Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

This probably isn't a coin, but it looks like an ancient hunk of metal

I'm not sure what this is, the closest thing I can think of is some kind of small ingot. It's a little over an inch along any side of the face. It's only struck on one side, and not shaped like a coin, but the scene looks something like what you might see on an ancient coin. Thought it couldn't hurt to ask around, and that maybe the people around here had seen something like this before. Thanks for any insight!:

Comments

• is it silver?
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks very interesting doesn't it?

You might want to determine the metalic composition by density but it
    appears to be lead decreasing the chance it's very old and eliminating the
    possibility it is related to coinage.

It's outside my experience.
    Tempus fugit.
  • I'll try to figure out what kind of metal it is! Thanks!
  • Maybe a seal?
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat piece. My gut says apothecary weight, but I've never seen one that pretty.

My suggestion: Weigh it. Then compare its weight with generally used apothecary weights.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Maybe a decorative piece or in-lay of some type? That was my first thought.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    It looks like some sort of Hindu iconography.
  • Thanks for the input. I just have a postal scale so the resolution on the weight isn't that good. I weighed the metal, and it's between 35 and 40 grams. In ounces it measures 1.2 to 1.4. I'm guessing it is lead, in that I took a small spot on the back and scratched the dark almost black patina and it's a dull silver color underneath. I've looked around for any significant event with with 2 on a horse, no luck yet, but I haven't looked into Hindu yet! Thanks again!
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It looks like some sort of Hindu iconography. >>

That was my guess.image

• << <i>Thanks for the input. I just have a postal scale so the resolution on the weight isn't that good. I weighed the metal, and it's between 35 and 40 grams. In ounces it measures 1.2 to 1.4. I'm guessing it is lead, in that I took a small spot on the back and scratched the dark almost black patina and it's a dull silver color underneath. I've looked around for any significant event with with 2 on a horse, no luck yet, but I haven't looked into Hindu yet! Thanks again! >>

Two men on one horse appears often in history , its commenly associated with Masons and the Knights Templer,the motif is in fact the seal of the Knights Templer.
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks for the input. I just have a postal scale so the resolution on the weight isn't that good. I weighed the metal, and it's between 35 and 40 grams. In ounces it measures 1.2 to 1.4. I'm guessing it is lead, in that I took a small spot on the back and scratched the dark almost black patina and it's a dull silver color underneath. I've looked around for any significant event with with 2 on a horse, no luck yet, but I haven't looked into Hindu yet! Thanks again! >>

Two men on one horse appears often in history , its commenly associated with Masons and the Knights Templer,the motif is in fact the seal of the Knights Templer. >>

I suppose. The second rider looks female to me. It does resemble the Knights Templar seal but there are some significant differences.
  • JamesMurrayJamesMurray Posts: 4,036
    I agree summon , i didnt mean i thought that item was from the Templers era , just that the Templers use that motif/design with two men on one horse.
    Harking back to my old metal detecting magazines and books of yesteryear i'd go along with FB's idea that it could be a lead seal.These lead seals were used for sacks of grain etc.
    Yes, maybe a seal. When I first saw it I thought it might be an amulet of some sort.