Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Heritage has 12 LIBERIAN LISTINGS COMMING UP..LINK

Some of these don't come up very often.

The Liberian Officials and Patterns have always been of Historical U.S. History as late as 1971 the U.S. Mint, Minted the Liberian Official Coinage.

The Fact that they have a Lady Liberty on the Obverse and the motto IN GOD WE TRUST on reverse and other symbols referencing their mother Republic is really interesting.

They don't however have a Moneyed populance therefore the demand for their own coinage heritage don't appear to be very high. It seems that out of the country collectors make up the preponderance of the collecting demand. Therefore bargains can still be had in relative terms.

I don't own any of the coins referenced at heritage nor do I know who owns them. I'm just an interested collector of Coins I like. U.S. German, French, Liberian, Mexican, Spain, Canada, England, Scotland, Ireland, Netherlands, Swiss, Etc
NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I've always liked the Liberty head on those.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Don't see the aluminum ones frequently.

Two I owned, sold, and subsequently wish I had back:

• Options

<< <i>Don't see the aluminum ones frequently.

Two I owned, sold, and subsequently wish I had back:

image >>

The 1st one pictured KMPN54 PF66 RB Ngc#1522707-016 I purchased from you some 3 or so years ago and now I have misplaced or lost it and 5 other Coins and haven't located them yet.
    I don't know where I put them and it drives me bananas, because I loved that Coin, its a looker and it has an excellent design. I tried to cross it at PCGS but it came back still in the NGC Holder, no cross at pf66RB. Still a stunning coin. I just hope it didn't go out in the trash, me thinking it was an empty box or envelope; I hate to think of it being buried in 4 tons of trash and dirt 6' under at a landfill. I guess that would be a great test for the NGC slab to under go when someone finds it 500 years from now.
  • Options
    For all the Liberian Collectors, found this on ebay Link
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For all the Liberian Collectors, found this on ebay Link >>

Ewww! Icky modern coins, EWWWWWWW!!!! image
  • Options
    They are modern, but what jumped out to me was the lowest mintage of the official sets, only 920. Since there is no definitive book on the Liberian series beginning at 1847-current (official and patterns) not the medal type stuff and other modern commemerative sanctioned coins, I had thought the 1968-1973 Liberian official sets Minted by the United States Mint had the lowest mintage, but the lowest appears to be the 1977 Liberian Mint set minted by The Royal Mint Of London
  • Options
    did any one purchase one of the Liberian pieces from the Heritage auction recently?
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not me. I thought you were going to.

I'd love to purchase your Pn54 pictured above.
  • Options
    If I can ever find it, it wouldn't be for sale. For all I know its sitting in some landfill 6' under. Too nice of a coin for that, so I hope I run accross it someday.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I was going to, but couldn't get myself to bid. I was afraid I would have gotten myself into a bidding war. Maybe next time, if there is a next time.....
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If I can ever find it, it wouldn't be for sale. For all I know its sitting in some landfill 6' under. Too nice of a coin for that, so I hope I run accross it someday. >>

I hope you find it. It is a nice one.

Does anybody know why so many countries issued essais in 1c or 2c denominations, all in about the 30mm diameter range and usually in bronze, around 1890? These exist for so many countries (and I take it are unofficial). I have always thought they were struck by minting machinery companies trying to get contracts to provide equipment to outfit government mints.

Any thoughts?