Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA Card Rating question

I had a quick question regarding the rating of a card in a set. I am looking at buying a card for a set that I am doing. There are a few copies of the card available very closely priced together. Is there a way to tell which card is rated higher? . I am asking because, in that same set I have around 50 more cards than the next person, they are ranked higher because of the rating. I know it is all about completion but if I have several opportunities to buy a card I would like to buy the higher rated card. I am not sure how to figure this out. Appreciate any help I could get. Thanks.

Working on the following sets
1980's and 1990's Topps Baseball BBCE FASC - Cello or Wax Boxes
1952 Bowman US Presidents PSA 7 & up
Pro Football Hall of Fame Indianapolis Colts PSA Registry Set
June 9th Cubs full ticket or stubs - 1981 to 2020
Andre Dawson Topps Basic registry PSA 10's
Mark Grace Topps Basic registry PSA 10's

Comments

• Options
    The registry seems to have a way of making most collectors make poor choices sometimes for the sake of the Registry.
    Its been said many times, but I'll say it again.... Buy the card not the holder.

Having the " #1 set" does NOT necessarily mean you have the best cards, just the best labels.

Buy the card not the label.

John

All American Hobbies Online Store
  • Options
    This is a great point. I "bought the label" on a Frank Robinson recently off the bay. Its going right back on and I'm going to seek its replacement.

Lesson learned.
  • Options
    You can go to your set and press "edit" and towards the top there is a "What if" highlighted. Click on it and change or add the grade you want and check what would be your status at the top. You can also see on this page what rating the card has.
    Hope that helps.

BTW I've sold some higher graded cards and kept the lower graded card because I liked them more.
  • Options

Also you can go to the top of the set and do a "View set composition"
  • Options
    Hank36Hank36 Posts: 175 ✭✭
    I bought a PSA 8 recently and compared it to a PSA 7 I owned of the same card. Turns out that what I really paid for was better centering on the back of the card. Which is fine, I get it, but I'm having trouble convincing myself that the front of my new, raggedy-edged PSA 8 looks better than my slightly off-center PSA 7. But being that it's a 1972 OPC, the set registry gives the 8 a rating of 32 while the 7 only merits a 28.

I'm keeping both cards.