Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Whats the story with Philadelphia Football?

Any info on this company. They were not out long and only did 1964-1967. I think they did some non sports stuff but I wouldnt count on it. Could anyone provide some info about this company and set?
Thanks again

Comments

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    They did the 1966 Tarzan set. Philadelphia gum company.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thought they might of done something like that. But does anyone have any info as to why they went out of business, Im guessing they just couldnt compeat with topps. Or did they get bought out. Just wondering bc these few sets are considered main stream but they only were out for a few years.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    From Wikipedia
    The Philadelphia Chewing Gum Company was an American candy, chewing gum, and confectionery company.

The company was established in 1948 in Havertown, Pennsylvania, by Edward P. Fenimore (a longtime chewing gum expert who was with Bowman Gum). His son Edward L. Fenimore, served as president of the company and for a period, as the Chairman of the National Association of Chewing Gum Manufacturers. His sons, Edward P. II & Richard L., later joined him on the management team, making the company a third generation family owned and operated business. All products, many of which were sold under the Swell brand name, were manufactured in a 200,000-square-foot (19,000 m2) factory just west of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In July 2003, Concord Confections acquired the Philadelphia Gum Company and its brand names and shortly after closed the Havertown plant (Concord was acquired by Tootsie Roll Industries in 2004). Recent products include bubble gum cigars aimed at the 2008 presidential election.

On March 31, 2009, the township filed a Declaration of Taking for the condemnation of the property formerly occupied by Swell Bubble Gum, at 891 Eagle Rd. Under letter dated 6/2/09, the owners of the factory tendered possession of the property to the Township and requested payment of the "estimated just compensation." On 6/10/09, the Board of Commissioners directed that the estimated just compensation, 1.26 million dollars, be remitted to the owners.

From 1964 to 1967, Philadelphia Gum had a license from the National Football League to produce trading cards of leading football players, while Topps produced cards for the rival American Football League. The company also produced a set of 55 self-adhesive stickers of Marvel Comics superheroes, as well as trading cards based upon "World War II," "Men of the Green Berets," "The Story of Robert F. Kennedy," and many others. It briefly produced novelty baseball items, including baseball cards.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Thanks man. that was some nice info!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    You are welcome. Here is some more info I just found:

The Philadelphia Gum Company was well-known to collectors for its four sets of NFL cards from 1964-'67. A generation before those football cards, the company made two baseball sets to sell with its gum. One was made to promote the film The Babe Ruth Story starring Willam Bendix, and the other commemorated baseball highlights. Like the 1948 Bowman and Leaf cards, these sets were among the first cards of the post-World War Two era.

Sold one at a time in wax packs with gum for a penny, the 1948 Swell Sport Thrill set has 20 cards. Each showcases a memorable moment in baseball history, mostly in World Series and All-Star Game action. Then-current Brooklyn Dodgers are also heavily represented. The set features events like Mickey Owen's dropped third strike in the 1941 World Series, Bob Feller's 16 strikeouts in one game and Ted Williams's 9th inning home run in the 1941 All-Star Game. Other cards feature Jackie Robinson, Walter Johnson and Lou Gehrig. Four cards are considered difficult: 9, 11, 16 and 20.

Card fronts feature a black and white game-action photo that takes up most of the card. The photo is framed by baseball-related artwork and a white border. A box above the photo identifies the card: "Sport Thrills, Highlights in the World of Sport." Below the player is a white box that gives the card title. A credit is given at the bottom of the photo to the news organization that supplied it. Card backs are standard for 1940s gum cards: a written description of the highlight is given, with a "headline" at the top and an ad for Swell bubble gum below.

