Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

MY MPL"S HAVE NOW BEEN TRUEVIEWED AND REHOLDERED

Early this year I learned that PCGS was introducing their new "prong" type holders which allows viewing of the edges of coins. Then I learned that the first quarter's collectors club special was a 50% discount on all coins submitted for "TrueView" pictures. It seemed like a great opportunity for me to get my nine MPL's professionally photographed and then have them put into the new holders where I could see the edges of these proof coins. And so, on February 21st I sent them off to PCGS. I finally got them back today and I am very pleased with the results. The pictures that Phil Arnold provided fairly show how the coins actually look under good lighting. I was surprised because when I first saw the pictures on the internet I didn't think they all looked the way they were shown. I was wrong! I am very happy with the results because I wanted accurate pictures of my coins. I am also very happy with the new holders and how they display my MPL's. I know some people are disappointed in the new holders, but for display of MPL's I think they are great. For me this has provided additional enjoyment with my Lincoln cent collection and particularly my complete Lincoln proof cent with major varieties set registry. Steveimage

Comments

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Nice Steve !!!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Steve. Would love to see a trueview of the 1937 someday.

Also great to see that you have owned these coins for 20 years. You are a true collector.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• robecrobec Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Steve. They all look great!! I actually noticed the new TrueViews on Thursday. I was looking through the MPL registry to see if anyone had taken advantage of the Quarterly Special. It must have been bitter sweet to have given up all those old holders.
  • CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    Great set Steve and it was a great idea getting the set truviewed after all this time.

I really like the look of the 1910 and 1912 in particular, but also the 1916. I don't even mind the carbon flecks. We're so used to seeing unreal looking high grade matties that to see a more classic imperfect look makes me think of and get nostalgia for collecting as a kid.

Anybody else think the 1913 is a strong 65RD candidate?
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭
    Nice set Steve.

Edited to add: I know you were on pins & needles with your MPL set gone for 30 daysimage
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Bob Dodson: Thanks for your comment.

Dave Kelly: My 1937 IS iridescent and would probably look nice as a TrueView. I may do it someday. I've owned my MPL's for about 20 years with the exception of my 1909VDB which I got 10 years ago this month at the Central States auction. Mike Sturgeon knows ALL about that story!

Bob Campbell: I did like the old coin numbering system on the old holders but that is now history.

Coppercolor: I purchased my MPL's primarily for their historical significance and their rarity. The imperfections were secondary. Now with TrueView I have an accurate depiction and a greater appreciation of what the coins actually look like and that gives me greater satisfaction in owning them.

Mike Sturgeon: I was a little anxious but I was insured. PCGS does a nice job of protecting them while there and the trip took only two days out and then one day back.

Again, thanks to all of you for your nice comments.

Steve image
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always fun to look at a full set of matte proofs image Thanks for sharing the new pics with us image

• SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    One of the additional benefits of the TrueView is that I have downloaded to my computer each of the nine files containing each of my MPL's. I then clicked on the MAX image for each file which brought up real detailed close-ups. I then saved the files on my hard drive. When I now go to each file I can "explode" the image from the standard view to the detailed view and actually see all the diagnostics associated with each of the coins. It is just great to see this kind of detail ON MY COINS on my computer whenever I want to. I've never had this experience before and I believe it is available to everyone who gets "TrueViews". For valuable coins it is cetainly worth it to further enjoy your coins on your computer. JMHO. Steveimage