Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Regrade and crossover

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone succeed in crossing over PCGS/NGC coins (at a higher grade) and/or sending in a slabbed coin to the same TPG service for regrade and it returning higher?

I have a few pieces I believe are somewhat undergraded and without cracking out I wonder if there is a shot at getting a higher grade. Otherwise not worth spending the money.

Comments

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post them here with your best scans - I'm sure the experts here will give you their unbiased opinion - I know I'll give you my untarnished, unvarnished jmho imageimage

In answer to your Q though I tried it many years ago with no change.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have gotten upgrades at PCGS via "Regrade" and "Crossover" (from NGC). These were US, and the crossover upgrade happened only once.

I've scored many times using crack out, US and world.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had success with crossing over at higher grades, or at lower grades that I thought were more appropriate for the coin. As a general rule of thumb, you want a higher grade (often undeserved) - send to NGC. I've had PCGS low AU's go AU58 at NGC quite a few times. From NGC to PCGS I only had 1 crossover that went higher and many that went lower, but in my opinion more appropriate for the grade. I guess after all these years I've learned the grading standard at both and adopted the stricter PCGS one for my personal collection. I have never done a re-grade at NGC. If I did not agree with the grade, I would resubmit raw with pretty good success rate.

Some of the examples:

1824 CAR 8 Reales NGC AU53 -> PCGS AU55
    1816 Durango 8R PCGS VG08 -> NGC VF25
    1814 Guadalajara 8R NGC AU55 -> PCGS XF45 (weak strike, but lustrous)
    1810 Mexico 8R NGC AU58 -> NGC AU58 -> NGC MS61 (all resubmitted raw)

NGC is also way more forgiving (or PCGS stricter) when it comes to hairlines. I've had a few coins over the years get bodybagged by PCGS for hairlines and then get graded by NGC.

At this point, if I buy NGC coins from images - I expect the coin to a)actually be a few points lower based on my standard (which is closer to PCGS); or b)be a problem coin. Not a good way of looking at it, but it works for me rather well.

At the end of the day, if you believe the coin is undergraded - crack it out and get it re-graded.

• Options
    Thanks 2K. Problem I am having is the tightening/relaxing of grades by both PCGS and NGC over the years. I have a couple of old slabs graded conservatively that I believe may have upside in today's grading standards. One PCGS and one is NGC.

The main question is if you believe the same grading service will reconsider/upgrade its own original rank.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks 2K. Problem I am having is the tightening/relaxing of grades by both PCGS and NGC over the years. I have a couple of old slabs graded conservatively that I believe may have upside in today's grading standards. One PCGS and one is NGC.

The main question is if you believe the same grading service will reconsider/upgrade its own original rank. >>

I do believe both PCGS and NGC would upgrade if the coin is undergraded by their current standard.
  • Options
    2K/EVP - both of you were correct. I sent in one PCGS crossover which they kept at the same grades.

The othdf 2 NGC regrades I sent in did well. I am happy.

(1719) AUSTRIA HALL DAV-1049 2T MS 61 - Charles VI double taler. 834 minted - upgraded from AU-58.
    1611 AUSTRIA HALL DAV-3009 TALER MS 62 - Rudolph II type upgraded from AU-58.

Will image once received.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stuff changed since I last tried - obviously image - what a packet of good news for you - I think we saw these two somewhere and most agreed they look way better.
  • Options
    Will reimage when I get them back in hand.

• Options
    AZLARRYAZLARRY Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Recently I've had a NGC graded coins cross at higher grade. A hard to find British 1829 Half Crown went from MS61 to MS62. I was very happy.
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Way to go, Zohar. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.