Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Newp's (Sorta) 1775 Mo 8 Reales and 1773 Mo 2 Reales

So, as you might be able to tell from my previous posts, I tend to stick to Germany with my coin collecting habits. Maybe it's having seen so many pictures of these things, or maybe I just need to branch out, but I picked up these two pieces in an interesting fashion. A friend of mine gave them to me in a transaction where I gave him some scrap gold. I basically paid a certain amount for both, well below book value, which I will reserve until later. Having never collected these, let me know what your thoughts, comments, concerns, or grade and condition guesses are. I'm sort of in the dark, but these were too cheap not to pick up. They are both genuine silver, confirmed by testing equipment.

1. 1775 Mo FM 8 Reales, 26.6 grams (KM# 106.2?)

2. 1773 Mo FM 2 Reales, 6.2 grams (KM# 88.2?)

Yes, I do sell on Ebay

Feel free to ask for my BST references!

*I reserve the right to change the direction of my collection at whiplash-inducing speeds.

Comments

• Options
    RickeRicke Posts: 677
    cleaned/polished about fine?

maybe VF on the 8R

Neat coins, really. I like the colonial bust.
  • Options
    The 8R is shinier than I would have liked. It doesn't have tool or brushmarks on it, though, so I'm assuming if anything it has been dipped. I might try the taco bell napkin trick to get back some color to it.
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

*I reserve the right to change the direction of my collection at whiplash-inducing speeds.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 8 Reales has definitely been dipped-out. I know you got a good deal on it, but for a type collection I would spend $150-$175 and pick-up a nice, originally-skinned VF35-XF45. If you want, as I look through my auctions, I can keep an eye out for you. Taco bell napkin would help, but it would take another year for toning to start appearing enough to make a difference.
  • Options
    What would you say the FMV is for the 8R, 2K -- in its current state (F/VF Details?)?
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What would you say the FMV is for the 8R, 2K -- in its current state (F/VF Details?)? >>

I would price it at around $100.
  • Options
    Wow, that is good to hear! I paid $75 for the two. Seller had them mislabeled as from the Lima mint, but otherwise I trust this guy's judgment, and he confirmed they were real silver, which was enough for me to take a chance.

I would like you to look out for something in that price range. I could really get into these guys -- and I think I'd be like you, in that I'd prefer more crusty than clean white.
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay