Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1975 Boston Red Sox - childhood memories

A thread the other day about watching baseball with your dad really got me thinking of my childhood again. I was 8 years old in 1975 and madly in love with the Boston Red Sox. My whole life revolved around baseball in those days. I was a pitcher playing for the Holden Eagles on my first team in Farm League - that was what they called it before advancing to Little League a couple years later. Probably an age thing. My first glove was a Spalding made from vinyl instead of leather. My only perfect memory of playing that year was getting a line drive back to the mound that actually cracked the palm of the glove. But I caught it. I even think I continued to use that glove until the tear got so bad all the fluffy padding had come out. Pretty sure I got a real glove after that. Luis Tiant was my pitching idol. My last name is Lewis and I had the nickname "Louie" throughout my childhood anyway. Saw it written "Lewie" at times which made more sense but never liked that version.

My bedroom was covered with Red Sox pictures and posters. Card collecting, flipping and trading was in full swing. Every kid on my street collected cards, coins and stamps back then. Stacks of rubberbanded cards were all over the room, in shoeboxes with 3x5s cut up to sort the teams. My mom used to take me to the Auburn Mall and I remember those big wire tubs in Kaybee stuffed with 1975 rack packs. I would just stay in that store the whole time she shopped, searching for the best players on top. When she would come back to get me, she would buy me 2 or 3 of them. Was always such a tough decision with all the choices I had. Then I would open them all up sitting in the back seat of our Volkswagen on the way home.

Anyway, back to the 75 Red Sox. My dad had a little home built bar down in our basement. He would play these 2 albums quite often: The 1967 Impossible Dream and (obviously not playing until either late 75 or early 76 depending on when it came out), Super Sox 75. My brother had bought me the Super Sox 75 album a couple years ago and I framed it and stuck it on my wall. I haven't had a turntable in over 20 years so had no way to ever play it. The thread the other day made me think to look on Ebay for the Impossible Dream album and I found one for about $10 shipped. It's not here yet but in anticipation of it arriving, I went out today and bought a USB turntable. First album I put it on was my Super Sox 75. The vinyl isn't in great shape so there are a few skips here and there, especially at the beginning of each side. Using the software it came with, I recorded both sides to 2 mp3 files that I thought I'd share with anyone interested in hearing. Hope it's ok to do this.

Enjoy and thanks for reading.

Super Sox 75 - Side 1

Super Sox 75 - Side 2

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Mike cool story...my wife and daughter just got back from the Auburn mall.
    They didn't see any 75 topps lol. Man had some great fun in 75 when i was 13..
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zep great memories. I moved to Augusta from Ohio in the winter of 75 and I remember my dad telling me about the Red Sox and I said who are the Red Sox? I was only 5 and a Pirate fan. Over the years I became a Sox fan and the 78 & 86 teams are my favorite. Btw I got your reference about farm league because I also played farm league. I made the same trip many times with my parents to the Auburn mall. I either went to the arcade or to Kaybee Toys.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those were the days!

One of my favorite "What if's....": What if Tony C's comeback hadn't forced Jim Rice to start the year in Pawtucket - would he have beat out Lynn for ROY? What if Rice didn't break his hand?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really want to post a picture of Bucky Dent in this thread, but I will not out of respect.

Hi Mike.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Armbrister would be more apropos Nick!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>Armbrister would be more apropos Nick! >>

Or Geronimo and Yaz ... last out of the WS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Yeah Nick, I know at your age, all those years start puddling up together but you're off by a few image

BTW, Hi Nick
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was 8 years old in 1975.......... >>

We're the same age Mike, and since I'm not a Reds fan I was going for more of a "Yankee knife in the heart of Boston" angle, not so much the 1975 angle. image
  • Options
    Mike ... I guess us New Yawkas just like busting BoSox chops! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    I can take it
  • Options

<< <i>I can take it >>

We know you can ... or else we would not do it.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I can take it >>

We know you can ... or else we would not do it. >>

Oh yes you would LOL