Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question : Kyrie Irving RC Cards

Will there be any issued? This crap about only Panini can produce cards is a crock of BS. Any info would be greatful.
Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's

Comments

• Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    Why the hell does he not have rookie cards???
  • Options
    Blame the powers that be who wanted to limit card manufacturing to Panini only. I could go off on this issue and rant and rave but why bother, nothing we can do to change it. I just dont see the harm in allowing more than one manufacturer. It hurts everyone. The collector gets screwed the most, as well as companies like PSA. The set registry has become a huge thing, you limit the manufacturing of cards you limit the subs to PSA. In turn the company makes less money and the profits are not there that could be (stocks) Im just a normal guy with common sense who looks at things differently than lawyers and corperate monguls.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭
    Panini signed him as an exclusive and then before they made any sets, the lockout happened and they couldn't create any NBA cards. They did put out a promo of him at last year's National and that card has been selling for $80 or so lately. However, it will crash hard I imagine as Panini is going to start doing redemptions for rookie cards in one of their next products. Once a card of Irving and other rookies comes out in the NBA jersey, other cards will not hold their value.
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    This is the abbreviated version of the explanation I received about the "rookie situation" from the head of hobby at Panini:

Because of the lockout, Panini A) was unable to negotiate contracts with rookies, B) there was no rookie photo shoot to have rookies sign cards and to obtain rookie premiere-worn jerseys, and C) the NBA offices worked with a skeleton crew and refused to review and approve any licensed products by manufacturers of any type.

Once the lockout ended, Panini would have only been logistically able to produce 2-3 products that contained rookies for the 2011-12 season. Rather than rush the rookies, Panini decided that it was in its best interest to delay making rookie cards of all 2011-12 rookies until the 2012-13 season. 2012-13 products will have rookie cards for both the 2011-12 and 2012-13 draft classes.

The last three products for the 2011-12 season (Past and Present, Limited, and Gold Standard) will have redemption cards for autographed rookie cards of players from both the 2011-12 and 2012-13 draft classes that they expect to ship by the end of the 2012 calendar year. These cards will be referred to as XRCs by Beckett.

So the one-sentence explanation is that Kyrie Irving will have rookie cards, but they will be in next year's 2012-13 products.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    What an idiotic situation. Shame on the NBA and shame on Panini.