Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Harlem globetrotters basketball autographed by entire team

Hello,

I have an autographed Harlem globetrotters basketball from the late 90's. My family and I were actively involved in the Make-A-Wish foundation due to my extreme illness as an infant. I would guess I went between 95 and 99 possiblhy 2000 at the absolute latest. I got to meet, get my picture taken with, and received a gameball autographed by the entire team. It sat in a rubbermaid bin for several years with a few other miscelleanous keepsakes and remained untouched for a good 10 years or so. The last time I touched it was to put it in a basketball display case I bought from a sports/memorabilia shop. I am part of another sports memorabilia/collectors forum and made a similar topic to this one. I am just curious to know a price range for this ball. I've seen one sell for $5,000 and I've seen another one sell for $8,000. I was told that because the ball is only from the late 90's that it probably isnt worth much at the present time. But, I am curious, Does anybody think it could be worth anything 10-20+ years down the road? I really have no interest to sell it at this time, I've just had it all these years and it in my opinion is just such a neat item and it was such a great experience that day, That I honestly just want some ball park figures of what it's worth currently and how much it could be worth years down the road.

Thanks everybody!

Comments

• Options
    Need to see pictures.
    Who signed it Does it have meadowlark lemon, curly neal?
    What do autographs look like. Are they bold. What kind of ink are they signed in. What kind of ball.

My guess a ball from late 90's isn't worth much at all. I'd guess $100-$200 ball park. JMO

• Options
    It would take me a few days to get pictures, But I can definitely snap a few. I would have to take it out and give it a real good lookover. I took it out last night and looked at it, I didnt really pay much attention to the signatures, But I do remember and know for a fact that Curly Neal's autograph is indeed on it. It was signed in black permanent marker. It is a harlems globetrotters red/white/blue ball with the bumps all over it so the signatures are alittle tough to read, but they are readable. The signatures are pretty bold and easily seen.
  • Options
    I wouldn't expect over $250 unless you have some rare sigs.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    $100 if you are lucky. Sorry.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    Is Wayne Turner on the ball? He was a Wildcat in the late 90s and I know he later became a Globetrotter because I was at a 'Trotter game at Rupp Arena and he signed my ticket stub! image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Sean1125 - What would be considered a "rare" signature?

Estil - I can only make out so many of the signatures and would need to get a good look at it in the day light.

A few of the signatures that I can make out right now are -
    Joey Wild
    Hawk #11
    Curly Neal (appears that he signed it more than once.)

those are the only signatures I can make out right now. The rest of them I need to look at during the afternoon when I have some really good light.

• Options
    byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭
    Trouble with the Globetrotters is that there are two teams of players and neither one has had big names as members recently. I think sentimental value is going to exceed sale value.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Trouble with the Globetrotters is that there are two teams of players and neither one has had big names as members recently. I think sentimental value is going to exceed sale value. >>

I agree

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Does anybody think it could be worth anything 10-20+ years down the road?

I forgot to answer this part specifically but same answer... $100 if you are lucky. Sorry.
  • Options

<< <i>Trouble with the Globetrotters is that there are two teams of players and neither one has had big names as members recently. I think sentimental value is going to exceed sale value. >>

Kind of this, when I said rare sig I meant maybe an older legend who was at a game or something. It is my understanding the globetrotters were just globetrotters in the late 90's!
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think even a Bulls team auto ball from the late 90's would sell for $5,000-$8,000. This one did not sell and it was autographed by the 2012 team :
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item4ab5b1fcdb&item=320875920603&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=BFtfZ0l05OesI2mJkgCvod1uRXI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_500wt_1202
  • Options
    So whats the bottom line? $100? $200?
  • Options

<< <i>So whats the bottom line? $100? $200? >>

I'd say it isn't worth $50, so $100 is closer

keep it; savor the memories

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Here's one from '95-'96. I can't see what it sold for, but it was estimated at $60-$80.
    http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/10131937
  • Options
    I appreciate the information. I didnt expect the ball to be worth much, But I was hoping it was worth alittle more than what it is. Oh well, It's still a neat item (at least to me.) and brings back some good memories. I know this is probably pushing it, But if I could find a die hard collector and I know that'll probably be almost completely impossible, Do you think it could fetch maybe 250-300ish? Or should I just accept the fact that it's about a $100 ball, keep it, remember the good times that I had the day I got it, and eventually hand it down to my own family/kids later on in life?
  • Options
    Again,

I know this next question is another long shot... But if I were to get it authenticated and had a certificate of authenification, Would it raise the value any?
  • Options

<< <i>Again,

I know this next question is another long shot... But if I were to get it authenticated and had a certificate of authenification, Would it raise the value any? >>

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you're trying too hard to make something out of (relatively) nothing......Enjoy it for what it is and the memories of watching them perform & getting the ball signed..

IMF
  • Options
    Here is a signed ball from 2002, that sold for under $20......If you look at eBay, nearly all of the other signed balls generate no bidding activity. Now maybe yours has a little more value due to it being a Globe Trotters ball, but again there is little demand in the collecting world for modern Globetrotters memorabilia unfortunately.

Completed Sale
  • Options

<< <i>Again,

I know this next question is another long shot... But if I were to get it authenticated and had a certificate of authenification, Would it raise the value any? >>

I don't think the value is going to go up much at all and authentication is not going to be worth it. Another thing to consider is that the Globetrotters don't sign their real names usually and who's to say they don't recycle a nickname and then there's hardly any way to know who really signed it.
  • Options
    There's very little interest in Globetrotters memorabilia. Here's what you could do. Get some other famous former Globetrotters and/or their opponents to sign the ball (ie Connie Hawkins, Medowlark Lemon, Marques Haynes, Reece "Goose" Tatum, Kareem, Red Klotz, etc,...) then it might be worth something in the future.

• Options
    Hey everybody,

Sorry I havent replied in awhile. Things have been pretty hectic and I've been extremely busy. I appreciate all the information I've been given. I dont plan on selling the ball anytime soon, So im just going to hang onto it, Escpecially if its worth next to nothing.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I went to the globetrotters the other month. They played for the world championship against the all-world all-stars, no generals. Luckly, the globetrotters won, cause they had agreed to retire if they lost.

They were selling their basketballs for $20 and were set up to sign autographs. I didn't want to fight the kids, and it's not the globetrotter team I wanted an autograph of.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Something else I found kinda funny, can't remember the guy that leads them now. He didn't really do any tricks, just pretty much stood around and let the young guys do stuff. Like when they do the dribbling and passing in a figure 8, he just stood in the middle.

Wish I could have seen Meadowlark and Curley.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.