Home Sports Talk
Options

Most likely player to break Bonds career HR record?

I say nobody. Not Arod or Pujols. I just don't think It's going to happen for at least another 40 or 50 years, if ever.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the juiced record, hmmm. I like to think that Aaron's record stands, since he did it without PEDs
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Arod has really slowed down since the juice news came out. Pujols is getting old very quick. Neither one of these 2 will make it. It's a slightly bogus record now anyways. Arod is young enough...but his power production is way down.
  • Options
    jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    curtis granderson
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I always thought Pujols would eventually if not A-Rod. I don't know if A-Rod has enough in the tank to make a run and if this season so far is an accurate indicator it appears Pujols has declined a lot in a short amount of time. Worse for the Angels they still have Pujols for another 8 years.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seriously doubt anyone ever will unless steroids become legal or undetectable.
  • Options
    Aaron and Ruth and nobody is close. Willie is 95 behind Aaron. Steroids really hurt the history of the game. I think when Arod passes Willie at 660 I will be sick. The most hallowed record in all of sports and it's completely tainted....Not good.image
  • Options

<< <i> The most hallowed record in all of sports and it's completely tainted....Not good.image >>

Its not good but Id be lying if I said that I didnt enjoy 1998, watching McGwire that year was by far the most exciting season in all of sports. I remember me and a few buddies watching sportcenter everynight and really enjoying the Sosa, Griffey and Mcgwire HR chase. The Bonds chase was fun too but for some reason not as fun as 1998.

Looking back its kind of funny that we didnt even mention steroids but I will tell ya this much regardless of the facts now I wouldnt trade that year in for a clean slate because it was a fun time!
  • Options
    Perkdog,
    In 1998....the most hallowed record in all of sports did not go down. The single season record is something I can live with. Bonds also holds that. It's the career record that makes me sick.

And yes...1998 was exciting watching Sosa and McGwire. The problem with all of this is that we have to almost void all of this out of our mind because none of them are getting in the HOF. The writers have already made the statement. They hated Bonds before he was breaking any records.
  • Options

<< <i>Perkdog,
    In 1998....the most hallowed record in all of sports did not go down. The single season record is something I can live with. Bonds also holds that. It's the career record that makes me sick.

And yes...1998 was exciting watching Sosa and McGwire. The problem with all of this is that we have to almost void all of this out of our mind because none of them are getting in the HOF. The writers have already made the statement. They hated Bonds before he was breaking any records. >>

Oh I agree, the topic just got me thinking about 1998 and Im with you all the way, the career mark is the most coveted record and sadly it is forever tainted.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pujols has a chance, he needs to average 40 a year for the next 8 years, but he needs two or three years in the high 40's so that as his numbers decline he doesn't have to maintain that pace.

Any major injury will make it almost impossible. Being in the AL should help if he can continue some productivity at DH.

I hope he does it.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Bryce Harper
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Bryce Harper >>

It's not his birthday, is it?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I'm going to say Hank Aaron. My hope is that somehow, someway (I know, 0% chance, but I can still hope) there is some sort of extreme evidence that disqualifies all of Bonds, McGwire, and the steroid users' records (Hey, they retroactively strip Olympic athletes of their records years later). Then, Roger Maris and Hank Aaron get the records back that belong to them.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    PowderedH20,
    Your dream is possible. Not likely; but possible. Baseball has a problem as none of these guys are getting in the hall of fame and they have some of the biggest stats. At some point baseball may rid the record books of their #'s. If they got rid of Bonds, McGwire and Sosa's stuff....they would be in much better shape. How does anyone explain any of this to their kids? It's a shame. Henry Aaron was very classy during Bonds' stealing of the HR record.
  • Options

<< <i>Henry Aaron was very classy during Bonds' stealing of the HR record. >>

Ha! That's what you think! image
    link
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Henry Aaron was very classy during Bonds' stealing of the HR record. >>

Ha! That's what you think! image
    link >>

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Oh, if Hank would have actually laid down the Hammer like that not a single true baseball fan would have complained.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    The record will not be broken until another undetectable super-duper chemical is developed.

Sad to see that whole era wiped out - there were some nice inserts through those years! image
  • Options

<< <i>Pujols has a chance, he needs to average 40 a year for the next 8 years, but he needs two or three years in the high 40's so that as his numbers decline he doesn't have to maintain that pace.

Any major injury will make it almost impossible. Being in the AL should help if he can continue some productivity at DH.

I hope he does it.

Joe >>

What your saying is an absolute stretch and Im not being argumentive towards you Im just thinking it will be very difficult for him to keep any pace of 40 ish hrs, Im thinking Pujols ( along with Griffey and Ripken ) somehow avoided getting caught using PEDS.
  • Options
    mgugs46mgugs46 Posts: 217 ✭✭
    PEDS have been part of the game for a long, long, long time - are a part of it now - and will continue to be for a long, long, long time
    Looking for PSA HOF autos, PSA Vintage Red Sox and Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>

<< <i>Pujols has a chance, he needs to average 40 a year for the next 8 years, but he needs two or three years in the high 40's so that as his numbers decline he doesn't have to maintain that pace.

