Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Does such a card database exist?

Hi all -

I have no idea if I'm asking the impossible, the obvious, or something in between... so forgive my ignorance.

I was trying to track down (online if possible) as source from which to look up certain players, and what sets they have a card in. I'm not looking for modern, but more for the pre-war issues. Other than finding checklists or looking in price guides (where some might not be listed because they'd be commons), I was just wondering if there was another way to, say, look up someone who played in the 1920's an see what, if any, cards he has.

I'm asking because I work at a college, and over time I've picked up a few cards from players who played here... but it's always been while my son is looking at other things and I happen to notice one out of the corner of my eye. NOT the most scientific methods of searching, I assure you!

Thanks so much,
Frank

Comments

• Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    You can try vintagecardprices.com - if you're just looking for cards it is free.

As, footballcardgallery.com for football only.
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Beckett's online database is useful, and free.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is not going to be what you want to hear, but I would suggest picking up an older copy of the Sports Collectors Digest Baseball Card price guide.

The one I bought was issued in 1991 and lists over 750,000 cards by company going back to around 1900. The book lists all the cards including commons. Guide is organized alphabetically by company issuing the cards then by year. If you know the players name and the years he played, it works like a charm.

The book is not perfect, but it will be a reference that you can use for your kind of research that will work better than anything I can think of.

You could also search through this website, I am pretty sure you have to be a member to get all of the information you might need.

Good luck and have fun!

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Frank