Home Sports Talk
Options

This is very disturbing. What should the NFL do ?

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is nothing they can do, the game is what it is- a vicious hard hitting game and guys are going to get hurt.

Personally I dont think the NFL is to blame for a 62 year old guy killing himself, and I also dont believe it has anything to do with injuries he got during his career.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I would venture to say that if you took a look at all of the suicides of men aged 45-75 in the United States over a ten year period, you would find that job/money issues is one of the top causes. Health issues would be another high cause. Isn't that the issue that these former NFL players have? I am sorry that these things happened, but it is the nature of the business. It would be like Jack Hanna getting killed by lions at the San Diego Zoo, and then his family suing the zoo. If you play with lions, you have a chance of getting eaten. If you play a game in which you bash each other in the head repeatedly many times a year over many years, there is a chance that your head may not be in perfect condition. I'll bet my knees are in better shape now than the average retired offensive lineman. Why? Because I didn't have 275 pound guys beating on me play after play for years. But, I also made in twenty years of hard work what an All-Pro offensive lineman makes in six weeks. There is high risk in football. And high reward.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would venture to say that if you took a look at all of the suicides of men aged 45-75 in the United States over a ten year period, you would find that job/money issues is one of the top causes. Health issues would be another high cause. Isn't that the issue that these former NFL players have? I am sorry that these things happened, but it is the nature of the business. It would be like Jack Hanna getting killed by lions at the San Diego Zoo, and then his family suing the zoo. If you play with lions, you have a chance of getting eaten. If you play a game in which you bash each other in the head repeatedly many times a year over many years, there is a chance that your head may not be in perfect condition. I'll bet my knees are in better shape now than the average retired offensive lineman. Why? Because I didn't have 275 pound guys beating on me play after play for years. But, I also made in twenty years of hard work what an All-Pro offensive lineman makes in six weeks. There is high risk in football. And high reward. >>

Well said.

Id be willing to bet that there is an extreme amount of jealousy harbored by these former players towards todays players, the money that they make is vastly different as well as the medical treatment and knowledge in the game nowadays and the bottom line is they want a piece of the money.
  • Options
    Those are good points.

If you want to play in the NFL, then you have to be aware of the potential long term hazards of playing in the NFL.

Just like going on a bear hunt, or being a police officer. You have to weigh the risks.
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    Jerry Seinfeld said it best:

"There are many things that we can point to that proof that the human being is not smart. The helmet is my personal favorite. The fact that we had to invent the helmet. Now why did we invent the helmet? Well, because we were participating in many activities that were cracking our heads. We looked at the situation. We chose not to avoid these activities, but to just make little plastic hats so that we can continue our head-cracking lifestyles."

"The only thing dumber than the helmet is the helmet law, the point of which is to protect a brain that is functioning so poorly, it's not even trying to stop the cracking of the head that it's in..."

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars