Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grading question

How badly do rubber band marks affect the card grade? In other words, a card that's beautifully centered, has nice corners and overall looks nice, but has the indentations of where the card was obviously stored in rubber bands.

Would it still be possible to get a PSA 5?
Looking for PSA HOF autos, PSA Vintage Red Sox and Pedro Martinez

Comments

• Options
    I don't think it would get EX consideration. I would think in the 3-4 range.

I'm looking at about 400 cars all RC's and Stars from 60-75. Trying to figue what I'm going to do with them in 3-5 range. Ryan, Schmidt, Munson, Seaver, Bench RC's.

Can you post a scan, does it show up?
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    mgugs46mgugs46 Posts: 217 ✭✭
    You can't see it in the scan. It doesn't form an actual crease .... Just indentations where the rubber bands were.
  • Options
    Maybe someone else can chime in on it. How many indentations are there? I assume it's in both sides of the card?

Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    Yes. Both sides of the card - almost makes a diamond shape on the card. Not very noticeable on the front. Much more so on the back.
  • Options
    I m still going to say 3-4. I don't think a 5, or EX card can have indentations like that. I'm not 100% so hope someone else will chime in.

It's worth grading either way I assume. What is it?

Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    If they are on both sides generally a 4 is given.

If they break the paper you could see a 3.

A 5 is possible, but don't count on one.

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>I m still going to say 3-4. I don't think a 5, or EX card can have indentations like that. I'm not 100% so hope someone else will chime in.

It's worth grading either way I assume. What is it? >>

Sorry, its a 1957 Topps Kaline. I just like the way the slabbed cards look, but was just curious as to whether or not theyd drop the grade to a 1 or something like that.
  • Options

<< <i>If they are on both sides generally a 4 is given.

If they break the paper you could see a 3.

A 5 is possible, but don't count on one. >>

Thanks for the info. It doesn't break the paper, and there are really no creases at all in the sense of a normal crease where you get the jagged line and crack ... its just indentations, and mainly on the back