Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Who can solve the puzzle of The 2006 Canadian Twoonie varieties for me?

OK.... I've looked at various sources & am still having trouble determining all the possible varieties of 2006 Twoonies out there.

Do I have them all identified below, or am I missing any?

Thanks!

- - Dave

variety 1: Reverse: traditional Bear. Obverse: single-date "2006" on bottom & maple leaf on top.

variety 2: Reverse: traditional Bear. Obverse: double-date "1996-2006" on bottom & maple leaf on top.

variety 3: Reverse: traditional Bear. Obverse: single-date "2006" moved to top & RCM replaces ML & moves to bottom.
(mid-yr change from variety 1)

variety 4: Reverse: updated bear/aurora rays. Obverse: dble-date "1996-2006" moved to top & RCM replaces ML & moves to bottom.
("10th Anniversary" version.......change from variety 2)

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    There is a variety called the "Pixie Ear" of your variety 4. The ear on the bear is different between the Winnipeg and Ottawa minted coins. Winnipeg struck the "Pixie" coins.

BTW - the name of the bear on this issue is Churchill.

Source: Charlton's Volume 1, 66th Edition, 2012.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Gene:

I feel fortunate enough to have finally figured out the 4 varieties & to still be barely able to read the dates on those coins (if you can believe it)........ I think I'll leave that "pixie ear" version to those with better eyesight or stronger loupes!image

I DID hear that about the bear's name, but was curious about 2 things: (1) isn't the bear a FEMALE?, and (2) If so, what are the names of the 2 cubs that appear on the "Knowledge" variety?!

Thx for the info!

- - Dave

• Options
    These things have been tripping me up since they came out.

Here is what I found.

1st. 2006 bottom - maple leaf at top - normal reverse.

2nd 2006 at top - RCM at bottom - normal reverse.

3rd 1996-2006 at bottom - maple leaf at top - normal reverse

4th 1996-2006 at top - RCM at bottom - aurora bear reverse.

Now I thought there was a single date obv. with an aurora reverse but now I can't seem to find one. Maybe I was dreaming?

• Options
    What I read was that mid-year, they moved the date(s) from the obverse bottom to top & changed the maple leaf at the top to the new RCM logo to the bottom.........

Now what I DON'T know is the overall timing of everything...... did they have at the start of the year both what I've labeled "variety 1" & "variety 2" , and later replaced them at a certain cut-off-date with "variety 3" & "variety 4", or was there some overlap or was the order/timing different?

I haven't found that info anywhere yet..............

And that's not even counting the Ottawa/Winnipeg & Churchill's "pixie ear"!!!!

- - Dave image
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    Churchill is the nme of the Bear on the aurora coin. As far as I know the other bears have not been named.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    I feel a "name the bear cubs" contest coming on!!!image