Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The Official 1933 Goudey Thread

I've seen this discussed in random threads, but have not seen a devoted one. I am just starting the set. Feel free to share your stories/pictures/etc. on the set.

Comments

• Also, thought I would start my collection with a splash. My $994 bid was outbid immediately on #181: Babe Ruth
  • paleocardspaleocards Posts: 922 ✭✭✭✭
    OK, I'll play. Here are my '33 Goudey HOFers:

imageimageimage
  • ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    I really like this set. I only have 2 but will add more someday. The two at the top of my wantlist are #29 Foxx and Left Grove. Good luck on your quest.

imageimage
  • The '14 CJ and '33 Goudey are two of my favorite sets. Here are some of my Goudeys:

imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
  • ABellPharmDABellPharmD Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    I've also decided to start this set recently. I've been working on a T206 but am getting bored and thought I'd mix in some 33 Goudey as I go along. I guess I can't just have one focus. The Monster is so big that I liked the fact that the Goudey set is like half the cards. I was wondering how the original poster was making out? I see you also collect Cracker Jacks as well. Good luck on your set.
    I collect Cal Ripken cards, T206, E95, E210, R319.
  • Here is my solo 33 Goudey. Haven't been focusing on the set, but might pick it up again.
  • Heres my only one, but a big one at that.

Foo3112,

That's a beautiful Ruth. How many 91 Topps Canseco's would it take to work a trade?

• MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    Awesome thread! I started a few years back a thread on my 1933 Goudey set:

My 1933 Goudey Set

I just updated my thread with a few more scans.

I really enjoy this set as it is one of my all time favorites. For being almost 90 years old, it is, relatively speaking, affordable (if we are to exclude the Lajoie) and a manageable size. Its size alone makes it an ideal candidate for collecting entirely slabbed. By comparison, my last major undertaking was a 1971 Topps baseball set. While that journey was fun, it was long and rather laborious given the size of the set and condition sensitivity of the issue. After tackling that task, I vowed never again to collect a slabbed set of such a size. The 1933 Goudey set is a comfortable 239 cards (again excluding the Lajoie).

I find it also nice as well that I really do not have to worry too much about condition. For my set, I am trying to put it together with a total GPA of at least 3.0. Such is doable and the selection of material in that grade range is pretty good. Sure, like any other issue, eBay is chalk full of buy it now cards that seem a little pricey for even the lower grades. However, having a bit of patient and going predominately the auction route whenever possible, I have been able to pick up a few very affordable examples.

I will enjoy following this thread and reading what others have to say about their set efforts. It is, again, a fantastic set and in my opinion, a great keepsake once finished!

Matt
    Here are 2 recent pick-ups.

Anyone have any recent pickups? I'm trying to grab 1 card a month right now. This really is a beautiful set to look at. The variations in color is pretty sweet. I just picked up John Ogden (Baltimore Orioles) to celebrate Jonathan Ogden (Baltimore Ravens) getting inducted to the NFL HOF. I'll upload a scan later.

<< <i>Anyone have any recent pickups? I'm trying to grab 1 card a month right now. This really is a beautiful set to look at. The variations in color is pretty sweet. I just picked up John Ogden (Baltimore Orioles) to celebrate Jonathan Ogden (Baltimore Ravens) getting inducted to the NFL HOF. I'll upload a scan later. >>

• mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Awesome thread! I started a few years back a thread on my 1933 Goudey set:

My 1933 Goudey Set

I just updated my thread with a few more scans.

I really enjoy this set as it is one of my all time favorites. For being almost 90 years old, it is, relatively speaking, affordable (if we are to exclude the Lajoie) and a manageable size. Its size alone makes it an ideal candidate for collecting entirely slabbed. By comparison, my last major undertaking was a 1971 Topps baseball set. While that journey was fun, it was long and rather laborious given the size of the set and condition sensitivity of the issue. After tackling that task, I vowed never again to collect a slabbed set of such a size. The 1933 Goudey set is a comfortable 239 cards (again excluding the Lajoie).

I find it also nice as well that I really do not have to worry too much about condition. For my set, I am trying to put it together with a total GPA of at least 3.0. Such is doable and the selection of material in that grade range is pretty good. Sure, like any other issue, eBay is chalk full of buy it now cards that seem a little pricey for even the lower grades. However, having a bit of patient and going predominately the auction route whenever possible, I have been able to pick up a few very affordable examples.

I will enjoy following this thread and reading what others have to say about their set efforts. It is, again, a fantastic set and in my opinion, a great keepsake once finished!

Matt >>

Is it generally acceptable to collect this set minus the Lajoie, or do you all plan on acquiring one at some point?
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Can anyone answer a question for a 33 Goudey noob? I understand the low pop of Lajoie, but when I looked at the Pop reports there are 9 psa9 Lajoies...how is this possible? Is there an interesting story behind this?
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
    I plan on being happy with 239, as that is all that was produced in 1933. I consider the Lajoie part of the 34 set. I may still try to grab one in a low grade just to round it out someday, but it doesn't have great importance to me with this set.

