Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1968 Bazooka box tabs missing. HELP PLEASE!

My favorite grading company is (again) driving me crazy.image

Several months ago I submitted a Bazooka item that looked like the example in the link below, it was graded "1968 BAZOOKA PANEL 8 BROOKS ROBINSON/HARMON KILLEBREW/JIM McGLOTHLIN/TONY GONZALEZ/WILLIE HORTON HAND CUT".

Next, I sent in the complete box and it was returned as "too big".

Recently, I sent in one (sorry, no scan) that had just the "tabs" (not the ends of the box) cut off, and they say this is wrong as well. Originally slabbed it as "complete box" I called, now they are calling it "1968 BAZOOKA 11 GONZALEZ/McGLOTHLIN/HORTON/KILLEBREW TIPS FROM THE TOPPS-HAND CUT". Of course it shipped.

Need it to fit into my registry set as; "1968 BAZOOKA COMPLETE BOX BROOKS ROBINSON/HARMON KILLEBREW/JIM McGLOTHLIN/TONY GONZALEZ/WILLIE HORTON HAND CUT TABS MISSING".

Bazooka box?

Is the link shown the correct way to cut these, seems to be a shame to have to cut of so much. As an old Dad who spent many years putting toys together on Christmas morning, I think I know what a "tab" is.

Can anyone post a scan of what they have?

Spoke with Sonja (very nice btw)at PSA and I think we will eventually get it fixed, but it's been frustrating!

Thanks.

Joe
2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Comments

• Options
    Hi Joe,

Thats my card, I had seen a 68 clemente box with no tabs slabbed first so I decided to purchase and send this aaron in for grading and it came back as such, the tabs were already cut off when I purchased it at a tri star houston show. They added the no tabs part as my submission just said complete box same as what the Clemente had shown.

Good luck,
    Scott
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Scott,

Sonja has offered to make sure it gets labeled correctly when I send it in the next time.

Be nice to see how PSA wants the cut cards so we know what to do when cutting.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    It is ridiculous that there is a specific registry item that actually requires the tabs to be cut off a complete box. How many variations of the same card are you expected to have for the registry? The card itself, complete box, complete box no tabs, 2-card panel?, 2-card panel plus Tipps?

I don't even understand how a complete box can be considered a complete box with any portion of it removed. That PSA 2 hacked up partial box on eBay is kind of a joke in that slab. To think that it is a registry item - the registry has just gone too far with this one.

Thank goodness I gave up on player collecting long ago. The absurdity of the requirements illustrates the blatant money grab by PSA, and the exploitation of the true purpose of the registry by a collector just looking to try to stir the pot of the others collecting the same set. I mean, a very tough legitimately-issued card is one thing, but a stupid variation that was never meant to be...
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A761506, I cannot argue with one single thing you said. The entire issue with the larger Bazooka boxes (1968 and 1971 for sure, maybe others) could have been avoided by just folding the "tabs" over, then holdering them, the boxes are flattened and twice as thick as a "panel" so folding the "tab" would not make the box any thicker and would then fit nicely in the holder and at the same time avoid having to damage a collectible.

I disputed at length with the PSA representative the reasoning behind cutting the box ends off as foolish and unnecessary. She took my agument to the powers that decide and was told, that was the way it was going to be. Now my decision is to further cut up a nice piece of memorabilia or leave a "hole" in my set. Or more ridiculously add yet another '68 Bazooka variation to the Killebrew registry.

There are already three items under 1968 Bazooka Killebrew Master; the single, side of box with Willie Horton and the box with tabs missing. Today I checked at least four other HOFers sets and most only contain the single.

I only have one set, the Harmon Killebrew Master, that I collect. I enjoy it and am not going to let this take the enjoyment out of it.

Still having fun collecting, but some days are better than others.image

Joe