Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

Updated May 2: New Purchases from Thomas Bush Numismatics; Post-Central States Numismatic Show Parts

I have a small assortment of coins listed below. Shipping and insurance are paid for by me and all items may be returned within a one week (7-day) period for complete refund. Payment accepted by personal, bank or business check or money order, USPS money order and PayPal options. I prefer to avoid the use of PayPal with the fees that are associated with this option, but if it is required please let me know. Any questions may be asked within the thread or sent to me via PM or to my email address of tbush@tbnumismatics.com. Thank you for your time.

Additionally, at this time I am also offering an advanced notice email option whereby you may receive descriptions and prices of all new purchases after each major show or, in the event that a larger purchase is made between shows, as soon as I have a nice group of coins. Simply send me a PM with your email address or send an email requesting to be placed on the advanced notice list. I will not hammer you with emails or a sales pitch; only the occasional update to my site.

1) 1859 Three-Cent Silver Type III PCGS MS64/CAC

This is a lovely little coin with glistening green and navy highlights over an auburn background. The three-cent silvers come in three “flavors” with the Type I and Type III markedly easier to find than the notoriously difficult Type II coins. However, within each type it seems that the proof pieces tone more nicely and more dramatically than the mint state pieces. Here is a nice exception to that general rule. $975.00

2) 1913-D Buffalo Nickel Type I PCGS MS65

This difficult to find, Denver Type I Buffalo nickel has a powdery steel blue base color on both sides with the obverse having some light rose primarily on the lower half of the coin around the perimeter and the reverse having an orange-rose splashed across most of the outer areas. This coin has a subtle look and is really quite pretty. $365.00

3) 1895 Barber Dime PCGS MS65/CAC

It’s difficult to get very excited about a Barber dime, but this coin is definitely quite cool and a coin worthy of great excitement. Those unfamiliar with the Barber dime series might think that the 1895 is a generic issue, but the truth is that this is the most difficult Philadelphia coin in the entire series and it is quite a bit more difficult to find in gem grades and with good eye appeal than the great majority of coins in the set from any mint. The present piece has a golden-green glow that is fairly even from obverse to reverse and that makes the coin appear to be lit from within. The reverse also shows some die polish in the center of the coin and both sides are struck up far better than typical. This is a pretty special Barber dime that would be perfect for type. $2,650.00

4) 1825/4/3 Capped Bust Quarter PCGS AU53/CAC

Here we have the rare Capped Bust quarter that features unmitigated, unflinching and uncompromising originality. However, unlike the famous 7 Up commercials of the 1970s, which starred Geoffrey Holder and the Uncola, this coin is very dark in color rather than light. The strike is excellent overall, the patina quite thick and slightly multicolored and the luster is visible as frost beneath the toning. This is a great coin. $3,895.00

5) 1874 Seated Liberty Quarter Dollar with Arrows PCGS MS62/CAC Briggs Encyclopedia Plate Coin

The MS62 grade is generally unattractive to me or is a grade that in my opinion houses too often a very choice AU58. Thankfully, that is not always the case and the proof of that statement resides in this coin. The with Arrows type is much more difficult to find than some other Seated Liberty quarter types and to find one with thick, powdery patina sitting atop mint luster and having a small crescent of blue toning along the reverse rim is an exceptionally difficult task. This coin is also the plate coin from the Briggs Encyclopedia. Two images are provided; one to show the thick patina and the other to illustrate the original mint frost. $1,450.00

6) 1888 Seated Liberty Quarter Dollar NCG PF65/CAC

A veritable explosion of color and flavor! Okay, I don’t know about the flavor part, but the color flies off this coin in every direction and the piece need-not be held at an ever so precise angle to see it, either. Late date proof Seated coinage is a different animal when compared to early date pieces given that the late date coins look like what we might expect a proof to be with their solid strikes, good mirrors and overall exceptional eye appeal. Mother Nature, though, sometimes likes to offer a special treat to type collectors and in this case that treat is in the form of a wonderfully toned quarter. The obverse center is a light violet that yields to medium-depth navy while the reverse has a more golden center and slighter deeper navy tone. Anyway one looks at this piece, this is a superb coin. $2,975.00

7) 1897-O Barber Quarter PCGS VF30/CAC

One of the best dates within the Barber quarter series outside of the prohibitively expensive “Big Three”, and one date that is always in demand. Mid-grade pieces are tough to find so it was a pleasure to come across this coin with its somewhat deeper obverse paired with a lighter patina on the reverse. Whereas the reverse is a lighter color grey, it also has some small areas of attractive golden-orange. Overall, this is a very nice coin for the grade and the issue. $455.00

8) 1946-S Washington Quarter PCGS MS66/CAC ON HOLD

I don’t normally list a coin more than once in these email notices, but this coin elicited two responses from collectors who asked me if I thought the toning on the coin was real given it is so outstanding for a year where there were no mint sets issued. My short answer is that I completely believe the toning is original. However, I also sent the coin to CAC so that clients could see that not only do PCGS and I agree on the coin, but that CAC does, too. Therefore, here is a coin listed previously that now also features the CAC sticker without undergoing any price increases. ON HOLD

9) 1809 Capped Bust Half Dollar NGC AU55 III Edge

This is an example of the experimental edge III type that is highly sought after. It is the O.109 die marriage and was struck before the reverse completely cracked. The coin is quite scarce and has lots of life. The price seems a bit low for something with as strong a following and that is this scarce. $1,950.00

10) 1837 Reeded Edge Half Dollar PCGS AU55

This coin is slightly darker than my images and has medium-depth navy and auburn throughout its surfaces. The 1837 issue is substantially more difficult to find than the 1838 RE half, in my experience, yet when encountered sells for around the same amount. This is a nice coin in a PCGS holder of the 2002-2004 era. $650.00

11) 1839 Reeded Edge Half Dollar PCGS EF45 ON HOLD

The short-lived RE half dollar series has two commonly accepted type coins within its population and these are the 1836-1837 and 1838-1839 issues. The main difference between the two types is that the reverse has HALF DOL. written for the 1838-1839 coins. This latter subtype is dominated by 1838 examples and, indeed, the 1839 RE half dollar is curiously much more difficult to find in anything that resembles original skin. The present coin is a wonderful brown color in a terrific collector-friendly grade. Thankfully, there are few, if any, issues with the surfaces that affect the medium brown color and great remaining details. This coin is in the new prong style holder. ON HOLD

12) 1860-O Seated Liberty Half Dollar PCGS AU50

WOW! This coin is pretty much the epitome of original gunk, crust and debris. It also happens to be a pre-Civil War product of the New Orleans mint and thus has tremendous collector appeal on many levels. There is mint frost underneath the dirt and the surfaces are devoid of nasty hits, scratches or dings. Truly, this is just about the pinnacle of filth…and it is quite lovely. $395.00

13) 1846-O Seated Liberty Dollar PCGS EF45/CAC

Seated Liberty dollars, especially the early, branch mint issues, are plagued with problems that negatively affect their eye appeal. If a coin wasn’t dipped, then it was scratched; if not scratched, then it acquired rim dings; if no rim dings then there are milling marks galore. You get the picture-these coins worked hard and were not especially treated well. Once in a great while a mid-grade piece with above average eye appeal and exceptional surface integrity will appear and I attempt to grab those coins. This coin has great eye appeal, is somewhat dark and has delightful highlights of coppery orange-red around much of the device work. It also happens to be the first issue from the New Orleans mint and has extra coolness from such. $1,375.00

14) 1887 Morgan Dollar NGC MS64/CAC ON HOLD

Primarily white with a thin ring of pretty toning on both sides. Not many Morgan dollars make it to this site when that is the first thing written about them. Luckily for this coin though, the piece is in an ancient, heat-stamp logo NGC fatty holder of the vintage used for a few months in 1988. The coin itself is wonderfully high end for the grade and the holder is pristine. The condition of the holder is somewhat important in that it infers that this coin has not passed through the auction circuit or made the rounds of dealer inventory in the past and has most likely spent significant time in the hands of one or more collectors. These holders are beginning to be avidly collected. ON HOLD

15) 1897 Morgan Dollar PCGS MS65+/CAC

A white Morgan dollar on this site is not a common occurrence, but the coin in question has silky surfaces, good life and is only a tiny bit away from being worth hundreds more. That is a pretty good combination to have on any coin and when the coin is the popular Morgan dollar then it is a powerful incentive to go out and acquire the piece. $495.00
Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Comments