Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My All-time team..

I am disregarding the steriods and not using any players that played most of their career in the dead ball era, prior to 1920.

1st team

1b Lou Gehrig
2b Pete Rose, I know he played other positions, but he was an all-star at 2nd
3b Mike Schmidt
SS Cal ripken
C Ivan Rodriguez
OF Hank Aaron
OF Babe Ruth
OF Barry Bonds
P Nolan Ryan

2nd team

1b Mark McGwire
2b Joe Morgan
3b Alex Rodriguez
SS Derek Jeter
C Johnny Bench
OF Ted Williams
OF Willie Mays
OF Stan Musial
P Roger Clemens

Let's hear what you think are the best ever.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭
    I like your list. I would probably get Berra and Koufax up there somewhere.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I would have to fit Ty Cobb in there somewhere as well.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • DerekDDerekD Posts: 388 ✭✭
    I'd like Gibson, Koufax or Seaver up there. Also, I'd put Pujols on the 2nd team. .327 vs .263
  • JohnnyDJohnnyD Posts: 521 ✭✭
    I would put Brooks Robinson on the first team, Schmidt on the second team and make Arod your DH.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭
    I would take Ryan off. I just don't think he was that good. I would pick Koufax over Ryan all day long.

Also, I don't see Jeter as first team for all time but I can't think who I would replace him with so I guess I can't take him off. It seems like there had to have been someone at sometime who was better but maybe not when you factor in the offense!?
  • BOO I would put Brooks Robinson on the first team, Schmidt on the second team
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>I would take Ryan off. I just don't think he was that good. I would pick Koufax over Ryan all day long.

Also, I don't see Jeter as first team for all time but I can't think who I would replace him with so I guess I can't take him off. It seems like there had to have been someone at sometime who was better but maybe not when you factor in the offense!? >>

Agree with the Ryan, big fan...even saw the 7th no hitter live...it was fan day....so I got a free ticket, which made it extra cool to me, but honestly, it's hard for me to place him in the top 10 pitchers of all time.

In reflection to current times, perhaps you should (?) add another pitcher or two on the 1st team, and a reliever.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    Rogers Hornsby at 2B. I'd also find a place for Mantle if possible given that he was a switch hitter and was a legit 5 tool player before the term was coined. I agree about Ryan too. He's not a Top 15 pitcher in my view. Koufax would be my choice. Nice list though.
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    First Base Gehrig
    2nd Hornsby
    SS Pee Wee Reese
    3b Schmidt
    C Berra
    LF Williams
    CF Mays
    RF The Babe
    SPR Walter Johnson
    SPL Sandy Koufax
    RP Goose Gossage
    DH Jimmy Fox
    Playing Manager Ty Cobb
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)

• << <i>First Base Gehrig
    2nd Hornsby
    SS Pee Wee Reese
    3b Schmidt
    C Berra
    LF Williams
    CF Mays
    RF The Babe
    SPR Walter Johnson
    SPL Sandy Koufax
    RP Goose Gossage
    DH Jimmy Fox
    Playing Manager Ty Cobb >>

+1
  • cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would take Ryan off. I just don't think he was that good. I would pick Koufax over Ryan all day long.

Also, I don't see Jeter as first team for all time but I can't think who I would replace him with so I guess I can't take him off. It seems like there had to have been someone at sometime who was better but maybe not when you factor in the offense!? >>

I disagree about Ryan. 324 wins, 5,714 SO's, 7 no hitters - 2 after 40. All time SO leader for a season and career.

In 72-74 he had 62 wins and 48 losses while having an ERA of 2.28, 2.87 and 2.89 and striking out 329, 383 and 367. Oh yeah, he threw 72 complete games in those three years. If the Angels could have scored any runs those three years, he may have reached 30 wins in one year.

I probably would have picked Koufax over any pitcher if we were looking at one start in his prime. Between 63-66 he was un-hittable and was on some bad offensive teams. People do forget from 55-62, he was wild and had pretty middle of the road stats.

Just my 2 cents.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • 1B- Gehrig
    2B- Hornsby
    3B - Schmidt
    SS - Wagner
    LF - Williams
    CF - Mays
    RF - Ruth
    C - Bench

RHP - W. Johnson
    LHP - W. Spahn
    My favorite ball players throughout the years: Hank Aaron, Dale Murphy, Ellis Burks, Lance Berkman
  • cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    That's exactly the lineup I'd go with except my pitchers would be Maddux & Randy Johnson.

