Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1989 Upper Deck Promo Set (Baseball)

Hello,

I would like to make an offer to purchase (or trade) to the owner of the sole 1989 Upper Deck Promo #700-C (Hologram At Top) Wally Joyner PSA 10. I am currently working towards assembling a PSA 10 set. Does anybody have knowledge regarding the identity of this member/owner? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Adrian

Comments

• Options
    Wow, it appears that it will be quite a challenge to compile a PSA 10 set of these...although the set consists of only six cards, each have a very low population (in general, not to mention PSA 10). As I only have a few lower grade examples and a number of ungraded copies, I unfortunately can not help you with your PSA 10 collection.

This set has always been interesting to me...taking into consideration how both the players featured (Wally Joyner and DeWayne Buice) were so involved in helping Upper Deck start up, the fact that they are the first cards issued by one of the most dominant sportscard companies (currently) in existence, the cards' different versions and relative scarcity, and the popularity of the 1989 Upper Deck set.

As far as history, whereas there is not much known with regard to Joyner, the story on DeWayne Buice has some serious drama. In 1987 California Angels pitcher, randomly struck up a friendship with the owner of a local trading card store who had a plan to start a card company. In return for helping to land the necessary MLBPA licenses, Buice received a 12% stake in the budding company and thereby became one of Upper Deck's founding partners. When Buice retired from professional baseball at the end of the 1989 season (having made $212,500 over two and a half seasons with the Angels), he had collected $2.8 million from Upper Deck. Disagreement as to compensation resulted in Buice suing Upper Deck executives and being awarded $17 million. Furthermore, the 1994 players strike and low sales frustrated a planned installment payment and so virtually all the company's profits went to Bruice during this time. Apparently after cutting Bruice his last check in 1998, the company threw a party and employees were allowed to work just half-day. Hilarious.

It has always mystified me as to why the set has not had more fanfare. Perhaps with the upcoming 25th anniversary of Upper Deck in 2013, this set will again receive a new wave of interest? I don't know, but in my opinion, it only seems like a matter of time before the hobby rediscovers this set. I guess we'll see.

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting information. Thanks for posting!
  • Options
    kerryvillekerryville Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    Post the set when you get it finished. Can't wait to them graded toghether.
    Looking for:
    1992 Collectors Edge Football case?
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
  • Options
    CNote: Yes, that is the correct set, but no, neither of those cards are the one I need. Those are examples of the "B" version (Hologram Extend To Bottom). Of the "B" versions, the population report indicates there are 25 Buice and 7 Joyner ("A"s there are 3 and 8 respectively, and "C"s there are 1 and 1 respectively...and I happen to have graded the sole Buice PSA 10 ).

Just recently, I was able to acquire a few PSA 10s to bring my collection up to 5 out of the 6 cards. The only card I am missing is the card referenced in my first post...the #700-C Wally Joyner (Hologram At Top) PSA 10. Seeing as how this card has a population of 1, it might take me awhile to either 1.) track down the owner of this card and make a deal for it, or 2.) locate, purchase, and grade raw versions of the card (not sure if that would even be financially reasonable). But I will definitely post the set if and when that day comes.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>CNote: Yes, that is the correct set, but no, neither of those cards are the one I need. Those are examples of the "B" version (Hologram Extend To Bottom). Of the "B" versions, the population report indicates there are 25 Buice and 7 Joyner ("A"s there are 3 and 8 respectively, and "C"s there are 1 and 1 respectively...and I happen to have graded the sole Buice PSA 10 ).

Just recently, I was able to acquire a few PSA 10s to bring my collection up to 5 out of the 6 cards. The only card I am missing is the card referenced in my first post...the #700-C Wally Joyner (Hologram At Top) PSA 10. Seeing as how this card has a population of 1, it might take me awhile to either 1.) track down the owner of this card and make a deal for it, or 2.) locate, purchase, and grade raw versions of the card (not sure if that would even be financially reasonable). But I will definitely post the set if and when that day comes. >>

All I know is that the price just went up.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    Well...perhaps the "asking price" just went up. I'm curious what the fmv is on the card you are looking for. Like I posted earlier, I have a decent number of raw/ungraded cards from this set (I think I may have 1-3 Joyner-Cs amongst them). I'll take a look for you and think about sending them in on my next submission. I'll let you know tt/Adrian.
  • Options
    I greatly appreciate the offer of help Jabdul. I too have no idea what the FMV on a PSA 10 example would be...I'm not worried about the "asking price", I have an idea as to what I would be willing to pay/trade for it. And since a number of people I've recently talked with sound as if they will be submitting a few cards, I'm more interested in seeing the change in "asking price" as well as the FMV when there ends up being more than 1-2 graded at the PSA 10 level. I see it as just a matter of time. I'm trying the complete the set for myself, not for bragging rights...I'm in no hurry at all...there isn't even a registry set composite for the set yet. Thanks again.
  • Options

Just found my old post...apparently no change to population of subject card.

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Ok, now we are waiting on Jabdul

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al