Home Sports Talk
Options

Pro Football HOF Questions

Hypothetical situation here: If in Super Bowl II, Daryle Lamonica were to have had the game of his life, and the Raiders upset the Packers, would Lamonica be in the Hall of Fame? Keep in mind, Joe Namath is in the HOF, and his stats are certainly not as good as Lamonica's (more yards over a longer career, but a ton more interceptions).

Second question: If that upset had happened, would Joe Namath be in the Hall of Fame today? Keep in mind, an AFL upset of the NFL would have taken place a year earlier, so the Jets win would not have seemed so large, and Broadway Joe's legacy would not be nearly as large.

Third question: Assuming that upset, is the trophy still named the "Vince Lombardi Trophy" if his Packers are the victim of the big upset?
Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.

Comments

• Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    Ed Sabol got Joe in the hall. I think Your dead on for Lamonicka in the hall, and i don't know why he doesn't get more looks. Joe Namath's statistics don't matter it was the persona and the fact that he was a winner! (Which i think stabler should be in as well for being a winner and sb champ) and if Lombardi hadn't won the second time perhaps it would be named after a prominent nfl alum or perhaps even the Lamar Hunt trophy as he made the super bowl. Idk.
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Winning a Super Bowl is very important to a quarterback's rankings. Look at Tarkenton's statistics, but losing in 3 out of 3 big games hurts him when it comes to discussions on who was best all-time. He NEVER gets mentioned. What if he had won two or all three he played in? Possibly four if Vikings go in 1975 when Cowboys win on disputed call.

Lamonica was a superb QB, winning a Super Bowl would have helped, but I don't think he was better than Stabler, so I'll say no to HOF.

Namath was so much more than the Super Bowl hype, but it his "guarantee of victory" is still what everyone talks about. He might not have made it into the hall without that win.

Lombardi prolly still has the trophy named after him he had a great reputation, can't see that one loss hurting him that much.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭
    As a raider fan going way back......lamonica was decent but certainly not hof caliber.
    no change even if he wins the SB.
    Stabler was definately better.

A far as namath...u can argue stats till the cows come home. But if u never saw him play u r wasting ur time.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ed Sabol got Joe in the hall. I think Your dead on for Lamonicka in the hall, and i don't know why he doesn't get more looks. Joe Namath's statistics don't matter it was the persona and the fact that he was a winner! (Which i think stabler should be in as well for being a winner and sb champ) and if Lombardi hadn't won the second time perhaps it would be named after a prominent nfl alum or perhaps even the Lamar Hunt trophy as he made the super bowl. Idk. >>

I agree on Lamonica as well, had he beaten the Packers he might very well be a HOF'er. I also wouldn't be against Stabler in the HOF.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.