Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about when 2B moved to present position

I have an old photo of a baseball squad and in it the 2B is standing right on top of second, not where he is now. I'm trying to figure out possible dates for this photo and it got me wondering when the 2B moved to where he usually stands now. Does anybody know?

I've checked wikipedia but I haven't called the HOF yet. There appears to be a 1931 rule change prohibiting someone in the line of the batter's sight from distracting him intentionally, but I can't come up with anything more concrete than that.

No, I haven't scanned the photo yet, as it's still in an old-timey frame.

Comments

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭
    That doesnt make sense. Where was the shortstop?
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That doesnt make sense. Where was the shortstop? >>

No, Where was the first baseman, What was the shortstop and I think who was on third. But then again, I could be wrong.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    There used to be 4 outfielders and 3 infielders.

One website says this...
    "In 1849, D.L. Adams (1814-1899) realized that three men could cover fly balls in the outfield. By moving one of these outfield players to the infield he could keep a lot of ground balls from getting through by “stopping them short,” thus giving the new position its name of shortstop."
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That doesnt make sense. Where was the shortstop? >>

No, Where was the first baseman, What was the shortstop and I think who was on third. But then again, I could be wrong. >>

Yes ... you are a little confused. Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know is on third.

A GREAT 6 minutes and 17 seconds. Watch it.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Ok: this is the cover of a book I have about old timey baseball. It is not the photo that I'm talking about, however, it shows what I'm trying to explain. The second baseman is standing on second, not 1/3 of the way to first like they do now.

When did most 2B move from standing like in this image to where they stand today? That's the question...

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok: this is the cover of a book I have about old timey baseball. It is not the photo that I'm talking about, however, it shows what I'm trying to explain. The second baseman is standing on second, not 1/3 of the way to first like they do now.

When did most 2B move from standing like in this image to where they stand today? That's the question...

image >>

maybe that's just a defensive shift....lol

why not just show the picture you have (it could be just a posed one).
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    As I said in my OP, my photo is in an old timey frame and will not scan unless I take it out, which I don't plan to at this point.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Judging by that pic, it looks like the 2nd Baseman is standing on the bag because the man on first is taking a lead, perhaps thats the way they played it when a guy took a big lead back then?
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    I think TheTalkingWalnut is right. I'm reading a book on Cardinal history and it talk about Charles Commisky being the first 1st baseman to actually play off the bag. This would have been in the 1880s and I wouldn't be surprised if that was about the time the 2nd baseman moved to it's current position.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options

Unless my eyes are going bad, which they could be, isn't all the players that are fielding standing on their base?
  • Options
    Thank you! I was starting to feel like a character in The Twilight Zone. I too noticed that all 3 basemen in that book cover appear to be standing on their bases. Runners on first and third. And the ump is standing at an angle to the catcher, not right behind him.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Appears the pitcher is throwing underhanded as well.

Good for you.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Appears the pitcher is throwing underhanded as well. >>

Isn't that you Steve?
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>Appears the pitcher is throwing underhanded as well. >>

Pitchers were prohibited from throwing overhand until the mid 1880s.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    No...who is on first and what is on second!

3rd base....I don't know!
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    If you can't scan it then try taking a picture of your picture and post that!
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball