Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

"prices firm" question........

when a person on the b/s/t board asks a price and states "prices firm" does it seem a bit ridiculous when a day later they are begging you to make a counter offer ?? just asking as a point of conversation....
always looking for 1969 graded basketball

Comments

• Options
    DerekDDerekD Posts: 388 ✭✭
    My favorite is "Last time lowering price" and it happens again and again. Also like "Last time before (moving to ebay) or (keeping it)" and it never goes away.
  • Options
    ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Maybe after careful introspection and receiving no "hits", they simply change their mind.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    If you have sold things on these boards, then you would understand. I've never put "prices firm", but I can understand it. Four years ago I had three PSA Mantles for sale: 1955 Bowman PSA 5, 1962 Topps PSA 6, 1963 Topps PSA 6. I put prices that were about the average VCP. I got offers of 25-40% VCP with people telling me they were doing me a "favor" by taking all three of them off of my hands in one sale. I imagine that the "prices firm" are to keep offers like this from rolling in.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    As a buyer, I take 'prices firm' on the B/S/T to mean exactly that. Unless or until the seller changes that stance, if I don't want to pay their price I do not contact them about the item.

To answer the OP's question, yes that does seem ridiculous- particularly so soon in the game.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    I will still sometimes make an offer....but it will be real close to the price. Or sometimes inquire about 2 items to get a deal.
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Let me explain from a sellers perspective...As Sam (powdered H20) stated, if you have sold on the boards a lot you would propbably understand why this might happen. For example, I listed my vintage football collection with sell prices with most being pretty reasonable.....most around VCP average. Then I started receiving pm's from people offering ridiculously low prices...$50 bucks on a VCP average $300 card etc. So I then got frustrated and adjusted my prices a little and stated prices as firm to get rid of the ridiculous lowball offers. Once they lowball offers stopped, I removed the prices as firm statement. I have sold $6 grand in cards in the past month. The sales were pretty brisk. Now that the sales have slowed a little, I put a statement on my posting stating "make me an offer" to stimulate interest and sales.

• Options
    I don't use the word firm but when people do offer you 800.00 dollars for cards worth over 2,000.00 you tend to get a little ticked to say the least. I go by average prices and then reduce them by 15 percent or more. Basically what e-bay and paypal would take if sold there. Most people are just trying to pass the savings to other collectors. So if you would have won an auction for say 2,000 then wouldn't you rather pay 1700.00 ?
    I really don't see the big deal here. It's there cards and they can put whatever they want. If you don't like there price or how they listed it, then move on. Most people who list on the B/S/T boards list there cards very reasonable.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    Die Hard Toronto Maple Leafs Fan !!
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    I use this regularly to ward off low ballers. Nothing against them, but I'm not interested in their offer. Sometimes I get my price here; sometimes I have to get it (at a slight markup) on eBay.

I really don't care for the "best offer" when I've explicitly stated "price firm." But it happens, so I roll with it and just say "no thanks."

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    firm boobs good, firm card prices bad.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    For similar reasons I will not sell cards on these boards. Way to may low ballers. Especially if your card is high end for the grade.
    many seller are also way overboard on prices. If I can buy a card all day on ebay for $100 and get 'protection' and use a gift card I can get a
    kick back on ( a grocery store here allows gift card purchases toward a gas card....$50 gets u .10 off a gallon). Why would I buy off ebay?
    prices neeed to be reasonable fior the card and a better deal than ebay.

Many on these boards understand that. Its a way to sell that benefits both parties. no fees and a little better price.

I can't say if things sell or not but many on ebay are selling at 2x or 3x vcp for bin's (usually for very nice high end cards).
    That should help selling on these boards.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets