Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Are people really this stupid?

Billy Ripken 1989 Fleer "hole punch" error

Why would someone pay $40+ for something they can create themselves?

Perhaps I should punch a hole in the shape of a butterfly on a card using my wife's scrap booking punch. It'll be a new variation!
I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.

Comments

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. People are. I'm amazed everyday.
  • Options
    Amazing, I guess what comedian George Carlin said is correct...

Take a look at the average American and realize that half are dumber than that...
    In the USA all men are created equal but some are more equal than others....
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    There are so many fakes involving this card, as well as actual variations, that you could almost specialize in collecting all the real ones and examples of all the fakes and documenting them.

The SCD Standard Catalog actually list some fakes as fakes. Two I know of are a "Topps Mini Sample" card, which involved photos from Topps Surf team books pasted to cardboard with "sample" stamped on the back. They were being sold as Topps pre samples for upcoming sets. In the 2010 edition an example was listed near the checklist for the 1960 set.

Another involved ingots created to look like the Topps silver Gallery of Champions issues from the 80s and early 90s. The listing for both say that as fakes and that therfore they have no collectible value. But since they were in the catalog, I got a couple of each for display with my regular sets. Others may have done the same even knowing what they were

But it's one thing to buy it as a known fake or reprint, and another to think you are getting some legitimate variation
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    bbuckner22bbuckner22 Posts: 1,028
    I think maybe later on tonight I'll list the ultra tough invisible Billy Ripken error card and see what it goes for.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think maybe later on tonight I'll list the ultra tough invisible Billy Ripken error card and see what it goes for. >>

I might be interested in this. Do you have a scan?
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob, you are hilarious!
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Bob,

Buckner asked me to scan it for him. See picture below!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    I think maybe later on tonight I'll list the ultra tough invisible Billy Ripken error card and see what it goes for.

Was it ever graded by GIA? image
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    SCD's Standard Catalog lists the 1983 fake 1969 MLBPA pins, although many of these are more in the nature of fantasy pieces, as they have players not included in the 1969 set.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    That guy got $45.00 for that!!! I'm going out to buy a hole-puncher ASAP!!! Who knows how many variations I might have!!! Ridiculous!!!
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The hole was very well centered.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    NO COMMENT ON THIS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)