Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Would PSA even holder this, let alone give it a near perfect rating?

Mike Bossy 1978-79 OPC RC BGS 9.5

The card is obviously sheet cut...badly. Notice the right side at the top and bottom and the extreme flare of the corners. It also is missing the typical rough cut found on O-Pee-Chee cards. An absolutely ugly card and completely undeserving of a 9.5 grade.

Would PSA even holder this?
I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt PSA would holder it. Unless the scan is somehow distorting the card, I can't imagine it getting this high of a grade from any of the major grading companies!

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I am sorry but that card is horrible. I have no idea how anyone can use this company for grading. I totally realize that PSA and SGC misses or makes some errors however when cards are being graded (9.5) that have obvious trim jobs the grader needs to be fired.
    That may be a little harsh so have him answer phones for the company or clean the toilets.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    I have a Bossy rookie and it has this flair at the bottom corner (the left side though). I have seen a few from this set with a bad flair on the bottom left corners (PSA graded). Never seen top and bottom.
  • Options
    Hank36Hank36 Posts: 175 ✭✭
    I've also seen this on 1978 OPC hockey--the little cutting "flares". Here's one with the typical OPC rough cut and is something of a parallelogram:
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the flare in the scan is an illusion due to the card curling in the holder from being sheet cut
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Would PSA even holder this? >>

You answered your own question. As a side note, I agree that the corner flare probably isn't as bad as it looks in the scan.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."