Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How do you ship coins to Australia

I just went through a hassle at my local PO as they told me I could not ship coins or silver to Australia. How do you get insure Coins or valuables over $400USD to that continent.image

Comments

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    your PO is full of it..
    You can ship coins to Australia.
    BUT insurance will NOT cover coins.
    Only private insurance might cover.
    If paid with Paypal, they might.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    I shipped dozens of coins, banknotes and pocket-watches to Australia, signed for.
    everything arrived safely, just my 2cents.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Great, I'll just ignore them and send the coins. Anyone use UPS or DHL for delivery to Australia??
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    USPS info on many international restrictions is inaccurate. Australia does not prohibit the importation of numismatic items. I asked the customs department in Australia and they told me so.
  • Options
    I have had many coins, banknotes, etc shipped here with no hassles.

The only real frustrating thing is when I find something on ebay I really want, and the seller refuses to ship outside of the US. They won't even discuss it.
  • Options
    DeiGratiaDeiGratia Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    I just shipped an 8 Reale to Australia.
    I put it in a package, shipped it off as Registered USPS.

The clerk asked what was in it, and I said Numismatics, he looked at me with a blank stare, lol.
    Put an insurance value on it and off it went.

No problems whatsoever.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In case of a Claim for loss or damage, the USPS , nor any other Insurance, unless specifically taken out to cover coins etc, will NOT pay on a overseas shipment.!!
    save your money.!!!
    AND it is not anyone's business what is inside the envelope or wrapping.
    A declaration of Numismatic item is perfectly fine. Never mention coin , money or token!
    when you make your declaration you already sign for that the item does not contain prohibited items for sending.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>In case of a Claim for loss or damage, the USPS , nor any other Insurance, unless specifically taken out to cover coins etc, will NOT pay on a overseas shipment.!! >>

Registered mail will up to a certain amount (around $50).
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    call it "numismatica" a Collectible orb of the finest materials.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I list almost all my overseas shipments of little round metal disks as Exonumia! KNOCK ON WOOD! Has always worked for me.