This set has never been pouplar and has managed to stay under the hobby radar for a number of reasons. First of all, collectors in 1948 weren't that interested in cards showing "old-time" players -- even Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig -- and the presence of Joe DiMaggio and Ted Williams didn't change that fact. Nor were they interested in action shots when other cards showed head shots and posed action photos. Perhaps kids felt the cards resembled their parent's newspapers too much. Despite these negatives, the set is loaded with stars and is small enough to be completed by an average collector without a huge cost. That makes it unique among 1940s gum card sets. The only hurdle in collecting the set is finding the cards; they're not always readily available.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    The Philadelphia Gum company certainly didn't go broke from paying creative teams. All four football sets are slight variations of each other. Very dull.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    that dullness is overcome by the inclusion of multitudes of popular rookies and HOFers contained within the four football sets.....the colors and photos of the Philly Gum cards are pretty cool, and once you get a crisp, like-new example in hand, they're very tough to resist.
  • Options
    Popular rookies was just luck on their part. You get the rights to the NFL. Gale Sayers appears. You make a card of him. I collect the HOFers and minor stars from these sets (as I am a football junkie), but I look at the Philadelphia sets as being pretty plain vanilla. One card on its own looks fine. You look at a few hundred of them and it gets kinda stale. I find the photography all over the board. There are some fantastic photos that are very crisp and clear. On a number of them, they are blurry and out of focus. Funny thing is, my favorite designs from this company are their Pro Football HOF sets that they issued in the late 80's. Those look great. I just have a hard time comparing the 67's. The Topps set is so gorgeous, and the Philly set is yellow and bland. I wish they would have taken the canary yellow 1967's and done something a bit more interesting like they did with those HOF sets.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    good topic for debate here......certainly, the fact that two different companies were producing cards during that 4 year stretch gives us the opportunity to indulge a little more, and the Topps sets are no slouches, although i'm not crazy about the '67 set, which i contend is just as bland as any Philly issue from the period.

definitely a matter of preference.
  • Options
    Yeah, I suppose. I am ok with the 64 Topps set. I don't care for the 66's at all. I like the 65 tallboys, but the size makes them a condition monster. But, I just absolutely adore the 67's. With the Philly sets, I see 64-66 as essentially being the same cards. 1964: Rectangular bar on the bottom with the player name in big letters and the team and position in smaller letters below. 1965: Same thing, except the colors are now gone, and an NFL shield is on the card. 1966: The colors are back, and the same format is employed, except that the box is on the top of the card instead of the bottom. 1967: Box is now back on the bottom, the shield is gone again, and there is a yellow border. Of all of these, I like the 1966's the best. They are better than the television set that Topps put out. To be honest, although I have probably 75 PSA graded Philly cards, if you asked me which set was which (other than the yellow one), I doubt I could do it without serious thought.
  • Options
    i agree with you about the appearances, occasionally they seem to blend into one and it gets slightly confounding.

that's why i sort the raw ones from the backs. image
  • Options
    I am also starting to love the phillys sets more and more. The 1967 is my favorite because of the yellow boarders. Ive owned 2 1967 Philly Gale Sayers PSA 9s and Im looking for a 3rd some day. That card is my favorite of his and second would be the 1969 Topps issue of gale.
    I can see why people dont like the 1967 philly set but to me it stands out of all the 1960s sets that are regular size. I put tall boys in a different ball park as they take up so much room. But of all the tall 1965s are #1.
    I remember back in about 1995 I passed up on a 1965 Philly wax box at 40.00 a pack because the dealer tallked me out of it. He said theres nothing in that set why would you want it! He was kind of mad because I was interested in the wax box so I passed and went to Mark Murphys table and bought a 1980-81 BK box instead.
    Still wish I bought that box.

Oh and the same show another guy just got about 200 1959 1 cent BB packs and I walked up right after he bought them. He wanted 25.00 each but he also talked me out of them becuase he said they would all be gum stained and wax staind so your really just buying a wrapper kid. Was a bad day of buying!!
  • Options
    this is what i love about you handyman......

you start a thread about a particular topic, i.e. Philly FB sets.

after a few responses, you come back and chime in about your own experience regarding the topic, but then somehow move on to a new story about something completely different, like 1959 Topps penny wax packs.

if only more posters were like you. complex. opinionated. tough to follow.

but never dull.

unlike the Philly FB sets. image
  • Options
    LOL. I guess I am a di#k most of the time.

I guess my main question was why didnt they produce more years than the short period they did make them. Because I was thinking to myself man I like those 1967s wonder what the 1968s would have looked like. And it made me sad because they never made a 1968 set yet I wish they had. So I said why why did they stop in 1967 and my man Dboneesq said hey dumb as use the internet you lazy mofo. But he was nice and understanding that Im lazy most of the time and also dont know what I want the rest of the time.
    Where am I?
    Just wanted to hear some thoughts on these sets but I think I only hear whats in my head.
    BTW Im full blown crazy.

So the philly sets stole some of the players from the topps sets by having the rights hugh? That is a game changer in my mind for what topps would have looked like if the philly sets kept going. Am I reading this right? I always thought the 1964,1966-67 Topps sets were lacking the goods but didnt relat them(phillys having the rights) for some reason.
    a 1967 Topps Gale Sayers would be a nice thought. Would have liked to have both.
    I also wonder if that would have increased the demand for topps if the Philly sets were never made. They would have some mean RC in topps form from those years. But they had a large gap with them all being in the Philly sets.
    This is really on my mind now. Ive always not liked those topps sets because they didnt have any key players in them. But now Im thinking the Philly rights took away from topps in a way. This is warping my opinion as we speak.
    I brought up the 1965 wax box bc the guy said there was nothing in the sets. Which made me question it. I know its not topps. I was mainly interested bc it was old wax only. But he changed my mind like this thread is now.
    This is an interesting area for football sets....
    This is a mess of thoughts and I dont expect anyone to understand it.
    Ill call this a proof sheet of thoughts.

Topps Vs Philly with who gets what cards.
    When I first started collecting there were a few companies and they all had the same Rookies and Stars. Donruss, Fleer, Topps Ripken rookies you can have them all in each product.
    I just thought Topps choose not to have those rookies in there sets from those years and that made me just not desire the sets. Its starting to sink in now that Philly had a chance to become a main stream brand but lacked what needed at the time. The 1964-65 I agree seem to look the same and come out blured like said earlier by a board member. I do like the 1967 Design with the yellow. But I do wish to have seen some of those key cards in the main Topps sets now.

100 edits.
  • Options
    I mentioned those Swell sets earlier. Did you guys like those at all? I know they were of former players, but I used to mail those out like crazy to retired HOFers. I've got quite a few of them signed that are absolutely gorgeous.
  • Options
    Pics?
  • Options
    I don't have my scanner nearby, but here are some ebay auctions that show what I am talking about.

1988 Swell

1989 Swell (My personal favorite of the designs)

1990 Swell
  • Options
    Those are a nice design
  • Options
    I had this posted on Muggymans thread but it shows a 1967 Cello box with 36 packs.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • Options
    DAMN!!!!!! THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Seeing old wax for me is like when a raccoon sees tin foil.
  • Options
    I love the Phiily football sets. They were actually the first sets I started building for the Registry. I'm at 100% for all of them, but I'm always looking to upgrade.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    I love them too, especially 1966. I think the photography is great--very classic and representative for that era of football photography. The simple design and nice use of colors (except for '65) makes the cards attractive in my opinion. Philly gum also did sets on the TV shows Daktari and Dark Shadows.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

The design of the Philly football sets is simple.

Maybe that's why I like them so much.
    No rainbows or lightning or fireworks or artsy fartsy crap.
    Just a picture of the player, the name of his team, and his position.

And that's exactly what a football card is supposed to look like.
    Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    mojorobmojorob Posts: 392 ✭✭
  • Options

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    What is that piece?
  • Options
  • Options
    Oh sweet!
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Kirk some amazing pieces you have. They look fantastic !
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Great looking displays Mojo.

I collect all the Phily sets:

Purchased on ebay a few years ago. The cello pack ended up grading a PSA 7.

Below, a Sonny 4 of a kind:

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    I miss Muggyman

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options