Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wrestling All Stars Question..Which ones are sleepers?

I know Hogan and Andre are hot but in the set of 1982 A & B, What other cards are difficult to get in high PSA grade?I do not think the guides are so accurate when it comes to these sets. Are any commons commanding high prices? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are quite a few that are difficult.

Any card that still has a top grade of a PSA 8 or PSA 9 you know are extra tough. What makes these sets so unique is there are many performers that were a persons favorite.

In the past few weeks there have been a number of auctions that have been strong. One that comes to mind is the PSA 10 Joyce Grable Pop 2. It went for $320. When I first started collecting the sets I had never heard of her.

There are so many regional stars in the sets that it makes for lots of different cards that have personal meaning.

I would suggest checking out the registry and you will quickly learn what cards are more tough then others.

• Options
    I just ran through my Photobucket and picked out some to show.

• Options
    Love that Crusher and Killer Kahn.

dpeck you think 85 wwf Topps set has any sleepers. In both Topps and OPC versions. Aren't their a lot of rookies in that product. Would that be the Piper to own? I know Hogan is very popular in it and George Animal Steele.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    If he has "Bruiser" in his name is a great card to have outside of Hogan, Andre, and Flair.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    I really like all of the 80's wrestling sets. That being said I am not sold on the Topps and OPC product for big returns currently.

If I had to choose one it would be the OPC. I have about 25 sets of those that I bought looking for high grade cards. There are only a few cards in the set so far that seem to have a good chance of going for good money.

The Randy Savage and Elizabeth and the Andre The Giant card are two I think that will do very well in high grade. I have a PSA 9 of the Savage and have both of these cards at PSA right now hoping for strong results.

The reason the Wrestling All Stars get so much attention is they are just unique and blow all wrestling cards away.

• Options
    SOme high grade BGS cards are on bay including a Bruiser and Crusher
    crusher
  • Options
    I do like that Chrusher card.

It looks like a great candidate for a crack out and a PSA 8.

This is one of the most tough cards in set. Many of the sealed sets have him as the back card.

• Options
    That Crusher does look really nice..........
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A The Chrusher

The link was not working. Here is the card. These in NM-MT and up are very tough and going to get a lot more expensive. The last one was in a lot of three and went for $456.

It was the prized card of the batch.
  • Options
    I agree that it was the best card of the batch but the Dick the Bruiser in a PSA 8 is not too shabby either as it often is OC as you know.
  • Options
    Yes The Dick The Bruiser card is a great one too.

I think the fact that from that lot there is a PSA 10 of the Dick The Bruiser and Pedro Morales show just how tough The Chrusher's card is. With only one PSA 9 and only four PSA 8's that is impressive. I have subbed a number of the cards in the pop report and the pop totals are not low for a lack of trying. Most cards are not in the investment grade range and never get submitted.

• Options
    You guys seeing a lot more cards going to BGS now? are they much easier grading them. I know in dpecks SMR article he notes a few times of knowing people taking high grade psa cards to crossover to bgs. Probably a mistake. Don't psa graded 8's sell better or on par with bgs 8.5?

Also see a seller in Hawaii has some nice PSA's on Ebay.
  • Options
    The fist guy to start really buying the graded cards happened to like BGS better. He crossed over a Ric Flair, a Jesse Ventura and Jerry Lawler so the pop reports on each are over stated by one card.

I bought my first two sets from him.

I got my 1982 A with a PSA 9 Hulk Hogan and PSA 9 Jerry Lawler for $199 and the raw set was very nice.

I also purchased my first set of 82B from him for $159 and that included a BGS 9.5 Iron Sheik, a BGS 9 Tito Santana, a BGS 9 Sergeant Slaughter and a very nice raw set. All three of these crossed over which was very exciting.

He was kind enough to include 27 extra cards from the 1982 A that were in decent condition.

I personally have not had good luck with BGS cards in or out of the holder crossing over to PSA. It is less then 50%. I just use the rule of thumb that until the grade exists in PSA form it does not exist.

• Options
    Does seem right now on Ebay a bunch graded BGS cards are showing up. Race is getting a lot of action that ends tonight.

To the OP, you need to get SMR that features dpecks collection. The last half of it features pecks picks. Martel, JYD, Andre, Dusty to name a few were featured cards. Don't have the article in front of me. Few others were mentioned.

dpeck you deal much with American Icon autographs. Just purchased my first psa/dna slab wrestling auto from them. 85 Topps WWF. Maybe they are in market and will get some of these wrestling all stars cards for future signings. Or do they get these cards signed, but sell them right away?
  • Options
    Yes I have dealt with American Icon before. I got nine Hulk Hogan cards signed when they did the signing with him. I gave away two of the Topps Hulk Hogan's to my brothers for Christmas. I kept a signed copy of the 85 Topps #1, one of each of the OPC version and four of the Wrestling All Stars. Those were BGS crack outs and are sweet!

Yes there are some cards ending tonight. The Austin Idol if it gets any more action will launch. That card is insanely tough in a nice grade. The Harley Race will never grade PSA 9 do to the lower border centering. That is why there is only one in a PSA holder and the primary reason I cracked out my Hogans to get signed. PSA is super tough on the lower centering where BGS will give it a 9.5 as long as it is 50/50 side to side no matter what the bottom or top looks like.

• Options
    BGS 8.5 Idol went for mid $300's...
  • Options

Here is my PSA 9 Pop 1. It is a very nice card.

These cards are so tough without a lot of the little print dots on the cards. I was really excited when I purchased this card.

• Options
    spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    Great images!
    Does anyone know how many of each set were made in 1982 and 83?
  • Options
    No one truly knows. As I said in the interview, the stories of 100 sets are way to low but anymore then 2,000 are to high.

When I emailed with Norman Keitzer who made the cards he said they were very limited and barely remembered them. He said Vince McMahon Sr. Came up with the idea and he went along with it.
  • Options
    That PSA 9 Idol is sweet.

Lots of BGS ones go down tonight. Crusher 8.5 is already at $300.
    Is this seller with all BGS ones, cross any high grade PSA into BGS...
  • Options
    This seller subs with both BGS and PSA. The big dealers know which cards to send to PSA and which ones to send to BGS.
  • Options
    Crusher BGS 8.5 got $300, The Bruiser BGS 9 sold for $100. Thought that one would get more. I got outbid on the baron who went for a little over $100.
    JYD was big seller in BGS 9 for $380. Whaoo BGS 9 $265 that must be a tough one.
    A Billy Robinson in both a PSA 9 and BGS 9 went off. With PSA 9 getting $109 and BGS 9 version getting $76. So a nice premium for PSA version.
  • Options
    These were definitely some strong numbers. I was blown away when the Jake Roberts ended at $412. That is a big number and opens up the door for much higher prices on some of the PSA 10's for sure.

The Wahoo McDanial card is a tough one with no PSA 10's. I had a BGS 9.5 I won from an auction from Pre War Card Collector and saw an issue with one of the back corners that would keep it from crossing to a PSA 10 in my opinion and like an idiot I sold it for my cost a couple of months ago to another collector to try and help him with his BGS set. No telling what that would have brought last night.

There is a PSA 9 Jerry Blackwell with a current bid of $405 right now on EBAY. Once again a very strong number for that card.
  • Options
    Total suspect on that Blackwell.....someone with no feedback bidding that on that card?
  • Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Hi King. I'm the seller rarevintageshirts. I assure you I have never heard of the underbidder ever. They are also the only bidder on the Iron Sheik. I think they only bid once and who would think the Blackwell would go for over $400? I was very happy it was seling for $150. Maybe this new bidder is a new player on these cards and hopefully if they win they pay up! I am concerned too about a bidder with no feedback. I'll let you know what happens.

-Mark
  • Options
    I am not accusing you at all but I just find it odd that someone with no feedback would be bidding on the Jerry Blackwell. It is just hard to comprehend.
  • Options
    Yes it is amazingly odd. If he is for real these prices are going to climb even higher if he wants to complete a set.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I am very admittedly biased, but I think some sleepers are Kerry Von Erich, Junkyard Dog, Dusty Rhodes, and Bobby Heenan.
    I have been collecting this set since it first came out, and my auctions for all of the above (with the highest grades available) begin on Thursday on eBay.
    Check them out. All auction style with No Reserve.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Another bidder with 0 feedback bid on my bgs 9 Ventura today. The winner of the Iron Sheik PSA 8 didn't pay yet and I messaged them today. Maybe I should block 0 feedback bidders from bidding from now on but never had a problem with any in the past. We'll see what happens but i'll keep you posted
  • Options
    NHLfightguyNHLfightguy Posts: 525 ✭✭
    Some nice SGC graded have hit Ebay. Have to check pops on some of those.
  • Options
    spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    Those are pretty cool!
  • Options
    waverleewaverlee Posts: 104
    why is superstar graham at 405$ he wasnt even that good
  • Options
    Number one in the set with the cello pack....just like Andre and Rick Martel....tough to get in a nice grade
  • Options
    NHLfightguyNHLfightguy Posts: 525 ✭✭
    The Superstar is a tough one. Featured in SMR article about how tough it is.

• Options
    The Superstar Graham is one of my favorite cards. No one can deny just how awesome he was in the 1970's.

This card is the first card in the third set and it is very tough to find in high grade.

There are not many Mint or higher Superstar Graham cards and many are tied up in collections so there are very few available.