Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

ebay - DC shows package was delivered; buyer says item not received

I sold an item on ebay and USPS tracking shows the package was promptly delivered using priority service. 2 weeks later the buyer contacts me and says he does not have the package despite tracking records showing delivery. Also the buyer was "away" for a week or so and was getting back to me after he returned. They are requesting a refund which I don't feel I should offer. Do they have any chance of winning a case with ebay/PayPal? Buyer has perfect feedback with a few hundred transactions so I don't suspect foul play and it's not even a high dollar item.

Comments

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    did you use the green DC confirmation and was it under 250.00 purchase price?
  • Options
    You will win the case if he decides to open it. You may be risking a negative feedback by declining to refund him, even though his problem is with USPS, not with you.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Money>Negative Feedback
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    always a chance the post office delivered it to the wrong address or mail box. only signature confirmation can prove other wise. he might win the case with just delivery confirmation,
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Offer no refund. Tracking shows the item was delivered. Case closed.
  • Options
    ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    The dumbass shouldn't have been ordering stuff if he was away or left instructions for whoever was supposed to be getting his mail. I call BS
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the item was under 250$ and you shipped to a confirmed address you will win the case if he files one. The whole" being away" story sounds fishy to me, too. I bet it was dlvd to his address but someone took it afterwards.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Sorry but you will lose. I have already been burnt for this with paypal. If you used a green DC it is not a signature. Just means package was delivered. Doesn't mean it got delivered to the right address.
    I gave paypal the DC confirmation and they told me it does not prove that the item was delivered properly. So DC is basically useless when selling on e-bay.
    I'd say good luck with your case but i already know theoutcome.
    Cheers, Steve
    Die Hard Toronto Maple Leafs Fan !!
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    So the whole PayPal tracking required makes no sense.
    Seller follows all the proper protocol and will still lose? Can't be right.
  • Options
    If the seller sent the item out with DC he is OK, as long as it was for less than $250. Even if the buyer tries to reverse the charges on his credit card the seller will be covered under Paypal's Seller Protection policy.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry but you will lose. I have already been burnt for this with paypal. If you used a green DC it is not a signature. Just means package was delivered. Doesn't mean it got delivered to the right address.
    I gave paypal the DC confirmation and they told me it does not prove that the item was delivered properly. So DC is basically useless when selling on e-bay.
    Cheers, Steve >>

You're in Canada - probably something different in your case. He's covered as long as the $250/sig is done
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Sorry but you will lose. I have already been burnt for this with paypal. If you used a green DC it is not a signature. Just means package was delivered. Doesn't mean it got delivered to the right address.
    Cheers, Steve >>

You're in Canada - probably something different in your case. He's covered as long as the $250/sig is done >>

This is correct. You do not need signature confirmation unless the value exceeds $250. You will not lose if he files a claim.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I very recently had the same situation. You will win the case but I was told by ebay that the buyer can still leave negative feedback. They can even leave negative feedback even if you refund the money. It has become ridiculous. So the qustion that you have to ask yourself is ... Does the money mean more than your feedback or vice versa.
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry but you will lose. I have already been burnt for this with paypal. If you used a green DC it is not a signature. Just means package was delivered. Doesn't mean it got delivered to the right address. >>

I call BS on this one. DC is for items under $250. Signature Confirmation is for items over $250. That is per PayPal's own handbook on how to protect yourself as a seller.
  • Options
    Explain to me why i got the charges reversed then? I mailed out cards from Detroit Michigan with DC. Cards were valued just over 50.00 dollars. Buyer says he never recieved cards. I sent him and paypal the DC number showing that cards were delivered. He wins case. Reason from paypal ? I cannot prove he recieved them with just DC. Anybody could have recieved them. I called paypal and i also reopened the case. Still lost.
    So if i lost he will lose according to paypal. I'm just stating what i was told after losing my case with paypal. Another case i lost i sent signature required. Was for 1200.00. Buyer states he did not recieve his cards. I had insurance and signature required both saying that cards were recieved. Well guess what? Postman didn't get the signature so i was out of luck. If you looked for the signature online it came up as blank. The only good thing out of this transaction is that i did have insurance and was reinbursed the 1200.00 plus the shipping costs minus the insurance.
    If he wins his case then i want my money back as well !!
    Steve
    Die Hard Toronto Maple Leafs Fan !!
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Dang Steve, that sucks.
    So if this is true, what good is it to follow paypal's rules?
    It's just no fun anymore selling cards and having to worry about every single transaction.
  • Options
    Ask burke23 about the DCbeing acceptable for packages under 250. He truly didn't receive a package that was 249 and couldn't get his money back because DC showed package was delivered even though it wasn't to his address.

• Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>Explain to me why i got the charges reversed then? I mailed out cards from Detroit Michigan with DC. Cards were valued just over 50.00 dollars. Buyer says he never recieved cards. I sent him and paypal the DC number showing that cards were delivered. He wins case. Reason from paypal ? I cannot prove he recieved them with just DC. Anybody could have recieved them. I called paypal and i also reopened the case. Still lost.
    So if i lost he will lose according to paypal. I'm just stating what i was told after losing my case with paypal. Another case i lost i sent signature required. Was for 1200.00. Buyer states he did not recieve his cards. I had insurance and signature required both saying that cards were recieved. Well guess what? Postman didn't get the signature so i was out of luck. If you looked for the signature online it came up as blank. The only good thing out of this transaction is that i did have insurance and was reinbursed the 1200.00 plus the shipping costs minus the insurance.
    Steve >>

That's some tough cases Steve. I'm not sure how exactly you would lose those cases since you
    followed ebay/paypal's policies as far as tracking goes.

I've never lost a case like this in 12+ years of selling. Not that I've had a lot of them, but
    I've had maybe 6-7 cases during that time. As long as I could prove as a seller I shipped
    to a confirmed address, I won the case.

These days, ebay will try to pressure the seller into giving the buyer a refund, even if the
    seller followed all the shipping guidelines laid out by paypal and ebay.
    Just don't give in to ebay's strong arm BS and the seller should prevail.
    Of course you could still get a negative, but I would never allow a neg.
    to change my mind, when as a seller you did your job and shipped to the correct address.

It's pretty simple, all transactions involve three parties. The seller, the buyer, the shipper.
    Once the item leaves the seller's hands, it's the job of the shipper to get that item to the buyer.
    If ebay could somehow hold the shipper (say USPS) accountable with some sort of feedback
    extortion, they would. But they can't so they push their policies back to the seller to try to
    placate the buyers.

• Options
    Steve, maybe you were shipping to a confirmed address...?

For the O.P., Maybe you can politely let the buyer know that it's really between he and the post office and he should contact them...? I know that's a long shot but if you're planning on not refunding him, that's where I think you should start.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I sold an item on ebay and USPS tracking shows the package was promptly delivered using priority service. 2 weeks later the buyer contacts me and says he does not have the package despite tracking records showing delivery. Also the buyer was "away" for a week or so and was getting back to me after he returned. They are requesting a refund which I don't feel I should offer. Do they have any chance of winning a case with ebay/PayPal? Buyer has perfect feedback with a few hundred transactions so I don't suspect foul play and it's not even a high dollar item. >>

Same thing happened to me.USPS delivery confirmation confirms delivery was made.I just gave the guy a refund although Pay pal said I was not obligated to.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    sometimes its just the principal of it...

we have just 2 negatives from a guy who says he never received his package ...

delivery confirmation shows its was scanned and safely delivered to his PO Box...

we took the negatives rather than refund, he lost his paypal dispute, but I think its wrong to give liars a platform....

we won the paypal dispute and then he tagged us with 2 negs...

Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Explain to me why i got the charges reversed then? I mailed out cards from Detroit Michigan with DC. Cards were valued just over 50.00 dollars. Buyer says he never recieved cards. I sent him and paypal the DC number showing that cards were delivered. He wins case. Reason from paypal ? I cannot prove he recieved them with just DC. Anybody could have recieved them. I called paypal and i also reopened the case. Still lost. >>

It sounds to me that you went to the post office to mail the item. Paypal only will cover the <$250 with DC if it was shipped using their labels, otherwise they have no idea what address you sent it to. Sorry.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options

<< <i>sometimes its just the principal of it... >>

Rick - I had one instance where a delivery to my PO Box never made it to me (it ended up going to another PO Box that collects baseball cards as well). I have also received his items as well. Lucky for us, we are both honest, as I gave him his package back that was erroneously mailed and he gave me mine back. But sometimes the post office misdelivers the packages. It is a shame, as it is hard to tell who is telling the truth, and who is trying to get something for nothing.
  • Options
    jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭

<< <i>Explain to me why i got the charges reversed then? I mailed out cards from Detroit Michigan with DC. Cards were valued just over 50.00 dollars. Buyer says he never recieved cards. I sent him and paypal the DC number showing that cards were delivered. He wins case. Reason from paypal ? I cannot prove he recieved them with just DC. Anybody could have recieved them. I called paypal and i also reopened the case. Still lost.
    Steve >>

If OP printed label through paypal he will be covered.

You got a paper D/C so paypay was in the right to reverse your charges as you COULD have sent it to yourself and nobody could know.
  • Options
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    And that's why I insure everything, no matter how small. If I lose, at least I can open a claim with the post office.
  • Options