Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I don't get irked very easily, but this irks me

dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
When I see some nice coins on ebay with a 'Buy it Now' and 'Make an Offer' option and as soon as I add them to my watchlist, all of a sudden the 'Make an Offer' option goes away. I've had this happen a few times from a few different sellers but one in particular seems to do it everytime I add their coins to my watchlist. Sorry, perhaps I'm being too sensitive but this just irks me.
image...There's always time for coin collecting. image

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭

<< <i>perhaps I'm being too sensitive >>

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's weird ... "watching" a coin removes the ability to make an offer. eBay glitch?
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    Another one ive noticed is when putting an item on watch it becomes the last one remaining.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's weird ... "watching" a coin removes the ability to make an offer. eBay glitch? >>

No, it doesn't work that way. I am watching auctions right now that retain the BO.

The seller is just screwing with watchers.
    Lance.
  • Options
    When the seller see's the "Watcher Count" rise, they figure it will see for near the price they want. So... they remove the make an offer option so they don't let it go too cheap.
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭

<< <i>When the seller see's the "Watcher Count" rise, they figure it will see for near the price they want. So... they remove the make an offer option so they don't let it go too cheap. >>

Why, you never need to accept any offer?
  • Options

<< <i>When the seller see's the "Watcher Count" rise, they figure it will see for near the price they want. So... they remove the make an offer option so they don't let it go too cheap. >>

While im sure theres truth to that i also think its very foolish.I put pages of items on watch just from curiosity,no intention of buying,sometimes just to see what it sells for...if it sells etc
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is foolish. If this guy I always doing this then I'd WATCH each of this BIN even though I wasn't interested. That'll teach 'em! image

jom
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes, I just put an absurdly low bid in on a BIN, just so the seller can't make use of tht option.................. IF I'm in a particularly sour mood! image
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you feeling stressed because you sold your sweet $3 gold piece? image
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you feeling stressed because you sold your sweet $3 gold piece? image >>

Perhapsimage Did you by chance happen to snag it??? If so, it's a beauty. If not, it's still a beauty. image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sometimes, I just put an absurdly low bid in on a BIN, just so the seller can't make use of tht option.................. IF I'm in a particularly sour mood! image >>

This comment does not compute....You do not bid on BIN's you bye or fly.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I have put coins in my watch list to see the price go up, too.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can an auction with a BIN also have a Make Offer?

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Sometimes, I just put an absurdly low bid in on a BIN, just so the seller can't make use of tht option.................. IF I'm in a particularly sour mood! image >>

This comment does not compute....You do not bid on BIN's you bye or fly.
    image >>

Some auctions have a BIN but when the 1st bid goes in the BIN option is gone.
  • Options

<< <i>When I see some nice coins on ebay with a 'Buy it Now' and 'Make an Offer' option and as soon as I add them to my watchlist, all of a sudden the 'Make an Offer' option goes away. >>

It appears the solution to this problem would be to make an offer on the coin, not put it on your watchlist.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can an auction with a BIN also have a Make Offer? >>

Yes they can!
  • Options
    roob47roob47 Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can an auction with a BIN also have a Make Offer? >>

Yes it can , and it also irks me too!
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

While im sure theres truth to that i also think its very foolish.I put pages of items on watch just from curiosity,no intention of buying,sometimes just to see what it sells for...if it sells etc >>

I do the same thing.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Of COURSE you can put in a lower bid on a BIN................

For example, it offers a coins at a starting price of $1.99 with a BIN of $9.99. If you absolutely want the coin & don't want to lose it in a bidding war (or to someone else who exercises the BIN), then you select the BIN option & that's the end of the auction. But if you think you can win a bidding war or get it for cheaper, you can place the "starting" price bid & go from there. Once that bid is put in, the BIN option disappears.

- - Daveimage
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Of COURSE you can put in a lower bid on a BIN................

For example, it offers a coins at a starting price of $1.99 with a BIN of $9.99. If you absolutely want the coin & don't want to lose it in a bidding war (or to someone else who exercises the BIN), then you select the BIN option & that's the end of the auction. But if you think you can win a bidding war or get it for cheaper, you can place the "starting" price bid & go from there. Once that bid is put in, the BIN option disappears.

- - Daveimage >>

The BIN does not go away if the seller placed a reserve on it and the reserve is not met.
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

just happened yesterday.I'm the first bidder on a lot. a couple of days go by and I'm still the only bidder with 4 days to go and poof now its unavailable.So the seller probably got an offer and accepted it outside of e bay.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LQQK, its really not that bad and not all that cracked up like everyone says. image
  • Options
    gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Drive him nuts and watch every one of his items. Then un watch them and then watch them again when he puts the offer option up.

Richard
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When I see some nice coins on ebay with a 'Buy it Now' and 'Make an Offer' option and as soon as I add them to my watchlist, all of a sudden the 'Make an Offer' option goes away. I've had this happen a few times from a few different sellers but one in particular seems to do it everytime I add their coins to my watchlist. Sorry, perhaps I'm being too sensitive but this just irks me. >>

Maybe an option to avoid being irked would be to not make an offer on some nice coins on eBay with a BIN. Just pull the trigger. I'm not suggesting the price is too high, or your offer is too low. I'm thinking of a way that might help others in avoiding getting irked.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file