Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Collecting the Milwaukee Braves

I just got back into collecting cards again after about 20 years away from the hobby. The 90's card "boom" took most of my interest out of the hobby, and since then I began collecting autographs, bobbleheads, and game used memorabilia from the Milwaukee Brewers.

Here is the short story: My step father who collected cards through the 50s passed away about two years ago. My step sister got 95% of them, however, I was given the opportunity to go through them and pick out ones I wanted. Naturally, I took majority of the stars before my step sister foolishly sold the rest before giving me a chance to help her with the process, or match another person's offer (Cards were from 1952-1958, late 60's, late 70's, and mid 80's). She had no idea what she really had, or how much that collection meant to my step dad because he stopped collecting for the same reasons I did. I'm sure he would've much rather seen his collection continued and treasured than just sold for a quick cash in.

Had I known then what I do now, even after just six months of learning more about PSA and grading, I would've mailed them all in before she remembered they existed.

But enough with the negativity and bitter memories, on with the poisitives! I've gotten majority of the cards graded, and I want to keep up with my new found obsession. However, stars as we know, are pricey. So I figured that my Grandfather loved the Milwaukee Braves. Infact, he never missed a Milwaukee hope opener (Braves or Brewers) until he passed away. I thought a nice way to find out more about his favorite team and help remember our times talking baseball together would be to collect all of their team sets.

With my new goal set, I'd like some advice on going about building my collection. I think I can help bring up some good questions that other new collectors may have as well.

I plan on sticking to PSA 6 and 7. That way I'm building a reputable collection that I can take some pride in. Possibly upgrade once this is completed. On average, what grade do most people collect? When is it okay to "settle?" It appears that the 1953 topps might be easier for me to assemble (financially and availability wise) through a PSA 5 or 6 average, while maybe the the early-mid 60's sets could be easier to assemble at closer to a 7 level.

For those of you who have built sets, is there a particular strategy you have used? I'm one card short of completing the 1954 and 1955 Bowman sets (Logan 106 runs, and Ernie Johnson, respectively), and have just begun working on the 1954 and 1955 topps sets (though the 1954 Aaron may be awhile). Aaron, Spahn, and Mathews cards will be the most pricey, but again, I don't want to get 3's just to complete the set. I think if I stay focused at completing one set at a time, it will keep me focused, instead of looking at this project as a very dim light at the end of a long tunnel.

Is it of my best interest to buy graded cards, or look for ungraded ones and send them in? I'm currently buying graded because I'm getting them online, and it's much harder to decifer "NM" online than when it's already been graded. I think I can be ballpark for what it will be graded at, but don't wanna risk overspending on a non graded card thinking it's higher than it is.

Finally, is eBay pretty much the best route to go? I've gone to shows and looked around at online pricing. It seems that if the urgency to pull the trigger on one card is there, an online dealer is the way to go. If a collector is patient, you can find what you need on eBay in time.

Any tips from more veteran collectors would be appreciated. I know this will take me some time, which I like. There's 415 cards, I have about 45 so far. I know it won't be something completed in a year, and I like that it can't grow any further once it reaches 100%.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, hello, how are ya? image

Sounds like you are off to a good start. If you put the sets together in mid grade or perhaps a little nicer it may be more economical to purchase cards already graded.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Any card of value (Aaron, Mathews, Spahn, Yount rookie, Molitor Rookie, Short prints) I would buy graded to make sure it is not altered. As for the other common players I would go raw from this site and reputable dealers. Also, you can send you want list around to the group and they will do most of the work for you.

Good luck
  • Options
    Disclaimer - I'm not a big collector like you'll find with many other PSA board members, but I entered the hobby like you about a decade ago and have some experience to share.
    -The best advice you'll find on this board is almost a mantra - "buy the card and not the holder"
    -Are you "investing" or "collecting"? Cards are not an investment unless you are a dealer and you sell, sell, sell everything you get as soon as you get it. That is a business, not a hobby.
    -Ungraded cards (called raw) on Ebay and with most dealers are hardly ever the grade as advertised.
    -Don't buy more than you can afford
    -I agree with the post that getting graded stars and ungraded common players is a good plan as is buying low cost graded commons at a price less than grading fees, so long as you like the card and you want a fully graded set.
    -The grading of cards makes them marketable commodities, providing consistency in pricing.
    -The grading of cards is to assure the buyer the card is not altered. I've taken chances on "raw" cards and have trimmed and colored cards that were not able to be returned.
    -Have a plan and a budget
    -Have someone to share this with as you complete the collection and let them participate.

Well, that's my 2 cents... good luck and have fun.
    1964 stand ups
    1975 mini's
    1954 Wilson Franks
  • Options
    Oh, and welcome the boards! Turn on your IM so others can contact you about the cards you are seeking / buying / trading.
    1964 stand ups
    1975 mini's
    1954 Wilson Franks