Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Official 1939-1941 Play Ball Baseball Thread

Is there anyone active on these sets? I am currently at 25% on the 1940 set (which I consider to be the toughest). I've worked on it sparingly (as I usually have my hands in 5-6 things at a time). However, what I like about the set is the classic design and the amazing array of players. Almost every major star from 1940 is in the set (no Bob Feller or Dizzy Dean for some reason). It has DiMaggio, Williams, Gehringer, Ott, Foxx, Greenberg, the Waners, Hubbell, Doerr, Dickey and more as active players and an array of legends of the game such as Shoeless Joe Jackson, Christy Mathewson, Walter Johnson, Honus Wagner, and many more. Because the set (and the other Play Balls as well) fill that void between the Goudeys and the Bowmans, there are a lot of really good players that just aren't on many cards out there that are in the set.

The prices really aren't unreasonable. I got my Mel Ott (6.5) a couple of years ago off of ebay for $189. I picked up a PSA 6 Hank Greenberg for $130. I've gotten a number of HOFers in 6's and 7's for under $100. Of course, I spent quite a bit for the Ted Williams in PSA 6, but being that it is his second year card, it seemed pretty reasonable.

Anyone else collecting any of these sets?

Here's my Jimmie Foxx

Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.

Comments

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Case in point, I just picked up a nice PSA 6 1940 Arky Vaughan for $49.99 off of ebay. I don't know VCP to know what the going rate is, but I just can't see that picking up Ex-Mt PSA graded 72 year old cards of HOFers can be a bad deal for $50.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez Sam, You got your hand in quite a few sets! Nice cards image
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    They're great cards. I'm working with some degree of consistency on the 1940 set, with the others much more on my back burner.
    I have a bunch of '40s - mainly PSA 5 or under, but a few higher, available FS/FT. If anyone is interested in a list, LMK.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Those cards present really well in 5 and 6. Heck, I've seen some gorgeous 3's and 4's out there. Plus, the 1940 set isn't the kind of set that everyone puts together in 7 or 8. The cards just aren't out there. I've got quite a few 6's that have less than 20 graded higher.

My Hank Greenberg

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I had all 3 sets, just recently sold them. Each one has it's strengths and drawbacks, but overall they were a great issue and I wonder what they would've done in '42 had not the war come up.
    I agree that '40's look nice in mid grade, but found that when I collected '41's in the same grade I didn't like them as much, and ended up with a set that was mostly 8's.
    I"m currently working on the '41 set in uncut form, a little over halfway thru- (2) 12 card sheets and (4) 4 card panels. This is going to be pretty tough to complete.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    PRETTY TOUGH? R U Kidding? That's almost impossible . . .
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Also in my opinion the focus/registration on the 41's can be terrible even in high grade, I still loved collecting that set though especially when you could find nice white bordered cards which of course were almost always slightly off center. Never was a big fan of 39 and 40, couldn't deal with the discoloration, always looked dirty to me.
  • Options
    the discoloration is what kept me back from the '40 set for so long, but it contains the most comprehensive number of pre WW2 players, the majority of which would not be playing once the war ended 5 years later.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Isn't that strange? That is one of my attractions to the 40's. I love the sepiatoned feel to them. It actually makes me realize that I am collecting cards that are over 70 years old.
  • Options
    I have a few 39 Playball commons in PSA 8. I bought them really cheap, like $65-80 each. For a mainstream pre WWII set, the 39 playballs seem really low.

In my delusion, I was going to put together a high grade set, 7 and 8's, or maybe some team sets. I know the high numbers sell for a lot. And the Dimaggio and Williams.

I may get some of the hall of famers in a PSA 9. They seem too good to pass up. 40 playballs seem tougher in high grades (8's, 9's seem non existent). The prices for 6's and 7's though seem very reasonable.
  • Options
    Ok, not the greatest pic (quick one on the phone until I get a chance to do it right) but here is just over half the '41 set in uncut form
    I'll have to reframe it if I'm ever able to find any more