Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

1975 Rack Pack Wanted

Am paying top dollar for a few select 1975 unopened Rack Packs. Must be tip top shape. The star card must look awesome. Following are the stars I need showing. Again, I pay way above market value. If card on Front, even better. Prices are negotiable. . .depending on how many of these you may have, condition, etc.

Mike Schmidt ($500 if meets my metrics - ie: on front, relatively centered, no flaws on card, you purchased from reliable source, good coloration)
Fergie Jenkins ($350)
Bob Gibson 74 HL ($400)
Tommy John ($350)
Lou Piniella ($350)
Jim Palmer ($350)
Jose Cruz ($350)
Joe Torre ($350)
Harmon Killebrew ($400)

Also intereseted in Tug McGraw, Ken Griffey, Billy Williams, and Gaylord Perry. But these are not a priority. Will still pay fair amount.

Comments

• Options
    KurtisJosephKurtisJoseph Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    bump
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice but unusual rack there, as in all the 75 racks I've seen, Schmidt is typically located in section next to the header card and Seaver is normally in the middle..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice but unusual rack there, as in all the 75 racks I've seen, Schmidt is typically located in section next to the header card and Seaver is normally in the middle.. >>

Come on Tim, they just moved over one section together. What is the harm in that???
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    Love learning about this stuff. So Grote and Mike would you say this rack is bogus?

How does one go about creating a bogus rack? Insert silicone joke here. Seems difficult conceptually to me.

Thanks.

Scott
  • Options
    I'm leary as well of this rack. Certainly not saying it isn't impossible, but there was a similar rack on a mile high auction that had Brett/yount in the wrong slots a few months ago. I couldn't get any answers out of them either. . like the astericks on the back. . .etc.

I focus purely on unopened mid 1970's product, and it is extremely rare to see cards out of their customary sequence (slots on the rack).

The 1975 mini racks are a whole new ballgame. Where you find stars on those is different than the regular size. And I don't have much more to add to that since I own very few mini racks.

One question for anyone willing to address: What is your current stance on GAI grading of racks? I have been sending a few away and they have these kick ass new plastic holders that are about the same size as the rack. They encase them. Very handy and cool to showcase on a shelf. I feel they have been fair on their grades. . .meaning the racks I sent that were bought by me in 1975 and stored meticulously have received 9's and 9.5's. A couple racks I bought that had some flaws were 8's. It sounds like many people on these boards do not trust them. . .

To my knowledge, I have only purchased one mid 1975 rack that was tampered. They did a fine job. Cannot figure out how they did it. The giveaway was the condition of the cards BEHIND the stars on front. They clearly just threw in some extra cards behind the stars on the top for filler. the cards sandwiched in the middle were in EX condition, which the star cards were pristine. HIlarious! I have kept it because it is a friendly reminder of my stupidity at the time.

• Options

<< <i>I'm leary as well of this rack. Certainly not saying it isn't impossible, but there was a similar rack on a mile high auction that had Brett/yount in the wrong slots a few months ago. I couldn't get any answers out of them either. . like the astericks on the back. . .etc.

I focus purely on unopened mid 1970's product, and it is extremely rare to see cards out of their customary sequence (slots on the rack).

The 1975 mini racks are a whole new ballgame. Where you find stars on those is different than the regular size. And I don't have much more to add to that since I own very few mini racks.

One question for anyone willing to address: What is your current stance on GAI grading of racks? I have been sending a few away and they have these kick ass new plastic holders that are about the same size as the rack. They encase them. Very handy and cool to showcase on a shelf. I feel they have been fair on their grades. . .meaning the racks I sent that were bought by me in 1975 and stored meticulously have received 9's and 9.5's. A couple racks I bought that had some flaws were 8's. It sounds like many people on these boards do not trust them. . .

To my knowledge, I have only purchased one mid 1975 rack that was tampered. They did a fine job. Cannot figure out how they did it. The giveaway was the condition of the cards BEHIND the stars on front. They clearly just threw in some extra cards behind the stars on the top for filler. the cards sandwiched in the middle were in EX condition, which the star cards were pristine. HIlarious! I have kept it because it is a friendly reminder of my stupidity at the time. >>

Kurt,

I don't have any recently graded GAI racks, but the racks I do have in the first genertaion holders are definitely legit, as I acquired them from various but very reputable sources. All of the mini racks I've had or still have do follow the same sequencing as regular 75 racks and I know from opening a few myself that the sequencing of cards is also exactly the same, so I'd be wary about a 75 mini rack with star cards in the wrong sections, too. I have found as an unopened collector that by opening a few racks from time to time that it is immensely helpful to a) understand what to look for and b) to see if a rack from a particular source is legit or not.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Grote,

Good to know on the '75 Minis. I only have five of these. Off of memory, I believe most are consistent with regular size sequencing, but for sure one has a Dave Conception in the wrong spot. I can't imagine anyone messing with his card to profit! Maybe I got lucky??

