Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Homage to Colorfully-Toned Mirror Proof Lincolns

(I posted this in the USCoinsForum, but Steve suggested I post this here as well. This topic is related to PCGS Set Registry since most of the coins listed are also members of PCGS Registry Sets.)

I have developed a new website called

100 Greatest (Most Beautiful) Mirror Proof Lincolns

that attempts to rank the most visually-appealing, colorfully-toned Mirror Proof Lincolns.

To be listed on website, the coin must be PCGS graded and have a TrueView photograph -- this was done, primarily, to level the playing field, so each coin listed was put through roughly the same "process". In addition, the coin must show some degree of non-standard color.

The goals of this new website are fivefold:

1. Promote PCGS by emphasizing their expertise in grading coins, which has become (in my opinion) the industry standard. Every coin participating in this "contest" must be PCGS graded.
2. Acknowledge and honor the beauty of PCGS TrueView Photography (a group led by Mr. Phil Arnold). Every coin participating in this "contest" must have a TrueView photo.
3. Promote Lincoln Cent collecting in general. Show collectors just how stunningly beautiful Mirror Proof Lincolns can be.
4. Honor colorfully toned Mirror Proof Lincolns by gathering the most beautiful specimens into a single location, where those that love the many facets numismatics can easily view (gawk at) them.
5. Develop a new "objective scoring system" for ranking the visual appeal of colorfully toned coins -- called the "Flash Index".
6. Make new discoveries about this series based on statistics gleaned from this endeavor. Interesting finds will be summarized on the "Statistics" page.

The first two objectives, I hoped, would also serve to promote and ultimately drive more customers to PCGS.

In terms of objective 6, thus far two interesting finds have been made on: a.) the ultra rarity of PCGS graded BN Mirror Proof Lincolns and b.) the Enigma of the Year 1961. Both of these finds are detailed in the "Statistics" section.

A few final notes:

- I do realize that the mintages of these Mirror Proof Lincolns are HUGE and I don't pretend to have captured all of the top coins on this website, but I do think this is a good start.

- Please realize that the ranks shown are based on this PARTICULAR SYSTEM, which includes input from 10 predetermined categories. So the "rank" someone might come up with in their own head could be very different than what I developed, as someone else might emphasize color, mirrors, sparkle, or grade more or less than I did. This is NOT the end-all be-all of ranking, but does, I think, provide at least a preliminary basic framework on developing systems that make these kinds of judgments.

- Finally note that I have only accumulated coins down to a rank of #80 or so. I left some space because I am expecting to find more beautiful Mirror Proof Lincolns that will be inserted higher up on the list pushing existing coins down.

- Along with the overall rank of 1 to 100. I also have coins separated and ranked by date. Both by the four extended runs: "1936-1942", "1950-1958", "1959-1964", "1968-1975", which shows the general types of coins one sees in each major run of Mirror Proofs; and I have also separated and ranked them by individual dates.

- I cut off the last (final) year shown on this website at 1975. Beyond that date, beautiful, colorfully-toned Proof Lincolns are quite rare and nearly impossible to find.

Comments

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome site. I used to own so many of them. I made #42.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Nice !!!!!
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i really hope my 37 fits in
    my 58 would rock the block if they buy the color
    should be another week to tell

absolute awesome work you have done...so noteworthy and forever etched in time and numismatics
    i love the whole rating of a toner that you have addressed

with any luck someone picks up on your talent and it turns out to be compensated

this should be entered in ana archives someway or shape too

it is truly beyond amazing

btw...i'm truly surprised dave you but merely claim making of only one here....at 42 too...hmmm

yayy my 37 graded in at pr63rb and made entry on this awesome site...nice
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see