Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Am I understanding this correctly? Ebay

from the upcoming changes:

"You now get an automatic 5-star Detailed Seller Rating (DSR) for Communication when you specify 1-day handling, upload tracking information by the end of the next business day, and no communication was needed between you and the buyer. Of course, friendly, prompt and informative communication is always important, so on transactions where buyer and seller communications do occur, the Communication DSR will be rated by the buyer."

So if you say nothing at all to the buyer, but ship right away - The buyer can't rate you and you get a 5

If you actually send a thank you message or whatever, the buyer can give you a 1

How the hell does this encourage the communication that Ebay wants? Why would you ever want to contact a buyer?

Comments

• Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    No, lack of communication isn't necessary for the 5 DSR stars. You simply need to mail the item out within a day.

Jason
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    It states "no communication WAS needed." It didn't say that you can't communicate. Basically, loading the tracking info (automatic when using PayPal to ship) gets you a 5 if you do it by the next day from payment. Communication with the buyer does not open the DSR for less than 5 stars.
  • Options

<< <i>from the upcoming changes:

"You now get an automatic 5-star Detailed Seller Rating (DSR) for Communication when you specify 1-day handling, upload tracking information by the end of the next business day, and no communication was needed between you and the buyer. Of course, friendly, prompt and informative communication is always important, so on transactions where buyer and seller communications do occur, the Communication DSR will be rated by the buyer."

So if you say nothing at all to the buyer, but ship right away - The buyer can't rate you and you get a 5

If you actually send a thank you message or whatever, the buyer can give you a 1

How the hell does this encourage the communication that Ebay wants? Why would you ever want to contact a buyer? >>

I read it the same way as you did. After I went to the ebay site I was even more convinced:

Best practices for automatic 5-star DSR for Communication
    Follow these best practices to help you qualify for the automatic 5-star DSR for Communication.

Provide buyers with all the relevant information they need in your listings. Clearly describe your items, list your item specifics, returns policy, shipping information, and payment methods so that buyers don’t need to contact you with questions before making a purchase decision. New business policies make it fast and easy to include this information.

LINK
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    and they wonder why folks are looking for alternate ways to sell things.....they are getting like the government, making everything so confusing nobody will understand anything....and it hurts me to say this since I'm a federal government retiree...
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    More ebay BS.

I have been on ebay for nearly 14 years and can still remember when FVF was at most 5%, they didnt fee your shipping, you could take personal checks/money orders, there were not as many scam artists selling or buying, store fees were $15 a month and listings were 1-2 cents, there were no feedback extortions by buyers, sellers left feedback when paid-not when they were left feedback, there were no DSR ratings, no discounts for this and that, your feedback totals were your overall feedback, not just FB in a certain time frame..and on and on and on and on...

Sometimes it makes me think the IRS is actually RUNNING ebay with its policy making.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options

<< <i>More ebay BS.

I have been on ebay for nearly 14 years and can still remember when FVF was at most 5%, they didnt fee your shipping, you could take personal checks/money orders, there were not as many scam artists selling or buying, store fees were $15 a month and listings were 1-2 cents, there were no feedback extortions by buyers, sellers left feedback when paid-not when they were left feedback, there were no DSR ratings, no discounts for this and that, your feedback totals were your overall feedback, not just FB in a certain time frame..and on and on and on and on...

Sometimes it makes me think the IRS is actually RUNNING ebay with its policy making. >>

I too sold on ebay over 13 years ago and recently just started up again 6 months ago. I am appalled at not only the B.S. rules but the robber baron fees. Now this rule is like if you have any contact with me during an auction (like how's the weather?) and end up winning you can rate me. How about this? You win auction and pay within 3 days, I send item tracked, you file no complaints within 3 days of delivery, we both get automatic positives and we move on.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • Options
    What I dont like it when I sell something and have to open a unpaid case against someone. Then they buyer dings my stars. Its not my fault you waiting 4 days to pay after using the BIN feature. This just happened to me the other day. Secondly, Its amazing how I ship an item on a Monday, the buyer gets it on Thursday and dings my shipping time. How is this my fault or slow shipping?
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What I dont like it when I sell something and have to open a unpaid case against someone. Then they buyer dings my stars. Its not my fault you waiting 4 days to pay after using the BIN feature. This just happened to me the other day. Secondly, Its amazing how I ship an item on a Monday, the buyer gets it on Thursday and dings my shipping time. How is this my fault or slow shipping? >>

My favorite is the guy who wins an auction on the 1st, hasnt paid for it by the 11th, so you send a payment reminder, he still doesnt pay until the 15th, then on the 17th, he sends you an email asking if you have sent it, what the tracking number is and if you have it well packaged
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It states "no communication WAS needed." It didn't say that you can't communicate. Basically, loading the tracking info (automatic when using PayPal to ship) gets you a 5 if you do it by the next day from payment. Communication with the buyer does not open the DSR for less than 5 stars. >>

not how I'm reading it Scott. I read it as if you say one word to the buyer, he'll be able to ding you. If you do the 1 day and tracking thing and say nothing at all, he can't touch you.