Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Some questions about gold Ancients...

There is someone locally who inherited a large antiques and coin collection. They have a lot of genric old world gold, but also a few Ancients.
I know nothing about ancient gold, but based on the horrible pictures I could get from them, what do you think? Authentic? In hand is there a solid way to tell if I have a fake or no?
Also, what kind of value would be here? I'd love to get them if they are real, but I have no idea what stuff like this goes for. I appreciate any help! Thanks

Comments

• Options
    I was once at a show and a dealer showed me a Alexander gold stater....

An almost perfect fake that was cast in 18k gold using the "lost wax" process years ago.

According to his story, he bought a very expensive gold bracelet made by Cartier that was all authentic Greek gold staters. He had the authentic coins removed, perfect fakes cast and put in its place, and kept the originals.

He then sold the bracelet for a good profit - I hope he told the buyer that the coins were swapped....

But I doubt it..

I almost bought the one cast copy for gold price - but passed.

I don't know too much about these coins but from your pictures they look a little iffy to me.

-Kev
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the pictures they look to be OK. Both are ancient greek and on average they go for $2000+ or more each.

It looks like they have been store in PVC flips, it would be important to put them in a acetone bath. Another thing is to get the weight of the coins if possible.

I
  • Options

<< <i>I was once at a show and a dealer showed me a Alexander gold stater....

An almost perfect fake that was cast in 18k gold using the "lost wax" process years ago.

According to his story, he bought a very expensive gold bracelet made by Cartier that was all authentic Greek gold staters. He had the authentic coins removed, perfect fakes cast and put in its place, and kept the originals.

He then sold the bracelet for a good profit - I hope he told the buyer that the coins were swapped....

But I doubt it..

I don't know too much about these coins but from your pictures they look a little iffy to me.

-Kev >>

Interesting...image
  • Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>From the pictures they look to be OK. Both are ancient greek and on average they go for $2000+ or more each.

It looks like they have been store in PVC flips, it would be important to put them in a acetone bath. Another thing is to get the weight of the coins if possible.

I >>

Other than weight, if I have them in hand are there any obvious signs that would say "run"?
    Thanks guys!

• Options

<< <i>I was once at a show and a dealer showed me a Alexander gold stater....

But I doubt it..

-Kev >>

That would be one cool bracelet!
  • Options
    I specialize in roman empresses, not greeks. Send a PM to determined or CIVITAS

They know more about greeks then I. Honestly its gonna be hard to tell with those size photos.
  • Options
    I posted this on another messageboard along with the photos, I will let you know if anything is new info wise.
  • Options

<< <i>I posted this on another messageboard along with the photos, I will let you know if anything is new info wise. >>

Thanks! I appreciate it.
    I also sent a pm to CIVITAS

Sorry the pictures are so horrible...
  • Options
    Well I have gotten a few replies and its what I expected, need better photos.

<< <i>ask for close up photos of reverse and obverse for each coin outside the plastic sleeve. Also he should insist on weights and size.

Since these are commonly faked and not inexpensive, I would recommend not buying anything without first satisfying those prerequisites.[ >>

• Options

<< <i>Well I have gotten a few replies and its what I expected, need better photos.

<< <i>ask for close up photos of reverse and obverse for each coin outside the plastic sleeve. Also he should insist on weights and size.

Since these are commonly faked and not inexpensive, I would recommend not buying anything without first satisfying those prerequisites.[ >>

>>

Thanks!
    I will try and get those.
    I just don't want to lose the opportunity to get these because I have a feeling I'm not the only one interested.

• Options
    Oh thats understandable, plus if you can get them at a decent price.

If you get anymore photos & Civitas cant authenticate them with the current pics, I will try again.

Close up pics and weight is a must though. Higher Quality pics, the better.
  • Options
    DeiGratiaDeiGratia Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Other than weight, if I have them in hand are there any obvious signs that would say "run"?
    Thanks guys! >>

If you start to see it peel and there is chocolate in the middle.
    RUN
  • Options
    DeiGratiaDeiGratia Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    Either way, real or unreal, they sure are beautiful.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    I should preference my comments that I have at best only basic knowledge of Greek coinage. They certainly look pretty, but I wasn't aware of an Athenian "owl" in gold (2nd pic). Finally remembered to check my Sear Greek reference this am and didn't see one listed so that coin at least seems very suspect and maybe some sort of fantasy. The last pic is the reverse of what is supposed to be a quarter stater of Alexander. The arrangement of the legend doesn't agree with my reference, but the reference I have is just a summary and is not definitive on all of the varieties. Checked the wildwinds site as well without finding a listing for either.

The 3 staters are relatively common (Philip and 2 Alexanders) but hard to tell if they're real from the scans altho the 4th piece looks a bit flat compared to the few pieces I've handled. I'd certainly get better pix and weights before you commit any money to these.

Good luck and remember, caveat emptor!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Other than weight, if I have them in hand are there any obvious signs that would say "run"?
    Thanks guys! >>

If you start to see it peel and there is chocolate in the middle.
    RUN >>

Actually, I would love some ancient "restrikes" in chocolate like they do with some modern coins image I think there would be a sizable market, especially if the designs are enlarged to a satisfying size. Ancient coins and chocolate... you can't get much better than that!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection