Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Card Savers

Any thoughts on using Card Saver 1's for long term storage instead of binders or toploaders.

Thanks, Marlin

Comments

• Options
    I prefer to have my cards that are $5 and up all in penny sleeves and then into top loaders. Any cards less than that I just place into a binder. I don't prefer card savers because I like to look at my cards from time to time and the cases sometimes get scratched up and to replace the cases means that the cards would have to be handled and I prefer to handle them as little as possible. In top loaders, I can easily slide the card out with the penny sleeve still intact and just replace the top loader which I do every few months.
  • Options
    I agree with Foo. I certainly would not use a binder. Even on sets I have, or partial sets from the 70's, everything is in a penny sleeve and top loader. Worth the time and small expense IMO.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with Foo. I certainly would not use a binder. Even on sets I have, or partial sets from the 70's, everything is in a penny sleeve and top loader. Worth the time and small expense IMO. >>

I agree. I constantly worry that I may damage the card going in and out of Cardsavers (although I never have) whereas top loads w/ sleeves are easy. Just personal preference.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • Options
    Bear48Bear48 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭
    I use a penny sleeve and Card Saver IIs. This results in a lot less bulk than top loaders.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Card saver 1's and 2's...Which is the smaller one? The smaller one is way too tight. I would never use that one.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put all submittable cards in card savers and the and the others in 10ct hard plastic holders. Eventually, I put those cards in binders in numerical order as I like the way the 9-pocket pages presents the cards in sequence for the set.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭
    I recall reading in a thread on here a few years ago that cardsavers were bad for long term storage. I think the reasoning was that they put stress on the card. I currently only use toploaders but would like to use cardsavers simply for the space savings if they are indeed safe.
  • Options
    jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    i put most of my cards in a lucite 4x6 slab that is 4" thick....it will only open by my electronic fingerprints.. i have over 2,000 of these...but i only use them for my 1988 score cards...one day i am going to send them to psa for grading
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • Options
    bvcbvc Posts: 100 ✭✭
    I just re-organized a majority of my collection. I was all ready to standardize on Card Saver 1's and BCS Super Vault boxes when I switched gears and ended up going with 9-pocket ultra pro platinum pages and those Univenture binders. Less expensive and easier to enjoy my cards. I doubt they are at risk for any damage long term.
  • Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    Currently I use card saver IIs for my 82 and newer sets and penny sleeves and top loaders for 81 and older. Not sure why, it just turned out that way!
  • Options
    Will PSA take cards in penny sleeves and top loaders? I've only submitted in card savers.
    Post War HOF Rookies #4