The thing to remember about the Lajoie was that it was only distributed through special request, or basically complaint letters. As a result, it never went through the packaging system that most Goudey's did. In addition, because it was requested special, the owner's of these cards undoubtedly took better care of them compared to the standard Goudey's. I would assume that is why you see some higher graded ones. I don't know if there was a find somewhere with a company employee who may have stockpiled them. Thatcould also explain the higher conditioned cards in the population.
    While I would certainly enjoy rounding out my set with a Lajoie, I will consider mine complete minus the Lajoie. I have many years of hunting left just to finish the rest of my set. My target is an overall average of at least 3.0. Considering there are four Ruths and two Gehrigs that are pricey even in the PSA 1 condition, I'll need to pickup some points with better specimens elsewhere to make up for those heavy hitters. Fortunately I have two of the Ruths already.

On the Lajoie, with it being a mail in, I can only assume there were some factory leftovers that now reside in 9 holders. That would seem to make sense. I doubt there was an overwhelming number of people with the tenacity to request the card and for what demand was there, surely some overstock existed. If memory serves, the Lajoie actually came out in '34 and was actually found on a sheet with the 34s (again that is my recollection).

This remains a fun thread.

Matt
    One more down. Only 200+ to go.

Does anyone own the 1933 edition of Who's Who in Major League Baseball? I was thinking of picking up a copy as a companion to my Goudey's. Are all of the players in the set in the book?
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can anyone answer a question for a 33 Goudey noob? I understand the low pop of Lajoie, but when I looked at the Pop reports there are 9 psa9 Lajoies...how is this possible? Is there an interesting story behind this? >>

As mentioned in a couple of posts, the Lajoie card resulted from customers writing to Goudey and complaining. Basically, collectors wrote to the company, complaining that they could not find a card #106, regardless of how many packs they bought. As a result, Goudey printed the Lajoie #106 with their high-number series of 1934 Goudeys (a sheet is known with the Lajoie on it). Since theoretically, only people trying to complete the 1933 set would have been looking for the #106, they were undoubtedly more inclined to keep the card in the best condition; that is likely the reason the vast majority of Lajoies are found in high grade. I do remember seeing though, a Lajoie in I think a PSA 1 or 2 holder due to numerous creases. The card appears to have been wrapped around a pencil, as the creases are all parallel and horizontal from top to bottom of the card.

Interestingly, one example of Leo Durocher's 1933 card, with #106, has been found and authenticated.

Another note. There was a sheet of 1934 Goudeys with Lajoie on it, owned by Charlie Sheen, that was stolen from a Planet Hollywood. When it was found, the Lajoie had been removed from it.

Here's a picture of the sheet:

Steve
    My latest addition to my Goudey set

Nice pickup!

I am mildly surprised at time how some 6s in this issue can be picked up for a very reasonable amount. While the goal on my set is a meager 3.0 GPA, I have a hard time passing up value 6s. A very nice card!

Matt
    Thanks Mefer!

I'm trying to build my set in straight 6s. The low numbered cards carry some $ weight for sure. It's not my main focus so I've been picking up about one a month. The prices are really down compared to SMR (not surprising). It's a classic set that often gets forgotten in the midst of the T206 and 52 Topps crowds. I think that helps too. I recently won one of the Big 6 in an auction so I'll probably be done with the Goudeys for a little while, until my card budget recovers.
    Like Ice Cube said, "Today was a good day"

Some recent additions
  • paleocardspaleocards Posts: 922 ✭✭✭✭
    Here are the five HOFers I picked-up at the National:

imageimage

imageimage

And the biggie:

• Got my first 33 Goudey a week ago! It was a Sam Jones who pitched for 22 years and was on the Yankees first World Series team. Yet the age old question is..when collecting a set...do you go for the high end big names first (Ruth, Gehrig, etc) or just slowly build up with commons and reach for a star HOF every now and then? Any thoughts on your strategy? Also, hey ABellPharmD, Im a pharmacist too.
    Dmaybee- I grab some commons and occasionally reach for a big time HOF on occasion. If I wait until the end to go for the Big 6, I'll be bored, but I'll save one of the Ruths or Gehrigs for next to last and obviously leave the Lajoie last. I'm collecting 239 and might possibly get a Lajoie one day, but don't consider it necessary to complete the 1933 set. I think you need to get him if you're building the 1934 one though.

Here's my newest addition:

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely blazing cards! Not sure Ive seen better looking mid grade cards like these.
    Just picked up 2 more.

• I have been working on this set nice cards. I am doing in the 3 or 4 grade.