Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Need help on a possible 1952 Topps Frank House "Yellow" Logo card

Was on eBay today and noticed a listing with a rare "Yellow" Tigers Logo on the 1952 Topps Frank House card:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290703339823?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

After seeing the listing, I examined my card and noticed that it is also a Yellow Tigers logo. It is obviously does not have the normal orange color on the normal Tiger logo from the 52 Set. There are a few red ink dots in the logo...(could be marked but it doesnt look like it). I posted on other forums and want to get as many opinions as I can. Haven't decided to sell it or keep it. If I do decide to sell it, would like to make sure that I have something that is legit. Let me know if you have any information on this card.

imageimage
Successful transactions with:
bighurt2000
gaspipe26
CDsNuts
grote15
fattymacs
bballjunkie
rajah424
DanBessette

Comments

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Lee17---see my response to you on Net54. The variant was written up by Bob Lemke in an SCD article ( June 3, 2010) and since then even poor specimens have been selling at a significant premium on ebay. However even though I think Bob seemed to lean toward viewing it a variation rather than a print defect based on other coloring on both versions of the card ,it is not in the SCD Catalog and with Bob's retirement and uncertainty over if there will be further Catalogs, the question is whether there will be enough hobby recognition for the grading companies to label it as a variation . Maybe if you can run down a copy of the article submit it with a copy of the article you can get them to do something. Since I have one I would be most appreciative :-) , because even though it sells at a premium now due to the article, to fully unleash master set collectors on it, it needs still more recognition .

Even if they grade it as a regular House, if it gets a high grade, based on what lesser specimens have sold for, I think it will get you a good return because it does have at least some hobby recognition as a result of the article,
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Having collected '52 Topps for many years I can say I have never heard of that variation. That's the cool thing about this set, you can learn something new about a set 60 years old. The one thing I did notice about your card that may prove to be more profitable for is that your card looks like a rare "gray back" variation from that set. Cards 131-180 were issued mainly with white backs with the red lettering but some cards from that series were produced in Canada with gray backs. If you notice in the card on ebay, the seller says it's "standard cream colored back". If I were you I'd send that in to PSA tomorrow and get it graded. Looks like a 5 or 5.5 maybe a 6. Nice card and congrats. Doug
  • Options
    I agree with Doug that if your card is a gray back, which are much more scarce than the cream backs, it has a significant value given it's apparent condition. There are several collectors trying to put together the very difficult "Canadian" gray back set, and such gray backs, even common ones, go for a significant premium on ebay. I have a gray back House with an orange lion and a yellow lion with a cream back. If your yellow is a grey back, it may make the card even more desirable to master collectors. Good luck

Al
  • Options
    Thanks again for the information Doug and Al. I just started collecting the 52 Topps and have about 30 cards and have seen all kinds of backs on them. How do you distinguish a Gray back from the others?

bighurt2000
    gaspipe26
    CDsNuts
    grote15
    fattymacs
    bballjunkie
    rajah424
    DanBessette
  • Options
    Wow. That is a nice shape card - good luck on your sale.
  • Options
    The two backs look very different, white/ cream versus gray. Also, the fronts of the grays tend to be darker and less clear than the regular issued cards. The first 50 cards in the 54 set can also be found with white or gray backs, and again the grays, possibly issued in Canada separately, are much more scarce

See toppsarchives.blogspot.com and on the right look for the section on Topps 52 gray backs for examples

Al
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Hi Guys, just chiming in. that is definately not a gray back. Even with differences in scanners it is somewhat easy to tell it is the lighter cream back. Although this variation hasnt been added to the "big book", I think collectors are starting to view it as a true variation. Also, I have not ever seen on with a gray back, I would wager a guess that the pale yellow tongue would not be found with the gray back as it was a brief printing error on the front, and being less than 10 of each gray back variety has been graded, I would think these were out of a different warehouse, leftover/new stock, etc. I have gone through maybe 225 Frank Houses and found one, I am nost sure if that qualifies as rare, but it is certainly not common. A PSA 5 just sold for 158$ if that helps, yours looks very nice, it could be trimmed on the hand hand side, however I would say sell now as the market is heating up on it. My raw one I sold off ebay for $125 and I would say it was about PSa 3 OC or even MC.
  • Options
    What RM says makes sense. It would be odd for the variation to appear on both white and gray backs since they apparently had separate printing origins...and we know the variation appears on white back cards.

Actually, a gray back House in good condition would likely bring more than the yellow House since the gray backs are a more widely recognized variation and, if recent ebay auctions for them are any indication, there are several master collectors trying to put that subset together and paying large premiums to do so

Al
  • Options
    Thank you for your information RM. I just checked the card with my other 52s and if it is trimmed, someone did a very good job. The card matches perfectly with the rest of them.
    bighurt2000
    gaspipe26
    CDsNuts
    grote15
    fattymacs
    bballjunkie
    rajah424
    DanBessette
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    HI Lee, not trying to be a jerk and it is impossible to tell from a scan, but it looks like not oo much border there on the right hand side. On a second look, looks about right compared to my off center abomination, yours just seems to taper down. A gray back House would most likely go for 300 plus in any shape. Here was mine, off ebay sale of $125 for you records.

• Options
    No worries RM. I'm glad you pointed that out for me to check. I just started collecting again after a few years off and started the 52 set. I'm not going to pretend to know everything about the set, that is why I started the thread to get input from you guys that have been collecting it for years. I really appreciate everyone taking time out of their day to inform me. 90% sure I will submit it to PSA and then decide what I am going to do with it. It would be nice to sell it but on the other hand it would be cool to have it in a PSA holder.
    bighurt2000
    gaspipe26
    CDsNuts
    grote15
    fattymacs
    bballjunkie
    rajah424
    DanBessette