Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Bogus Registry Sets

I am always surpised when I get a request, from PCGS or NGC, to remove a coin from my registry listings because someone else has claimed ownership of the coin – a clain which is invariably false because the coin is still in my possession.

Does anyone else receive such requests?

Today’s request, from NGC, was ambitious. A collector named brent137 laid claim to my 1914 Lincoln graded 67 (pop 3/0). The coin has been in my possession since September 2004 when I purchased it a Heritage Auction. A trip to my SDB revealed, fortunately, that the coin had not been stolen.

Looks like someone is trying to build a set based on auction archives! Who am I to judge? Sounds like an interesting and inexpensive hobby.

Comments

• Options
    Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭
    Did you notify anyone at NGC?

edited to correct the reference to pcgs.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • Options
    CalebCaleb Posts: 739
    Have you ever thought that someone just mis typed in a wrong number somewhere in the certification number? image

NGC doesn't wait for anyone to recheck the number before submitting the removal request. image
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has crossed my mind before if some people build their registry sets with unregistered coins image
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently found a lincoln cent in my Registry that was mis-entered (by me of course image ) with the wrong cert #.
    That can happen.

• Options
    Hey Gil, I just tried to click on your Registry Set Link in your profile and it says the set is invalid imageimage
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It has crossed my mind before if some people build their registry sets with unregistered coins image >>

I believe you are on to something there.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It has crossed my mind before if some people build their registry sets with unregistered coins image >>

I believe you are on to something there. >>

But why???
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Gil, I just tried to click on your Registry Set Link in your profile and it says the set is invalid imageimage >>

Yes LeeBone, I got a note from Cosetta when I emailed her re: the error message that popped up. She said that there were Registry issues today.
    It's rare that happens so I'm chillin'.image
  • Options
    sonoranmonsoonsonoranmonsoon Posts: 2,078 ✭✭
    Ussually, I am on the other end. More and more people are not removing their coins when they sell them. Recently, I have run into issues where I have had to send in pictures of the coins with some kind of recent dated material in the picture, because the other party still claims ownership. It can get a bit irritatating.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ussually, I am on the other end. More and more people are not removing their coins when they sell them. Recently, I have run into issues where I have had to send in pictures of the coins with some kind of recent dated material in the picture, because the other party still claims ownership. It can get a bit irritatating. >>

I agree that it can be. On the other side of the fence (I have been on both sides for this), when I am sending out a coin to someone else, I leave it in my registry until I know they have received it. That way, if it did get "lost", I would be at least notified if someone was trying to put it in their set. I have never had that happen in a negative way, but it is there just in case.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Have you ever thought that someone just mis typed in a wrong number somewhere in the certification number? image >>

I did that once and inadvertantly registered a $20 Gold Piece! I could not figure out why the IKE I just entered could not be added to one of my sets until I realized what I had done.

As for bogus sets, I suppose its possible until someone at PCGS figures out what happening. Then I'm sure the individual would get banned from the registry.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

Gerry,
    I really must be honest about this. I have to admit that once, long ago, before your set was even complete and certainly before it was ever posted, I entered the cert # of your 19-S into my set. I was curious to see what it would do to my set if I had still owned it.
    It was there for about 2 minutes and I quickly took it down. I am soooo embarassedimage

NOT!!

On the serious side, I see how it could be a pain in the rear for a collector. The cert #'s of many coins are known from auction images. Everytime somebody tries to put together a false set from the available cert #'s it creates a hassle for the rightful owner. Then again, it could just be an honest mistake.
    Good to hear from you, Gerry.
    PM sent

Jack

• Options
    RADRAD Posts: 287
    Hmmm...I have been tempted to try this in my efforts to recreate my Merc Dime collection which I sold, but foolishly did not "retire" in a fashion that preserved my ranking on the "All Time Finest " list.........in hopes that I might directly contact the new owners to see if they would allow me to 'temporarily' realist my coins long enough to recreate my set, then retire it properly. Please see my recent 'new topic' regarding this.....

PCGS has refused to act as an intermediary to maintain anonymity for the new owners.......I suspect I am out of luck, and I doubt any of the cases you note are due to the same problem, but I guess its possible!
    RAD