Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Met Jim Tressel the other day...

Coach Tressel talked to my son's high school football team monday night (Tressel is good friends with one of the dads). He spoke for 40 minutes without a note in front of him on topics like attitude, heart, education and what it takes to succeed. Thought it was funny that at one point he jokingly made fun of the intelligence of lineman and pointed at my son (Center). He obviously did not know that my son has a 4.4 GPA ha ha. Problems at Ohio State aside, he did a great job and I am sure that was an experience these kids won't soon forget.

image[/IMG]

Comments

• Options
    JohnnyDJohnnyD Posts: 520 ✭✭
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    good stuff.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice! image
  • Options
    Had the opportunity to meet Jim at a show in Columbus. Very engaging and gave everyone ample time. Scandal aside, he's one of the good guys.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Cool. He remains a class act.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a Michigan man.... But being a good guy/coach to kids is what it's all about. Nice read.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to ask if he was wearing a sweater vest. .... This thread did not disappoint
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    I'm an OSU fan, so I'll admit I'm already a bit biased. But I have my own Tressel story (ok more like my family's story). I think it's been 8 years ago now that I had an Uncle that was killed in a motorcycle accident. It was the beginning of his youngest son's senior year in high school and my cousin was also a starting WR on the Football team. They live in a very small town in Ohio. About a week after his passing the house phone rang at my Aunt's house and the caller I.D. showed up with the name "Jim Tressel" on it. My Aunt answered, expecting it to be some kind of joke or just some guy that shared the name. She was stunned when she realized it really was him on the other end of the phone. He spoke with her for a while, talked with her about the family, and offered his condolences. As it turns out a friend of the family that knew Tressel had contacted him and relayed the ordeal to him.

But the phone call was not all that he did. The following week my two male cousins were invited to meet Mrs. Tressel at their house so that they could attend the OSU/MSU game together in Columbus and sit with Mrs. Tressel during the game. They got to go out onto the field and meet the players, speak with them, etc. My Aunt and her daughter were also offered free tickets for a "Spa Day" (guess they weren't interested in the game).

His mistakes at OSU were obviously some very large ones. But the guy that went to all that trouble during the football season and did all of this for people he didn't even know gained a lifetime of respect from my family.
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Great thread.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED