Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1984 OPC Rack Pack with Mattingly on top

Passed on a 1984 OPC Rack Pack with Mattingly on top.Dealer wanted $75.00.Did I make a mistake?

Comments

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    That depends, is a 1984 OPC rack pack with Mattingly on top worth $75 to you? If so, then you made a mistake.
  • Options
    Tough call. Those Racks by themselves arent all that easy to come by. When Steve has them, they run about $6 for basic racks (no star power)

Topps basic racks go for about $3. Topps basic racks with Mattingly on top go for about $20

id say the rack you passed on is "worth" about $50
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    i think the fad about buying packs with stars on top is short-lived. if you're paying an exorbitant premium for a pack because of 1 card, you should just buy that card.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mac - I don't think packs with stars on top is a fad. About 12 years ago, I was buying lots of star packs from the '70's on eBay and there was some pretty good competition then. 5-6 years later, I sold pretty much all of them. Profits were made but I sure wish I still had those packs.
    Daniel
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    i think the fad about buying packs with stars on top is short-lived. if you're paying an exorbitant premium for a pack because of 1 card, you should just buy that card.

I'm going to have to disagree. Back in the late 80s and 90s I collected packs with stars showing, and I wasn't the only one. In 1990 paid $25 for a Fleer rack with Kevin Maas, Deion Sanders, and Rickey Henderson on top (clearly a savvy purchase). Since those days several collectors have entered and left the 'stars showing' market and paid premiums for packs with their favorite players or top RCs. With collecting getting even more specialized this market continues to grow. It's been relatively strong for about 25 years.

The only pack I have left is a 75 rack with Lynn on top that my grandfather bought me for $75 in the early 90s, but I can appreciate the motivation behind collecting them even though I don't collect them anymore.

Lee
  • Options
    As a player collector, I really like adding unopen packs with Dale Murphy on top. I have yet to find a 77,78, or 79 pack with him in my price range and probably won't. I for one hope that this is a fad and that prices will eventually drop. Only because I would like to buy some for my personal collection at at lower price.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I actually think the fad of stars on top is just beginning......

There are many buyers who collect certain players and these are just another item they can collect. Especially if youre a fan of an 80's star...honestly there are enough 1984 Topps Mattingly RC's out there that it will take an artificially made collectible that is scarce to make it desirable...hence the collectibility of a PSA 10 or rack or cello pack.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    I think you can compare this to low POP cards. There are maybe 5-10 people out there who might be willing to pay a large premium for the item. But once you start getting to the 15-25th buyers in terms of personal value, the price drops substantially. If you were soley looking at this from the perspective of flipping for profit, I would guess you could eventually find a buyer for $100-125; but it might take awhile to find that person.
  • Options

<< <i>I think you can compare this to low POP cards. There are maybe 5-10 people out there who might be willing to pay a large premium for the item. But once you start getting to the 15-25th buyers in terms of personal value, the price drops substantially. If you were soley looking at this from the perspective of flipping for profit, I would guess you could eventually find a buyer for $100-125; but it might take awhile to find that person. >>

Are you talking about this specific item, or unopened with stars on top in gerneral?
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    HoosierguyHoosierguy Posts: 124 ✭✭
    I was looking at it as a flip.