Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

In your research - do you keep something like this?

Recently, as I was trying to track down a particular PCGS coin, I realized that it would be pretty handy to export PCGS population report for the coin series you're researching, add notes and coins you've already documented in the past and have each comment about a recorded coin hyperlinked back to images I have saved previously.

Here's an example of how I keep track of my series when it comes to PCGS certified coins. Do you have something similar for your research?

Color coding is: green - currently owned, red - previously owned and sold, blue - known to be cracked-out.

~~~~>Check it out.<~~~~

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the way, if you have PCGS certified portrait 8 Reales and don't mind if I add them to my research database, or any comments on any of the coins already in it - please let me know or just type into the spreadsheet i linked above. There are a few folks here with coins in PCGS type sets (Coinkat, dizzlecc, rosswb) that I would be interested in getting more information about.
  • Options
    DeiGratiaDeiGratia Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    Roman I used to have lots of entombed 8 Reales which have now been released and set free from their plastic prison.

BUT BUT BUT

I have 1 PCGS AU58 Still entombed. It's a Ferdinand VII .... Peru ... I think... which I feel is an MS 62... HAHA..... DAMN YOU PCGS.

I'll post a picture of it tonight my friend !
  • Options
    Thanks! I'll add it to my Peruvian 8R portrait notes.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    It's almost embarrassing to say that I keep pretty detailed records of (mostly ebay) auction results very much like this, but for far more series. Basically any Canadian series of coins I might ever want to dive into, along with a few select others. I never thought myself to have OCD tendencies, but I definitely have a touch of it. Not necessarily a bad thing though!

That being said, I've cut down on it quite a bit. Mostly just on the amount of auctions I am watching. But still, on a good 75% of the Canadian coins I am watching on Ebay, I will jot down the auction date/cert #/coin info and realized price onto the proper sheet after it ends. Sometimes it comes in very handy to see the real price trends, and comparing ICCS vs PCGS vs NGC realized prices over time. It certainly helps with my research, being able to pull up auctions I've seen go by on Ebay more than 30 days past. Can't say that my method is very time effective, but I find it helpful, especially for lower population pieces.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Wow, you guys are a lot more organized than I am.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roman - very impressive. I use mostly my gut.
  • Options
    This works only if you're dealing with a rather small dataset, like is the case with portrait 8 Reales in PCGS.

I'm planning to put the same for NGC and it will take way more research.