I hope he does it.

Joe >>

What your saying is an absolute stretch and Im not being argumentive towards you Im just thinking it will be very difficult for him to keep any pace of 40 ish hrs, Im thinking Pujols ( along with Griffey and Ripken ) somehow avoided getting caught using PEDS. >>

So, Jr and Cal were juicers too? I'm glad I put down my coffee before reading that madness. Don't forget to add Frank Thomas to the list too then.
  • Options
    Perkdog. It's obviously a stretch.

As I said, several things would have to happen. He would have to have at least two, possibly three big years (in a new, unfamiliar league) would have to stay healthy, and also remain productive in his "old man" years. Odds are against all three of these happening.

He is the youngest (by far) of the players in the chase, and despite rumors, he has not tested positive for PEDs.

I would say that, in answer to the OP's question, he is the most likely to break the record. Can you name a player who has a better chance?

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    mgugs46mgugs46 Posts: 217 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I hope he does it.

Joe >>

What your saying is an absolute stretch and Im not being argumentive towards you Im just thinking it will be very difficult for him to keep any pace of 40 ish hrs, Im thinking Pujols ( along with Griffey and Ripken ) somehow avoided getting caught using PEDS. >>

So, Jr and Cal were juicers too? I'm glad I put down my coffee before reading that madness. Don't forget to add Frank Thomas to the list too then. >>

Sadly you never know.
    Looking for PSA HOF autos, PSA Vintage Red Sox and Pedro Martinez
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I hope he does it.

Joe >>

So, Jr and Cal were juicers too? I'm glad I put down my coffee before reading that madness. Don't forget to add Frank Thomas to the list too then. >>

If you were going to spit your coffee all over your keypad by reading that then Im adding you to my list of people who are naive.

I say naive because if anyone is foolish enough to think that its madness to suggest they might have been dirty is being naive, Im not certain ofcourse but its my opinion they were. And yes I will add Frank Thomas to my list, thanks for reminding me.
  • Options

<< <i>Perkdog. It's obviously a stretch.

As I said, several things would have to happen. He would have to have at least two, possibly three big years (in a new, unfamiliar league) would have to stay healthy, and also remain productive in his "old man" years. Odds are against all three of these happening.

He is the youngest (by far) of the players in the chase, and despite rumors, he has not tested positive for PEDs.

I would say that, in answer to the OP's question, he is the most likely to break the record. Can you name a player who has a better chance?

Joe >>

I certainly wasnt aware he was the youngest.

Well if it happens and he never gets caught using ( or he is clean ) then Im all for him doing it, it would be nice to get the record back on a clean slate!
  • Options
    Here's the age/HR of the top 6. Arod looked like he had a great shot, but he hasn't hit many lately, only 16 in 99 games last year. Since he was a juicer, I don't count any of his records.

ARod 36/632
    Thome 41/604
    ManRam 40/555
    Chipper 40/456
    Vlad 37/449
    Albert 32/445

I have heard people say this is not an accurate age for Pujols, but I can only go by what is listed. I hope he is clean.

The more I look at it, the less likely I think he will catch Bonds.

Joe

edited to add; If Pujols averages 45 HR for the next 4 years and 35 HR for the next 4, he will be at 765, beating Bonds by 3. GO ALBERT!!!!image
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Im not certain ofcourse but its my opinion they were. >>

Cal Ripken Jr.:
    1981 = 6'-4" 200 lbs.
    2001 = 6'-4" 220 lbs.

Ken Griffey Jr.:
    1989 = 6'-3" 195 lbs.
    2010 = 6'-3" 230 lbs.

Albert Pujols:
    2001 = 6'-3" 210 lbs.
    2012 = 6'-3" 230 lbs.

David Ortiz:
    1997 = 6'-4" 190 lbs.
    2012 = 6'-4" 230 lbs.

Barry Bonds:
    1986 = 6'-1" 185 lbs.
    2007 = 6'-2" 230 lbs.

Mark McGwire:
    1987 = 6'-5" 215 lbs.
    2001 = 6'-5" 250 lbs.

Roger Clemens:
    1985 = 6'-4" 205 lbs.
    2007 = 6'-4" 235 lbs.

Jose Canseco:
    1985 = 6'-3" 210 lbs.
    2001 = 6'-4" 240 lbs.
  • Options

<< <i>If Pujols averages 45 HR for the next 4 years and 35 HR for the next 4, he will be at 765, beating Bonds by 3. GO ALBERT!!!!image >>

That would make him 46 years old (since he's 38 right now... you'll see), and as it is right now, he can't crack an egg at the plate. He won't even make it to 500. Mark it dude...
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PEDS have been part of the game for a long, long, long time - are a part of it now - and will continue to be for a long, long, long time >>

I'm going to politely disagree. They were part of the game for a very short time and are not widely part of the game today.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Im not certain ofcourse but its my opinion they were. >>

Cal Ripken Jr.:
    1981 = 6'-4" 200 lbs.
    2001 = 6'-4" 220 lbs.

