true. Much like Topps Baseball & It's O-Pee-Chee counterpart
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • I really like this set. I've looked through lots of these cards that were straight from packs with perfect corners but none had centering like these examples.
    I have 30 sets or so and busted a wax box and these cards are super tough in high grade.

There is not the demand to make the prices high but the rarity is there and I enjoy the hunt.

• eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    The centering on some of these cards makes them super tough. Your battle royal card is the by far the best centered one i have ever seen. I don't really collect for condition and got a 9 on the bulldogs card on a a sub awhile back. I just got an 8 in a recent sub which is fine for my rookie collection. If anyone is interested in the 9 let me know
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Awesome stuff! Im on the hunt for a Davey Boy Smith PSA 10 RC
    Greatly overpaying for a 2000 Fleer Showcase Tom Brady PSA 10
    Jake Roberts

This listing just hit EBAY tonight and I snagged it. I have at least 35 of these raw and have yet to find one I could submit. They either had snow, or were diamond cut, or off centered, or bad corners, or too much of a rough cut and finally a huge yellow print dot right by his name.

I am excited to pick this up and it knocks another one of the base cards off my list.

• << <i>Jake Roberts

This listing just hit EBAY tonight and I snagged it. I have at least 35 of these raw and have yet to find one I could submit. They either had snow, or were diamond cut, or off centered, or bad corners, or too much of a rough cut and finally a huge yellow print dot right by his name.

I am excited to pick this up and it knocks another one of the base cards off my list. >>

Congrats, very nice pick up and good price too.
  • tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Nice Dave!

I have a couple well centered copies
    Not sure if they will 10 though...
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
    There are already 5 PSA 9's so I wouldn't put this card in the almost impossible category like King Kong Bundy from this set but it has alluded me in the raw copies I have purchased.

At this price I would rather just buy one already graded in the top grade vs. sending in a few of my questionable one's looking for a PSA 9. The resale prices of cards from this set in a PSA 8 are very low for most and in many cases less then the grading fee so I am very careful which cards I send in from this set.

• SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Great pick up. That is a blazer and congrats on getting one step closer to completion.
    Having all the base cards in PSA 10 is epic, keep it going....
    With my experience so far of handling these cards I just don't see it possible to have all of the base cards in a PSA 10 or the entire set for that matter.

There are a few cards like King Kong Bundy, Hercules Hernandez, and Jim Neidhart that are almost impossible in a 9 let alone a 10.

I recently purchased another set off EBAY after seeing the pics just for the Bundy as it appeared centered enough for a 9. I am not sure if the card is strong enough to grade that high but I do plan to send it in and it is one of the few cards I would be happy if I got it back and it graded an 8.

The centering on some of the cards I mentioned can be 80/20 or worse almost every time.
    I picked up a few more cards for my set recently and got them in the mail today. One was an upgrade and the other three were fresh additions. I am moving closer to having all of the base cards in graded form. There really isn't anyone else who is actively buying these on the registry which is nice so no one is really in my way. This set will never be crazy expensive due to a number of issues but it is very satisfying to collect as the condition sensitivity of the cards is off the charts. I purchased these from 4SC and the vast majority of the cards they have listed are in a PSA 8 grade so it is clear that these in mint or higher are not easy to come by.

Here is a link to my set that I am working on.

dpeck100 OPC WWF II

I never added a scan of the Jake Roberts to the thread so it is included too. A PSA 9 sold last night for $56 which was a very strong price. It looked like a bidding war between two people and a third bidder came in to drive it higher. I was really shocked at how much action it got. I have seen the card languish in the past at $14.99 with no bids.

• dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    These are really cool. Thanks for sharing!
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
    Who are the ones you need to get yet? I suppose I can answer my own question but do you want to get a few of the "action" cards like Savage Attack?
    I need the following.

Terry Funk, King Kong Bundy, Hercules Hernandez and Siva Afi.

There are a few of the cards like Savage Attack that I will add to my set over time. There is one listed currently on EBAY but I want to take my chances with the raw one I have that is strong. It has the best centering I have ever seen on the card. I also have a few Terry Funk's pulled, a Siva Afi and a King Kong Bundy to submit soon to PSA.

I had quit buying raw examples of these but saw a set with a nice Bundy and Savage Attack and pulled the trigger. I will post scans.

As far as the Herc it may be one of the toughest to find modern trading cards I have ever seen based on centering. Absolutely brutal. It is in the same camp as the Ray Stevens from the 1982 Wrestling All Stars Series B. Every single copy I have ever seen of that card is off side to side. The Hercules card is off in every direction possible.
    Here are the scans of the Savage and Bundy I plan to send in and a typical Hercules Hernandez card from the set. They come off centered like this in every direction.

I am concerned with the lower right corner on this Savage. It is rough along the bottom but I am afraid it is too rough into that corner. Otherwise this is a great example of this card.

This is the best centered Bundy I have ever found. I don't have any other one's I could send in with the centering being as bad as it is.

This card is brutal and you can have razor sharp copies but an immediate dead end because of centering almost every time. I have close to 36 and don't have any that have grading worthy
    centering.

I have had this card on my watch list for at least four months. 4SC starts them high and slowly lowers them if they don't sell so I finally decided to pull the trigger to upgrade my set. I have a self submitted PSA 9 that it replaced. It was the only card that I have for my set that I didn't have the top grade so I grabbed it.

• SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Nice! I see you have the highest Weighted GPA. Looking forward to seeing a completed set from someone. Keep it up!
    Jake The Snake Roberts is the second inductee announced for the 2014 WWE Hall of Fame.

He was a great performer.
  • man the guns on tony atlas !
    I edit almost all my posts because my auto correct is crazy !
    I got in the mail today two new PSA 10's from this set and will be getting the final card I needed Hercules Hernandez later this week to complete my base card set.

This is not a popular set but it features some cool shots and the cards are very condition sensitive. I have said it before but I have no interest what so ever in the skit cards and have a few of the better action shots graded.

I may be able to upgrade a few but some of these will never grade a PSA 10 and I have my doubts on a few that they will ever grade a Mint 9.

This has been a fun little project.

• PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Strange timing, I was just looking at the pop report of this set and wondering why more had not been graded. I think you explained why.

<< <i>Strange timing, I was just looking at the pop report of this set and wondering why more had not been graded. I think you explained why. >>

I have a King Kong Bundy I sent in that is the best example I have ever seen and I knew it was a PSA 7. I have nearly 40 other raw one's and most are 95/5 centering or 90/10.

The only major rookie in the set is the Randy Savage and many of the base cards the performers have cards in the Wrestling All Stars relegating these to a distant second place in terms of desirability.

I do think a British Bulldogs and a Davey Boy Smith in a PSA 10 might do well but if it is 4SC who lands it I will be hoping to buy it the second it is listed.

Have you opened many wax boxes of this product?

<< <i>Have you opened many wax boxes of this product? >>

Only one. If I recall you get 9 cards a pack and two are ruined from the wax and gum.

I purchased 30 something vending sets looking for nice raw cards and have a ton of these.

<< <i>With my experience so far of handling these cards I just don't see it possible to have all of the base cards in a PSA 10 or the entire set for that matter.

There are a few cards like King Kong Bundy, Hercules Hernandez, and Jim Neidhart that are almost impossible in a 9 let alone a 10.

I recently purchased another set off EBAY after seeing the pics just for the Bundy as it appeared centered enough for a 9. I am not sure if the card is strong enough to grade that high but I do plan to send it in and it is one of the few cards I would be happy if I got it back and it graded an 8.

The centering on some of the cards I mentioned can be 80/20 or worse almost every time. >>

Just checked the POP report and there is only one Bundy graded and that was a 7. Is that the one you show here?
    Pretty amazing that is as good as it gets so far for Bundy (PSA 7).

<< <i>

<< <i>With my experience so far of handling these cards I just don't see it possible to have all of the base cards in a PSA 10 or the entire set for that matter.

The centering on some of the cards I mentioned can be 80/20 or worse almost every time. >>

Just checked the POP report and there is only one Bundy graded and that was a 7. Is that the one you show here? >>

Yep.
    Here are the recent additions. I have all of the base cards of the wrestlers graded now.

The Hercules Hernadez is a super tough card and a PSA 8 is a great grade for this card.

I was happy when I self submitted a PSA 9 not to long ago.

Terry Funk is one of the more under rated wrestlers I think. I waited on a few PSA 9's that were on EBAY and was thrilled to get this one when it popped up.

Here is the link to my updated set. OPC WWF Series II
    Here is the King Kong Bundy in the holder.

So how on earth if I would have requested this to be graded with no qualifier would this have gotten the same 7 grade?

• gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    DPECK,

Where did you get the PSA Bundy?

I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
    I know there is not much love for the action cards in this set but here are a few I recently subbed. Best I could find wading through a ton of raw examples.

Tito Santana and the Iron Sheik

Davey Boy Smith

PMKAY that is a tough question to answer.

Greg I bought it raw and sent it in for grading.
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Well done, DPECK.

I am snowed in for the day. I am glad I didn't see this thread earlier in the day.

I may have started drinking and would have ended up opening my vending case of these suckers looking for a centered Bundy.

I still vividly remember staying up late to watch Saturday Night's Main Event while spending the weekend at my grandparents' house, and seeing Bundy hospitalize Hogan with repeated splashes. That was traumatic crap for a 13 year old back then.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !