Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, and the "Other Offer"....

Made a few best offers last night. One came back with the "I already have an offer at $XXX", which is $200 more than my offer. Besides my offer being the only offer on the listing, this "Other Offer" has been effect since the last two times he listed the card. That other offer must have a lot of patience.

Hey if you don't like my offer, just reject it, no need to make me bid against myself.
Mike

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Made a few best offers last night. One came back with the "I already have an offer at $XXX", which is $200 more than my offer. Besides my offer being the only offer on the listing, this "Other Offer" has been effect since the last two times he listed the card. That other offer must have a lot of patience.

Hey if you don't like my offer, just reject it, no need to make me bid against myself. >>

I can't speak for this seller and you know more than I since you have been following his auctions. However, since ebay allows a buyer to make 3 best offers, often the first offer is a low-ball I hope you're desperate offer. When the seller responds with a number, at least the buyer has an idea what it will take to buy it. Buyer can always make a second offer or pass if the price is too high for him. Sounds like you took "best offer" literally and made your best offer. At $200 dollars lower the seller might have thought you were fishing. The solution may be to let ebay change the rules and allow you only 1 offer. In that case the seller will accept or decline. Only problem is it doesn't allow the seller to counter-offer.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • Options
    MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    I guess that style of white-lie negotiating is just business. Trying to get you to come up to his want price. The best scenario in that situation is when you walk away, and then the seller come racing after you saying the better offer fell thru or my personal favorite..."Even though your offer is less, I will sell it to you because I'd rather that YOU have the card." Then I usually come up with a bill I forgot to pay and for that reason I need to lower my offer just to stick it to 'em. lol. Buyer can play games too. Next time you buy a car, I suggest this: Car A is the car you want. But make the salesman spend hours with you on Car B. Act like car B is the one you really really want!!! Then after he spends a couple hours with you and he thinks he has a sale, haggle and surprisingly the salesman wont budge. if he does, haggle to past where he cant budge anymore. Then when a deal cant be made, start to walk out, say aw shucks, frown at Car A, sigh, say "tch", shake your head no, and say to the salesman, well I dont even want it, but what's the best you can do on this one (now giving a disgusted wave at car A). Sometimes the salesman is po'd that he lost the sale on the car you "wanted" he will give you an awesome deal on the one you "didn't want". Could work in your favor if you have a desperate seller at a card show too :-)
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    You are probably right about calling BS, but if he won't sell it to you for $200 less than he wants in the end it doesn't really matter. Also, I have been a seller who has been offered standing offers on items which I initially turned down (it doesn't necessarily need to be reflected in the Ebay offer system) and have also been a buyer who has sent messages to sellers (typically that have a BIN I don't particularly like or me just letting them know what I would pay for a particular item should they come across one).
  • Options
    DCanfieldDCanfield Posts: 548

<< <i>I guess that style of white-lie negotiating is just business. Trying to get you to come up to his want price. The best scenario in that situation is when you walk away, and then the seller come racing after you saying the better offer fell thru or my personal favorite..."Even though your offer is less, I will sell it to you because I'd rather that YOU have the card." Then I usually come up with a bill I forgot to pay and for that reason I need to lower my offer just to stick it to 'em. lol. Buyer can play games too. Next time you buy a car, I suggest this: Car A is the car you want. But make the salesman spend hours with you on Car B. Act like car B is the one you really really want!!! Then after he spends a couple hours with you and he thinks he has a sale, haggle and surprisingly the salesman wont budge. if he does, haggle to past where he cant budge anymore. Then when a deal cant be made, start to walk out, say aw shucks, frown at Car A, sigh, say "tch", shake your head no, and say to the salesman, well I dont even want it, but what's the best you can do on this one (now giving a disgusted wave at car A). Sometimes the salesman is po'd that he lost the sale on the car you "wanted" he will give you an awesome deal on the one you "didn't want". Could work in your favor if you have a desperate seller at a card show too :-) >>

Business requires negotiation and you have to expect it whether it's buying a service or buying a commodity like a card. A "Make an Offer" is a direct invitation to negotiate. You don't like my price, tell me yours. Obviously the seller was trying to pressure you for his number by saying someone else was in the wings. When it's your money you have the final say. I think the seller should have said "Thanks for your offer. I really feel I need $200 more to sell." To me, that's a much better answer than a simple no. On a big dollar item that $200 would have been minor and you may well have been willing to pay it to get the piece you wanted.

You bristled at the way this guy negotiates (sounds like he's a jerk and a liar), you thought the $200 was too much and so you walked. Looks to me that you probably made the right decision by passing on this deal and waiting for the next. You just can't guarantee courtesy.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost