Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

old baseball jersey - need help identifying - Negro League?

Hi,
I have an old baseball jersey that I would love to identify what team it came from and what era. Could this be a jersey from the old Negro Leagues or is it a college jersey? The reason I ask is below.
Several years ago I worked on a house demolition and found this as we were clearing out trash and decided it looked kinda cool.
The house belonged to an elderly black couple and they passed away years ago and the house was abandoned and then demolished. According to documents I found as we threw stuff out, they (or their parents) were originally from Alabama. I found birthdates on paper items from 1890's and a lot of documents/antiques from the 1900's-1940's. The house was located in southern West Virginia. Wish I could tell you some of the stuff I found.
Any help on this jersey would be appreciated. There is a small college in Bluefield, West Virginia but I don't know anything about a baseball team. This house was located 45-60 minutes from Bluefield College.

Collector of Nascar ticket stubs from 1949-present. 1,464 different tickets and growing! Visit www.nascarticketstubs.com to see which ones I need.

Comments

• Options
    Forgot to mention that this was found packed in an old cedar chest with some valuables so I assume it was either cherished or otherwise very important to whoever stored it.
    Other than that I can't find anything with a logo resembling it.
    Collector of Nascar ticket stubs from 1949-present. 1,464 different tickets and growing! Visit www.nascarticketstubs.com to see which ones I need.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Maybe college? Try net54.

Good luck.

Good for you.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    If you kept the gentleman's name from the papers you found then you might could contact the college to see if anyone with that name went to school and or played ball at Bluefield college.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭
    I would reach out to Jerry Cohen, the owner of Ebbets Field Flannels. Look on their site for contact info.

Also the negro league baseball museum.

• Options
    That's a great piece to own, good luck finding out more info on it. Please report back and let us know what you find out.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options

<< <i>If you kept the gentleman's name from the papers you found then you might could contact the college to see if anyone with that name went to school and or played ball at Bluefield college. >>

I've thought about this several times. However, I'm still going to try to contact someone from the college and send them a pic of this jersey and see if it was ever a design that the college used.

• Options

<< <i>I would reach out to Jerry Cohen, the owner of Ebbets Field Flannels. Look on their site for contact info.

Also the negro league baseball museum. >>

Thanks for the advice. I just sent him an email and will keep everyone posted.

By the way, I rarely post here but I come to this forum literally every single day and read a lot. I haven't bought a single baseball card since I was a kid but thoroughly enjoy seeing pictures and reading all of the stories. I don't even own the first unopened pack or PSA graded card (I do have a PSA graded ticket), but it's still a blast keeping up with the hobby.

My cardboard is a little different...
  • Options
    Wow, quick response from Jerry at Ebbets Field Flannels. He said he has never seen a Negro League jersey like this so it's doubtful that it's from the Negro Leagues. He said it's likely an Amateur, Club, or School Jersey.

Will dig deeper and see what I can find. It still looks cool. It's actually rather dirty even though the pics make it look kind of clean.