Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grading Company Perceptions When Purchasing on eBay

As a newer graded collector (collected raw before), does anyone see a real “perception” discount between the graders due to the color of the paper at the top. Sure the second tier grading companies (and to a smaller degree the top 3) have true differences in grading which can affect auction value for valid reasons, however I am talking about the same card in two different slabs and how the auction value might change on eBay for example.

Having done a bit or research here and other well trafficked collectors boards the general consensus is that a PSA 8 is on average is equal to SGC 88 (of course there is always the possibility of the +/- 1 if regraded). Do you generally see the PSA 8 going for more than the SGC 88 in that instance because someone would rather have the PSA case?

Just a question.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    In general....PSA sells for more than SGC. Not all of the time; but most of the time.
  • Options

<< <i>In general....PSA sells for more than SGC. Not all of the time; but most of the time. >>

this.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Interesting. Follow up question...

Do you see most collectors preferring to stay within one grading company for visual constancy of their collection or do most collectors not really care about which of the top 3 companies they deal with as it really is only about the card.

The reason I ask as I purchase two cards recently within the same set from two different grading companies and a thought crossed through my head that I would have preferred to have one color banner instead of two, possibly to the point of accepting a lesser card. Which is why I ask where other collectors thought processes on this are.

Thanks
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting. Follow up question...

Do you see most collectors preferring to stay within one grading company for visual constancy of their collection or do most collectors not really care about which of the top 3 companies they deal with as it really is only about the card.

The reason I ask as I purchase two cards recently within the same set from two different grading companies and a thought crossed through my head that I would have preferred to have one color banner instead of two, possibly to the point of accepting a lesser card. Which is why I ask where other collectors thought processes on this are.

Thanks >>

most collectors prefer PSA or SGC. Some collect both.

Most investors prefer the grading card company that is "most popular" in their respected genre.

Pre-war = SGC
    Post War = PSA
    Modern = BGS
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Thanks.

That thought really got me to realizing that I was placing a little too much thought into the plastic and not enough into the card, which is why I asked my original question which ultimately boils down to can I get a really nice card just a little cheaper if I go outside the preferred plastic vendor for that card. The answer seems to be it is possible to save an extra couple of dollars if I do.
  • Options
    Fred,
    Yes...most collectors want all of the holders the same, especially for set collecting. As far as individual players....I will also buy from SGC if the deal is absolutely right. I have about 10% of my major star cards in SGC and 90% PSA. Also, as far as sets go....PSA cards are generally easier to find than SGC or BVG---I'm talking about 1940's to the 80's; but I think are easier to find in any era.
  • Options
    Thanks Mickey. There are definately many more PSAs out there which does make set building a little easier (I am building a PSA 7 1951 Bowman football set - still my favorite looking vintage card). However this also kinda led me to the thought that buying from another grader I might be able to shave a couple of $$ off a star card comparable to a PSA. I know when I search eBay I will genrally put in something like this 1965 topps joe namath PSA, which will eliminate possible other graders, thus making me wonder if those comperable cards are not being seen and bid on by many folks.

I guess you can chalk this up to purchasing strategy questions.

Thanks all for your input.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks.

That thought really got me to realizing that I was placing a little too much thought into the plastic and not enough into the card, which is why I asked my original question which ultimately boils down to can I get a really nice card just a little cheaper if I go outside the preferred plastic vendor for that card. The answer seems to be it is possible to save an extra couple of dollars if I do. >>

There are a lot of nice cards in non-PSA holders, so this is a viable strategy. However, the premium that most post-war cards get in the PSA slabs can be significant. You can't buy in an SGC slab and then sell expecting to get PSA prices.

From a consistency of "look" standpoint, that becomes another issue. I am mostly a PSA-guy buy I have a few SGC cards which it seems are next to impossible to get equal cross-overs on. Seems like you either crack-out and take your chances or you have low chances of getting the cross-over. I think it's a combination of a marketing tactic, as well as the fact that it is a bit harder to grade a card that is in a slab.

Dave
  • Options
    70Topps,
    Yes....the whole crossing over cards thing is rough. PSA does not like to cross SGC stuff over. A complete crapshoot.
  • Options
    For the questions I asked above it comes down to personal collecting for me. If I was interested mainly in investment I would definitely stay with PSA, but the cards I am looking for right now are for long term ownership and personal collection. In this case if I find a really nice SGC 88 for less than a PSA 8 (the same visual appeal) I am hoping the rule of thumb on place like eBay are that I can get it a bit cheaper due to not having a red banner.

I would even consider raw but most of the appealing stuff is slabbed now and the appealing raw stuff left is going BIN for the same price as some of the slabbed stuff.