Thanks for the info.
  • Options

<< <i>Grote,

Good to know on the '75 Minis. I only have five of these. Off of memory, I believe most are consistent with regular size sequencing, but for sure one has a Dave Conception in the wrong spot. I can't imagine anyone messing with his card to profit! Maybe I got lucky??

Thanks for the info. >>

No problem, Kurt. It is possible to find cards in the wrong section but in those cases all of the cards will at least have a consistent * or ** designation on back. For instance, i recently opened a 75 rack that had all * cards in the far section instead of ** cards and I pulled a Yount RC in the correct section so I knew it was legit. If you see racks though with major stars in the wrong section, red flags should be raised. Personally, I'm not a big fan of racks with multiple key cards on top as there are some clever fakes circulating out there and it's best (IMO) to simply avoid them.

• Options

<< <i>Love learning about this stuff. So Grote and Mike would you say this rack is bogus?

How does one go about creating a bogus rack? Insert silicone joke here. Seems difficult conceptually to me. >>

Hey Scott, what they usually do is cut the rack open at either the top or bottom seam and slip the star card in. Then they carefully reseal it using a heating tool. That is why a majority of the fake rack packs have a star in the section furthest from the header card as it is the easiest to open and reseal. But the really good ones can do multiple sections with multiple stars. That is why it is best to use caution when thinking of bidding on mutliple star pack racks as Tim stated.

KurtisJoesph, I agree with what Tim said and can only add that I've also seen 75 racks with the single star in the far section as well as the other two sections and felt the rack itself was legit. The key is to look at the back and see if it is consistent with the top card. That an auction house would not provide scans and/or pictures of the back of the rack would definitely preclude me from bidding on it. I've also seen 75 rack packs with single star cards in the middle section when they are usually in the section next to the header and vice versa and some were non star racks so I do believe that it is possible that loading errors occurred back in the day especially when seeing how well they cut the cards, LOL.

I've been wanting to ask you, can I call you Kujo for short. image

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    To clarify and to add what to what Mike said, single star cards with one* are typically located in the header and middle sections and double star cards with two* * are in the far left section furthest from the header card.

• Options
    lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    Is the "header card" the section closest to the top of the rack (the part where the topps logo and price would appear)? Or am I completely backwards?

Thanks.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Tim,

I too am very skeptical of both the full-size and mini 1975 racks in the current MH auction. Cards are in the wrong cells compared to where they usually
    are and to me that means better than 90% chance it is not authentic.

You cant just assume that because its from a major auction house that the item is authentic. Sometimes I wonder why the auction houses don't invest
    a little more effort in verifiying these items before placing them up for bids. I certainly wouldn't want to associate my good name with a piece that
    ultimately turns out to be no good.

This same auction house has the Brett/Yount rack last fall. As soon as I became aware of it I put in a call to them and spoke with them about it. It was only
    a few days before the auction was ending and the bidding had been strong to that point. I suggested they contact Steve Hart as well. Not sure if they called
    him or not. However, they didn't pull the item.

Makes me seriously question what they would have done if it had been 1970-1972 grocery cellos....

Dave
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To clarify and to add what to what Mike said, single star cards with one* are typically located in the header and middle sections and double star cards with two* * are in the far left section furthest from the header card. >>

I too can say that I have never seen a "good" 1975 rack where there were single asterisk (*) cards in the cell furthest from the header card.

Dave
  • Options
    kuju works for me. . . the best nickname in hockey!

By the way, does anyone have any of the 1975 racks I'm after at the beginning of this thread!!!!!!

I'm trying to knock these out so I can move onto my next collecting endeavor.

Thanks all.
  • Options

<< <i>Is the "header card" the section closest to the top of the rack (the part where the topps logo and price would appear)? Or am I completely backwards?

Thanks. >>

You are not completely backwards, the header card refers to the section where the Topps logo and price would appear. It makes it easier to describe which sections are being referred to when a scan is not being shown.

Collecting:
  • Options
    Speaking of header cards, there is an interesting anomaly with 1975 Topps baseball rack packs in that the header card which is usually on the left side of the rack typically appears on the right side of 1975 rack packs..

• Options
    I have a couple racks where the header card is in the correct location, but upside down.
  • Options
    I just noticed that 1975 rack on the Mile High Auction has Darrell Porter on the front next to the header, and then again on the back in the section farthest from the header. Not possible. fake.