Ken Griffey Jr.:
    1989 = 6'-3" 195 lbs.
    2010 = 6'-3" 230 lbs.

Albert Pujols:
    2001 = 6'-3" 210 lbs.
    2012 = 6'-3" 230 lbs.

David Ortiz:
    1997 = 6'-4" 190 lbs.
    2012 = 6'-4" 230 lbs.

Barry Bonds:
    1986 = 6'-1" 185 lbs.
    2007 = 6'-2" 230 lbs.

Mark McGwire:
    1987 = 6'-5" 215 lbs.
    2001 = 6'-5" 250 lbs.

Roger Clemens:
    1985 = 6'-4" 205 lbs.
    2007 = 6'-4" 235 lbs.

Jose Canseco:
    1985 = 6'-3" 210 lbs.
    2001 = 6'-4" 240 lbs. >>

Mcadams:
    1999: 195
    2012: 220

are you accusing me too?
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>PEDS have been part of the game for a long, long, long time - are a part of it now - and will continue to be for a long, long, long time >>

I'm going to politely disagree. They were part of the game for a very short time and are not widely part of the game today. >>

"Very short time" compared to what? Eternity? History of Steroids

Shortly after development, AAS were adapted for a variety of purposes including the increase of aggression in Nazi soldiers, elite-level athletics in the1950’s, and the very specific production for weightlifting athletes. However, by the 1960’s several major sporting organizations had already banned their use, and initiated extensive drug testing policies. In the mid 1990’s, the first Anabolic Steroid Control Act was passed under President George Bush. A decade later congressional hearings were held to curtail the growing AAS problem in athletics. By this time, every major reputable sporting organization from the high school level through the professional ranks had followed suit with anti-AAS regulations and testing policies.

So you're saying you don't think players were using them in the 50s or 60s?
  • Options

<< <i>
    Mcadams:

are you accusing me too? >>

I'm just showing the glaring difference between obvious non-users to obvious users.

Now that you put it that way, maybe I'm on the juice too... au jus! lol

Jeff Colburn (me):
    1995 = 6'-4" 240 lbs. (age 18)
    2012 = 6'-5" 300 lbs.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Mcadams:

are you accusing me too? >>

I'm just showing the glaring difference between obvious non-users to obvious users.

Now that you put it that way, maybe I'm on the juice too... au jus! lol

Jeff Colburn (me):
    1995 = 6'-4" 240 lbs. (age 18)
    2012 = 6'-5" 300 lbs.

image >>

Its ok Jeff, all those HR were worth it. Oh wait....

• Options

<< <i>

Its ok Jeff, all those HR were worth it. Oh wait.... >>

The Grand Slams were worth it! (Grand Slam Breakfasts) image
  • Options
    How do you come up with 38 for Pujols?

If you are right, no way he comes anywhere near Bonds tainted record.

Joe
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>How do you come up with 38 for Pujols? >>

You're right... I've never heard of players from the Dominican Republic lying about their age before.
  • Options
    MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> The most hallowed record in all of sports and it's completely tainted....Not good.image >>

Its not good but Id be lying if I said that I didnt enjoy 1998, watching McGwire that year was by far the most exciting season in all of sports. I remember me and a few buddies watching sportcenter everynight and really enjoying the Sosa, Griffey and Mcgwire HR chase. The Bonds chase was fun too but for some reason not as fun as 1998.

Looking back its kind of funny that we didnt even mention steroids but I will tell ya this much regardless of the facts now I wouldnt trade that year in for a clean slate because it was a fun time! >>

and Bud Selig basked in it all. If I ever meet him on the street, I am going to sock him in the mouth. He was so short sighted and lived for the now moment instead of doing what was right.
  • Options
    Yes Jeff everbody lies. When Pedro Oliva came to the U.S. from Cuba, he used his brother Tony's identification because of the problems getting out of Cuba, so we found out later he was not the correct age.

Where are you coming up with 38? Why would it take so long for him to make the Majors?

If you are making these kind of statements, how about a little explanation of why you are making them?

I am not saying he is 32, but that's what it says on the internet (yes, I know the internet lies as well). Please educate.

Joe
  • Options

<< <i>Yes Jeff everbody lies. When Pedro Oliva came to the U.S. from Cuba, he used his brother Tony's identification because of the problems getting out of Cuba, so we found out later he was not the correct age.

Where are you coming up with 38? Why would it take so long for him to make the Majors?

If you are making these kind of statements, how about a little explanation of why you are making them?

I am not saying he is 32, but that's what it says on the internet (yes, I know the internet lies as well). Please educate.

Joe >>

I'm using as many facts as perkdog is using when he says Ripken and Griffey were on PEDS.
  • Options
    Griffey's weight at the end was nothing but fat. It was sad to see that last half of a year. Not 1 HR.image
  • Options
    Thanks that clears it up, he's 38!

Joe