Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1981 Topps 101 Benny Ayala (Here is another scan of the 101 card)

Here's a picture of the Benny Ayala card in PSA 9
Tough card 1 of 1 no 10's

This is the new can with black behind it
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/scan11111.jpg/]image[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    Wow, nice work! That is a tough card in that set. Now you need to find the Glenn Adams in a 9.
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Next question...How the hell is that a 9? look at those bottom corners...Geez~!
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    SmokieSmokie Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    I just got it back from PSA on March 21, from what I can see it is not frosted. Unless its is my scanner, looking down on the card all the corners look the same to me unless I need to get my glasses checked or PSA need to check theirs.
  • Options
    Dave I sold my last 2 1975's of cello to Grote15 both were PSA 10's
  • Options
    LOVE IT!!!

Now lets see a Youngblood image
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    It's the scan.

Good for you.
  • Options
    All I have left is 2 1975 wax pack's PSA 5

I have alot of single PSA 8's and 9's of 1975
  • Options
    QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    whats a card like that sell for? I have 3 1980 sets and 3 1981 sets that I put together from packs as a kid...I have to find out what cards are the tough ones to find in high grade.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Next question...How the hell is that a 9? look at those bottom corners...Geez~! >>

I have to agree. I hope it is the scan. From the pick in the scan, I would have put this in my 'do not grade' stack. But I'm glad for smokie. This is by far the best centered example I've seen.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>whats a card like that sell for? I have 3 1980 sets and 3 1981 sets that I put together from packs as a kid...I have to find out what cards are the tough ones to find in high grade. >>

Good question. That's the first 9 and there are no 10s.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are not alone. The corners look terrible in the scan. I have to assume it is just a bad scan like others said.

Is there a big registry following for this set that would drive a common like this to the moon?

• Options
    There isn't a huge following for this set. I tried it for about two years and gave up since I hit a wall where I would have to buy a bunch of unopened to submit myself.

There are nine people over 50% and four over 90%. If two of the top dogs got into a bidding war on this, it might push it to a few hundred. I'm not sure if I see that happening.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    That's the first 9 and there are no 10s.

I gave away tens of thousands of 81 Topps a few years ago after I opened a bunch of boxes. I didn't realize they were tough so didn't look for them. Oh well, I am sure Goodwill threw them away anyway so if they were there they are gone now!
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have to agree. I hope it is the scan. From the pick in the scan, I would have put this in my 'do not grade' stack. But I'm glad for smokie. This is by far the best centered example I've seen. >>

The biggest problem with Ayala isn't centering. It's usually covered in black print marks. Which is the same problem with the Adams, BTW.

I've been looking for one of these for a long time.

Congrats Smokie

Someday collectors will realize how many condition rarities this set has. Probably more than 20 genuinely tough commons.

What keeps graded card prices low even on the low pops is that it is still very inexpensive to bust this product. Vending boxes are like $40, as are complete mint sets. So I think collectors are unwilling to pay too much when they can just bust and sort through as much raw as they want.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    UpdatEd scan looks much better. Congratulations on the 9. image

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474

<< <i>UpdatEd scan looks much better. Congratulations on the 9. image >>

Ditto!
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The card looks much better with that scan.

Sounds like a great add! Nicely done!

• Options
    I bought a rack case sealed just received it, I'll see if I can pull a Youngblood and a Glenn Adams in a 9