Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Best shot at 100% HOF votes

So who do you think has the best shot to get 100% of the votes for the hall of fame in the next few years. For me, it would be Greg Maddux. Never a hint of steroids, second most wins in modern history, nice guy. I think Griffey gets dinged due to injuries, plus sluggers of the era are always going to have a cloud of suspicion over them.

Who do you think gets 100% - or no one ever since there is always one writer who is a ****?
"If we are facing in the right direction, all we need to do is keep on walking." - David Brent

Comments

• Options
    bvcbvc Posts: 100 ✭✭
    In ~10 years: Derek Jeter

Sooner: Mariano Rivera
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Most likely to get 100% in the next 10 years or so, IMO, in order of likelihood

1. Greg Maddux
    2. Randy Johnson
    3. Frank Thomas
    4. Ken Griffey
    5. Mariano Rivera
    6. Pedro Martinez
    7. Vladimir Guerrero
    8. Chipper Jones
    9. Trevor Hoffman
    10. John Smoltz

I think Maddux is the best shot at 100%. #2-5 could potentially get it but will likely fall short due to an obstinate writer or two.
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭
    Maddux has a good shot, and I surprised that no one ever got 100%. I believe Seaver has the highest percentage, all but 2 votes I think.

I always thought Ripken or Gwynn might have had a shot at 100%.

I hate the Yankees, but believe Mo and Jeter might have a shot 100%.

• Options
    I'm a Yankees fan, but I don't see Jeter getting 100% simply due to the anti-NY bias some writers have. They will say he was soft in the field. Rivera is a definte possibility.
    "If we are facing in the right direction, all we need to do is keep on walking." - David Brent
  • Options
    GoldlabelsGoldlabels Posts: 359 ✭✭
    If Rickey Henderson didn't get 100% when he got into the Hall I don't think anyone will. I think it's become a matter of principle for the voters to not vote anyone 100%
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Maddux,Jeter and Rivera, at best.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Nobody will ever get 100% because some idiot will send in an empty ballot. I still think there should be a rule that if 95% vote for someone and you don't, and this happens twice, you lose your vote.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    No one has any shot.

Yankee players will lose votes in Boston.

Maddux will lose votes (Cubs = White Sox Voters Braves = Mets, Phillies Voters)

Griffey = too many injuries.

Thomas = no chance

Pedro = No chance, he did throw a Senior Citizen to the ground on National TV.

Vlad = Not doing very well in the past few years, it will cost him votes. Probably the Athletics voters will not vote for him.

Johnson = has a chance, but their are anti Johnson voters out their.

Sorry to have killed your dream, but it will/should never happen.

Dave
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    No Hall of Famer has ever gotten 100% of the vote. What's so awesome about today's players that sets them apart from the legends who are already enshrined?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Mariano will not. He's a relief pitcher. NO CHANCE! He'll get in but not a high percentage of vote.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I believe the writers actually collude to make sure nobody does at this point. There's no explanation as to why Tony Gwynn didn't. Universally loved and hit .338 for his career. It's a bunch of BS, really.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mariano will not. He's a relief pitcher. NO CHANCE! He'll get in but not a high percentage of vote. >>

Yeah, no way does he get 100%. I'd be surprised if he got 95%.

Jeter? He's maybe got a shot but I suspect he'll fall into the 98% range.

I would say Maddux probably has the best shot but even he won't get it. There's always a few guys that vote against obvious HOFers just so they WON'T get 100% "since Babe Ruth didn't get 100%".

Tabe
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe the writers actually collude to make sure nobody does at this point. There's no explanation as to why Tony Gwynn didn't. Universally loved and hit .338 for his career. It's a bunch of BS, really. >>

there are a couple writers who subscribe to the theory that there are no players are deservant on the first ballott or that any player who played in the "steroid era" is suspect

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    that is pretty sad, not one person at 100%. So you are telling me some fools thought that all of these guys do not belong in the HOF.

1999 Nolan Ryan 98.80%
    1992 Tom Seaver 98.80%
    2007 Cal Ripken 98.50%
    1999 George Brett 98.20%
    1936 Ty Cobb 98.20%
    1982 Hank Aaron 97.80%
    2007 Tony Gwynn 97.60%
    1995 Mike Schmidt 96.50%
    1989 Johnny Bench 96.40%
    1994 Steve Carlton 95.60%
    1936 Babe Ruth 95.10%
    1936 Honus Wagner 95.10%
    2009 Rickey Henderson 94.80%
  • Options
    MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    Smoltz 100% before Glavine? Great teammates but Glavine is a 300+ game winner, 5-time 20+ game winner that led the league in wins each time, 2 CY's, 10x AS and a WS ring. That's a Hall of famer!
  • Options
    jwgatorsjwgators Posts: 460 ✭✭
    At some point, shouldn't these guys have their voting rights revoked for sheer idiocy. I mean if Aaron, Ruth, Cobb, etc. are not HOFers in someone's mind, is that voter even relevant to baseball?

<< <i>that is pretty sad, not one person at 100%. So you are telling me some fools thought that all of these guys do not belong in the HOF.

1999 Nolan Ryan 98.80%
    1992 Tom Seaver 98.80%
    2007 Cal Ripken 98.50%
    1999 George Brett 98.20%
    1936 Ty Cobb 98.20%
    1982 Hank Aaron 97.80%
    2007 Tony Gwynn 97.60%
    1995 Mike Schmidt 96.50%
    1989 Johnny Bench 96.40%
    1936 Babe Ruth 95.10%
    1936 Honus Wagner 95.10%
    2009 Rickey Henderson 94.80% >>

Joel
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No way any modern player gets 100%. It would be blasphemy if a modern player gets 100% of the vote when Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ted Williams, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays and others weren't deemed worthy enough of unanimous selection.
  • Options
    jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    omar vizquel
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    My guess: Nobody!