1. Wagner
    2. Williams
    3. Mays
    4. Ruth
    5. Hornsby
    6. Gehrig
    7. Schmitt
    8. Bench
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭
    1B - Lou Gehrig
    2B - Rogers Hornsby
    3B - Brooks Robinson
    SS - Cal Ripken Jr.
    LF - Ted Williams
    CF - Willie Mays
    RF - Babe Ruth
    C - Johnny Bench
    SP - Nolan Ryan
    RP - Mariano Rivera
  • 1st-Gehrig
    2nd-Hornsby
    3rd-Schmidt
    SS-Ripken
    C-Josh Gibson
    OF-Hank Aaron
    OF-Ted Williams
    OF-Stan Musial
    DH-Babe Ruth
    P-Sandy Koufax
  • Baltimore fans like Jeffcbay's lneup, while Philly fans don't see the comparison at all. I'll agree with Ripken but you can't have the whole side.
    Who can argue with 8 Home Run titles and one of the top fielding 3B of all time and had the versatility to play SS

1B - Lou Gehrig
    2B - Rogers Hornsby
    3B - Brooks Robinson <-- Insert Schmidt here
    SS - Cal Ripken Jr.
    LF - Ted Williams
    CF - Willie Mays
    RF - Babe Ruth
    C - Johnny Bench
    SP - Nolan Ryan
    RP - Mariano Rivera

<< <i>Baltimore fans like Jeffcbay's lneup, while Philly fans don't see the comparison at all. I'll agree with Ripken but you can't have the whole side.
    Who can argue with 8 Home Run titles and one of the top fielding 3B of all time and had the versatility to play SS >>

While I respect your opinion about Schmidt, I feel like Robinson's 16 consecutive Gold Gloves makes up for only having the same batting average as Schmidt.
  • Of course these are fun discussions and there are solid arguments both ways. Wins above replacement attempts to normalize across eras and DOES include defense.

Source

My favorite ball players throughout the years: Hank Aaron, Dale Murphy, Ellis Burks, Lance Berkman
  • IMO, I place George Brett on the 2nd team ahead of Brooks. Although the weakest fielder of the 3, he was the most complete hitter of the 3.
    Brett didn't have as much power as Schmidt, but he was a more complete hitter, becoming the first player in history to accumulate more than 3,000 hits, 300 home runs, 600 doubles, 100 triples, 1,500 RBI and 200 stolen bases.

Schmidt's 8 Home Run Titles, 2nd only to Mr Babe Ruth, may never be surpassed. Batting average close, power was not close. I've never seen a legitimate list, all century team placing Robinson over Schmidt as an overall player

<< <i>Of course these are fun discussions and there are solid arguments both ways. Wins above replacement attempts to normalize across eras and DOES include defense. >>

Oh no... not another "WAR" drum-beater... the most ridiculous stat ever pulled out of thin air. I'll pass.
  • pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭
    Where is Clemente!? Does his abilities in the field count too?

• << <i>Oh no... not another "WAR" drum-beater... the most ridiculous stat ever pulled out of thin air. I'll pass. >>

+1

• This is always fun, there certainly are some interesting ideas about what constitutes the greatest of all-time. For my team I will consider dead ball era players and will also consider the effect of steroids but not totally discount the players that have been linked.

First team
    1B Lou Gehrig
    2B Rogers Hornsby
    3B Mike Schmidt
    SS Honus Wagner
    C Johnny Bench
    RF Babe Ruth
    LF Ted Williams
    CF Ty Cobb
    RHP Walter Johnson
    LHP Lefty Grove
    RP Mariano Rivera

Second Team
    1B Albert Pujols
    2B Joe Morgan
    3B Eddie Mathews
    SS Alex Rodriguez
    C Ivan Rodriguez
    LF Barry Bonds
    CF Willie Mays
    RF Hank Aaron
    RHP Roger Clemens
    LHP Randy Johnson
    RP Trevor Hoffman
    "WITH GORILLA GONE, WILL THERE BE HOPE FOR MAN?" Daniel Quinn, Ishmael

• << <i>

<< <i>Of course these are fun discussions and there are solid arguments both ways. Wins above replacement attempts to normalize across eras and DOES include defense. >>

Oh no... not another "WAR" drum-beater... the most ridiculous stat ever pulled out of thin air. I'll pass. >>

Not a "drumbeater". I was hoping that I could share a different opinion.
  • Double post. Apologies.

• << <i>

<< <i>Oh no... not another "WAR" drum-beater... the most ridiculous stat ever pulled out of thin air. I'll pass. >>

+1 >>

Ah yes. Gold gloves much better.

<< <i>Not a "drumbeater". I was hoping that I could share a different opinion. >>

I apologize for my rude reaction to your opinion, I'm still seething from having the WAR debate on the Sports Talk Forum with someone else a while ago. Sorry for taking it out on you.

• << <i>

<< <i>Not a "drumbeater". I was hoping that I could share a different opinion. >>

I apologize for my rude reaction to your opinion, I'm still seething from having the WAR debate on the Sports Talk Forum with someone else a while ago. Sorry for taking it out on you. >>

I was not aware of that discussion. No worries. I find statistics interesting but not the word of God.