Home Precious Metals
Options

Fraud prevention in internet sales

I've been getting emails every few days from individuals who have apparently picked up my dealer information from online sites. Anyone have advice on avoiding fraudulent credit card activity? Is Pay pal sufficient to prevent unauthorized CC use?

Usually the request is the same: we want to buy 1 oz. gold coins or $20 Libs./Saints. They want quick delivery. Very suspicious; why contact me instead of buying on ebay or all the bulllion companies that do CC sales at incrementally greater charges over wired funds? Thanks for feedback on this, I don't doubt that it is a common query.

Comments

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Get em all the time. Click "delete"
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the www. Wish I had some sound advice other than common sense will go a long way, be "general" in things you say about your personal business on the internet.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get them several times aday, most are scams i am sure. I ignore em. Also, get calls in the store for the same thing as well as the teletype calls. I just hang up on the tt calls, and tell them I dont ship gold out , and dont take CC payments. That pretty much ends the call.
  • Options
    I emailed the inquirer that I would need $2000 a coin for bullion gold and $20 old gold and would take several days for the transaction to be verified. He was still eager and wanted to move forward, but I ignored his email. Maybe I should have upped the ante to $2500 a coin! I know a shop owner who agrees to do a deal with green cash shipped to him, but he never hears back from them after that. Also have been getting inquiries from African gold mining operations looking to ship overseas. Certainly one of the most fungible and saleable products on planet Earth, and they want someone to export to? Do I have rocks in my head?
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    STOP

Just this kinda thing they go after. Its not so much even the topic of the orginal offer or email, but to feel out a Mark, and see if they'll flirt w diaster.

With each information exchange, the Mark gives more info and goes further down the hole, until its to late. It's very easy from the exchange for the scammer to figure out what gives the Mark the feeling of confidence, and they simply just feed that back to the Mark, building the sting one step at a time, getting the Mark to feel committed, as they go in for the kill. Worst yet, they have all the info on the Mark, know their business, maybe even account numbers, etc...

<< <i>I emailed the inquirer that I would need $2000 a coin for bullion gold and $20 old gold and would take several days for the transaction to be verified. He was still eager and wanted to move forward, but I ignored his email. Maybe I should have upped the ante to $2500 a coin! I know a shop owner who agrees to do a deal with green cash shipped to him, but he never hears back from them after that. Also have been getting inquiries from African gold mining operations looking to ship overseas. Certainly one of the most fungible and saleable products on planet Earth, and they want someone to export to? Do I have rocks in my head? >>

COA
  • Options
    A huge number of credit card numbers were compromised last month (millions). They are being sold on the internet as the banks scramble to cancel them. These guys are just trying to get what they can now.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback on this. It looks like they get email information for dealers on the NGC and PCGS dealer lists online and then spam them. And I would think that Paypal or other credit card processor would cancel any order using a stolen credit card?