Right or wrong, there are still a small number of voters (regardless of sport) that simply won't give a "Yes" vote on a player for no other reason than they simply don't vote for anyone on their first year on the ballot.
  • Options

<< <i>that is pretty sad, not one person at 100%. So you are telling me some fools thought that all of these guys do not belong in the HOF.

1999 Nolan Ryan 98.80%
    1992 Tom Seaver 98.80%
    2007 Cal Ripken 98.50%
    1999 George Brett 98.20%
    1936 Ty Cobb 98.20%
    1982 Hank Aaron 97.80%
    2007 Tony Gwynn 97.60%
    1995 Mike Schmidt 96.50%
    1989 Johnny Bench 96.40%
    1936 Babe Ruth 95.10%
    1936 Honus Wagner 95.10%

This is why I never entertain HOF conversations. How can there NEVER have been a player who got 100% of the votes?
    I look at the guys I saw play growing up......Ripken, Ryan, Brett, Schmidt, Gwynn, and Henderson should have ALL been 100% imo. The fact that NONE of them got in at 100% is a joke, and it shows that the voting system is a joke.......Imo, SOME of the voters are wanna-be, elitist snobs..... They must think in some small twisted way that not voting for a superstar is their small way of impacting baseball history......sad

• Options
    If it's never happened in the past, it will never happen in the future.

Hopefully Jeter goes out on a high note (reverse of Steve Carlton).
    How can you not vote for this guy ?????

Even as a Phillies fan, I really enjoy watching Jeter. He is everything that is good about Baseball
  • Options

<< <i>I have been lucky to be a Yankees fan for the Jeter/Rivera show! I don't think either will get 100% BUT IF Jeter has enough in the tank to take a Run at 4000 and then Rose... He may do it. I LOVE Pete Rose - He Deserves IN!!!!! BUT I bet Major Leauge Baseball would love an new all time hit leader. >>

I love Jeter as a player, but I think 4000 is a stretch...could happen but probably wont....3700-3800 certainly isn't out of the question imo

No way he catches Rose imo, not unless he plays until he 50 lol.

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    I wonder how close to 100% Barry Bonds will hit this winter?

And by 100%, I mean, 100% of NO WAY!
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    The writers always hated Bonds even well before the 2000's. I'm thinking he'll receive 25% of the vote.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder how close to 100% Barry Bonds will hit this winter?

And by 100%, I mean, 100% of NO WAY! >>

From your lips(fingers) the the BBWA voters ears!!!!

Dave
  • Options
    While I do think there are some voters who don't want to elect ANYONE on the first ballot... I think it is mostly because of the argument that "Well, if A, B, and C weren't first ballot guys... then D shouldn't be either."

I think, though, that there are some who are just waiting for the perfect candidate to come along to be the first to get in that way. Whomever that player is, he will be known for that forever.. so it's a big distinction. If that ice ever gets broken, I think then there will be a bunch who might make it.

I think, and this comes from a Met fan, if there was anyone on the horizon who you could argue would be worthy of that distinction... it will probably be Jeter.

Ugh, that was hard to say. :-)
  • Options
    MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    My first Ballot HOF'ers in no particular order: Ken Griffey Jr, Greg Maddux, Randy Johnson & Derek Jeter
  • Options
    If Hank Aaron didn't get 100% of the vote on the first ballot, no one ever should.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maddux won't be unanimous, since someone will elect to not vote for him due to his sloppy, unreadable chicken scratch of a signature.

Randy Johnson also won't be unanimous since someone will hold his blowing up of a bird with a pitch against him.

Steve
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

1999 Nolan Ryan 98.80%
    1992 Tom Seaver 98.80%
    2007 Cal Ripken 98.50%
    1999 George Brett 98.20%
    1936 Ty Cobb 98.20%
    1982 Hank Aaron 97.80%
    2007 Tony Gwynn 97.60%
    1995 Mike Schmidt 96.50%
    1989 Johnny Bench 96.40%
    1936 Babe Ruth 95.10%
    1936 Honus Wagner 95.10%

This is why I never entertain HOF conversations. How can there NEVER have been a player who got 100% of the votes?
    I look at the guys I saw play growing up......Ripken, Ryan, Brett, Schmidt, Gwynn, and Henderson should have ALL been 100% imo. The fact that NONE of them got in at 100% is a joke, and it shows that the voting system is a joke.......Imo, SOME of the voters are wanna-be, elitist snobs..... They must think in some small twisted way that not voting for a superstar is their small way of impacting baseball history......sad >>

Jeez..........

Willie Mays not even in the Top-13 imageimageimage

Steve
  • Options
    A lot of racism involved in the Aaron / Mays votes I suspect since they were so long ago.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No way any modern player gets 100%. It would be blasphemy if a modern player gets 100% of the vote when Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ted Williams, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays and others weren't deemed worthy enough of unanimous selection. >>

AGREE!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>No way any modern player gets 100%. It would be blasphemy if a modern player gets 100% of the vote when Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ted Williams, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays and others weren't deemed worthy enough of unanimous selection. >>

AGREE! >>

Second that!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pete Rose image

Shane