Home Sports Talk

Question about Preacher Roe

I recently picked up a 55 Bowman Preacher Roe and he is in a Baltimore Orioles uniform. The back talks about him coming over to Baltimore in a trade. Preacher never pitched for the O's. Does anyone know why? Did he retire (like Jackie Robinson would do when he got traded from the Dodgers two years later)? Or did he not make the team in Spring Training? I know his 1954 wasn't so great, but the six years before that were very solid.
Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    While this does not give you a complete answer, it may shed some light. (This is from PREACHERROE.COM)

Q: Why wouldn't Preacher sign the Preacher Roe Baltimore Orioles baseball cards for so many years?

A: He never wore the uniform. The baseball card pictured on the Orioles trading card must have been constructed from a uniform of another player. A signed Preacher Roe Oriole card is rare indeed.

Preacher Roe retired by a gentlemen's agreement with Walter O'Malley from the Brooklyn Dodgers organization in the summer of 1954. Afterwards, in December of 1954, O'Malley traded him along with his roommate and long time friend, Billy Cox, to the Orioles organization.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Thanks. I saw the site but didn't see that part.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.